Fire in the battery box!

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
totaljoint

Fire in the battery box!

Post by totaljoint »

When I was closing the battery box door the other day, there was a flash, bang and immediate smoke. I was impressed!

It turns out that the main positive connection (forward battery, inboard side) had pushed up against the main ground cable (aft battery, inboard side). They cross just behind the positive terminal as the ground traces forward to the main switch. The braided ground had just enough wear on the insulation that it shorted out against a protruding "shoulder" of a positive connector.

I quickly pulled the battery tray forward, releasing the short. The flat braided ground was burned completely apart about 1/4- 1/3 of the way across it's width in that instant.

A new NAPA round ground cable was purchased, and all the wires were removed from the box, the box removed from the truck and inspected. The original rubber gaskets (the rubber rings that seat on the hole's metal edge) that protect the wires passing through the holes into the box, had disappeared to rot. I had to use a step drill bit to open up the passage holes enough to get the new round cable in, and put in new rubber gaskets. All wires were checked and the old electrical tape that had been in there (a long time) was changed and new insulation (corrugated plastic and a section of rubber garden hose) was placed around the wires and connections to the batteries. It gave me an excuse to wire brush all major connections (lots of crud built up on the main switch terminals). Now it's all new from main switch to battery with lots of insulation on the positive terminal.

I wanted to relate this, as I can see the proximity of the connections on the negative and the positive terminals of the batteries is compressed together against the rear wall of the box, when the batteries are slid all the way back (at least with my large sized batteries). A lot of posts speak of adding extra electrical wires (inverters, lights, heaters etc...). In my case this extra bulk caused pinching between the burdened positive pole and a fraying ground cable.

I was lucky that it happened while I was closing the battery box door, and not when bouncing on a trail. That's also the last time I store my extra quarts of oil next to the rear battery! Not smart :roll: .

Wonder if any one else has noticed problems with this electrical "short" coming :wink: ?
Ed
krick3tt

Re: Fire in the battery box!

Post by krick3tt »

I have replaced the grommets through the wall and replaced the ends of the cables. Both neg and pos cable ends were so frayed that only 1/3 of the cable
carried any current. Also checked the crush effect at the rear of the box and adjusted the batteries to not allow the cables to cross. I made a new plywood
holder for the batteries at their tops to keep them in position.

I had anticipated something like you described happening and did not want to be far from help when it did.

The new ends were not crimped but the 'cup' filled with solder and heated to accept the renewed cable ends. Seems to start betted, but the new batteries
may also be responsible for that as well.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
cruzoropeza

Re: Fire in the battery box!

Post by cruzoropeza »

Wow scary stuff I'm checking mine asap!! I know how it is to loose a car to a fire don't want to be there again!