Voltage reading at noise supressor

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Pinzgauer Pete

Voltage reading at noise supressor

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Was checking voltages on my pinz 710 the other day trying to chase a phantom ignition problem and cleaned up some connections at the noise supressor. Oddly the voltage feed for the supressor (white wire) is 24v with key on engine off but once connected to the supressor drops to 11.42 volts. The only other lead attached to this terminal is the positive lead of the pertronix. When cranking voltages spike to 24v and then fluctuate between 17v and 21v dependant upon engine speed. Am wondering if this reading at the supressor is normal???
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Voltage reading at noise supressor

Post by pcolette »

It may not be the best choice for everyone but I removed the suppressor on both my 710's with no problems noticed. Sorry but I don't have any experience with the voltage drop.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Voltage reading at noise supressor

Post by David Dunn »

Almost all vehicles will bypass the ballast resistor during cranking to give full voltage to the coil. Once you release the starter button, the circuit returns to normal
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)