Wiring up my Pinz for a 12 volt 4 pin trailer

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Jerbearyukon

Wiring up my Pinz for a 12 volt 4 pin trailer

Post by Jerbearyukon »

Can you tell me how to wire this up to the converter SAV - 24-12 - seems to me that the tail lightbrakes and turns are linked?

Pinz plug has this:

Turn signal & brake left – one wire
Ground
Turn signal & brake Right – one wire
Tail light right – think these are the clearance
Tail light left – think these are the clearance and these two should just go together with the input brown….right

Converter has this: Input has 4 wires only

Brown-Tail.clearance

Red - stop

Green – right indicator

Yellow – Left indicator

Outputs – 5 wire:

Same as above but an extra white wire for ground (but there is no INCOMING ground connection?

and I only have a 4wire trailer flat cord.

Green - right turn so that’s ok

Yellow – left turn so that’s ok

Brown – tail/park – so that should be ok?

White – ground

So it’s the pinz to the inputs I guess is where I just want to make sure it ok.

Does anyone have a schematic you can email me that shows the whole shooting match together.

Thanks

jer
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Wiring up my Pinz for a 12 volt 4 pin trailer

Post by David Dunn »

Is yours a Swiss Pinz, or anyone elses? :D
Swiss models only have 4 wire output with combine turn/brakes. all others will have 5 with seperate brake and turn indicators.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

In short, you will not use the brake input as the brake lights run through the turn signal circuit (unless you have installed TD tail lamps, then the brake input is needed). Now for the output side(to the trailer) you will need a signal combiner (about $17-$35 at auto parts store)as they are split through the converter, combiner goes to flat four connector.
Tie into the wires at the rear junction box, this leaves the stock trailer plug intact.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

So jim did you mount the converter in the back of the pinz.

What I was hoping to do was just make a cord up with a weatherproff box with the unit inside it. The I could just use the pinz trailer cord...plug it in and then plug the other end in the trailer (also bought the adapter for the seven pin one) because many don't have the flat connector anymore.

If I do it your way then I will have to tie it into the box underneath at the back and mount the unit inside at the back and run a cord out for the flat four connection.

I am also not sure what the signal splitter is.

Sorry don't do much DC and their systems alway seem so conveluted

A picture would be greatful...sorry I see things better then
Jer
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

Sounds like my adapter is similar what you are talking about. I picked up a box from Radio Shack and wired up a few relays to combine the brake and turn signals. This way I still have the pinz connector to hook up to my trailer but can use other trailers with a flat 4.
Chris
'74 710K
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Chris can you post a pic of the internals of the box and a schematic of the build?
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I wired my Jeep Liberty with a pinz plug when I pull the M416 trailer. Sold the trailer but still have the pinz plug wired into a 4 pin plug that is stock
on the Jeep. Just took a little time to figure out what wire goes where, not really a big issue...and I know virtually nothing about electricity or electronics.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

going from 12 -24 isn't the problem - the bulbs just won't be so bright - but the other way around and the bulbs burn out....only thing a fella could do is change the bulbs in the trailer to 24 volt ones but this is a hassle if it's not your trailer.

I am going to do something similar to the box adapter...then the pinz stays stock.

I thought I would just wire some bulbs in the box in series and that would work too, but i got the darn converter now. Still be interested in what you did in there though

Jer
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

When I installed LED tail lights on my pinz I separated the brake and turn signals, so in order to hook up to a standard trailer I needed an adapter to combine them. I came across a wiring diagram for towing a vehicle behind a 24V bus. It accomplishes two things - combining the brake and turn signals and allowing the use of 12V lights. I don't have a 24V-12V converter, so for now my box just works as a signal combiner. In order to use a 12V trailer I would either need to swap the bulbs or use my magnetic trailer lights. I had to wire a brake signal and a 24V line to a pair of unused pins on the trailer connector to make this work. In order to make life easy, I bought sockets with pigtails for the relays. Here's the schematic and a photo of the inside of the box.
ImageImage

When I wired my trailer I wanted to make it as flexible as possible, so I have a pinz and a flat 4 plug. I found some LED trailer lights on ebay in Australia with separate turn and brake lights that work on 12V or 24V. I used 6 wires instead of the usual 4 in order to have a separate left brake and right brake wire. When hooked to the flat 4, the red lights are wired to the combined turn/brake signals, and with the pinz connector a pair of diodes connect the brake signal to both red lights and the orange lights are the turn signals. Probably overkill, but I wanted the trailer lights to work the same as on the truck.
Image Image
Chris
'74 710K
Jerbearyukon

Post by Jerbearyukon »

thanks - I will look into this

Jer