4wd and locker LIGHTS ?

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
norcal pinz
United States of America

4wd and locker LIGHTS ?

Post by norcal pinz »

my lockers and 4wd is engaging but the lights on the dash don't come on like their supposed to :
I checked for power at the lights and its there ,when i give it ground they come on
what should i check next ??????????? thanks......
710M 1972
710k 1974
pcolette
United States of America

Re: 4wd and locker LIGHTS ?

Post by pcolette »

Look for the switch cover (03-25-02) that is opposite each of the hydraulic locker slave cylinders. The diagram of Group 03-25 shows them fairly clearly. Coming out of each cover is the wire from the switch with a spade connector to the wiring harness. These connectors often get corroded and filled with dirt. A good cleaning/scrapping often solves the problem you're having. The connectors are not the easiest to get at so someone with small hands might help.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

i cleaned all the connectors already its not that, but thanks.
Any other ideas anybody ?
710M 1972
710k 1974
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

It's not likely all 3 switches are bad so how about the connector that all 3 grounds run thru? Any chance that's not fully seated?
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Look for dirty ground connection at switch covers. All the switch does is provide the ground circuit for the lights , double check the 3 wire connector(ground each terminal to test), there is one more connector with the 3 locker circuits under the dash . If you ground each wire at the switch cover and all 3 lights come on, then your switches are most likely dirty or the floating actuating pins are missing.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

im in the middle of it now it appears that the wires inside the switch cover are old and weren't making a good ground, so im going to replace all the short wires inside the covers with new connectors. thanks Jim and folks !
710M 1972
710k 1974
norcal pinz
United States of America

Post by norcal pinz »

i got both locker lights to work but not the 4wd light but now i know how everything works so it shouldn't be too hard to fix that one. :lol:
710M 1972
710k 1974