24v to 12v idea...

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Roverchef
Germany

24v to 12v idea...

Post by Roverchef »

This might be a funny one to some of ya'll but I thought it was worth asking anyway. Can you not convert everything in a pinz over to 12v just by replacing all things 24v to 12v stuff? In theory you shouldn't have to change over any of the wiring. Help me understand alittle better.
ccalingaert

Re: 24v to 12v idea...

Post by ccalingaert »

Not exactly. Half the voltage, double the current. Existing wires might be too small.
Chris
'74 710K
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Roverchef think about what you just said "changing over all the 24 v to 12 v" which means every load device in the vehicle must be replaced starter-alternator-guages-lights-relays etc... this is a daunting task..highly expensive and what do you end up with? well basically a standard electrical system present on every other vehicle you see out there but my point is there is no gain. This has been done however I have seen some posts on this but I just dont think it is worth the time, energy,money and hassle it will take to accomplish it.
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

The standard 12v system is not as serviceable as the 24v system. It does not have the power in adverse conditions. There is a reason the
24v system is used on these vehicles. But is you are going to change it...why not go to a 6v system. Less weight and you can use the standard
6v motorcycle battery and save space as well. :roll: Just buy a Jeep.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Roverchef
Germany

Post by Roverchef »

I wasn't trying to start anything(krick3tt). You didn't have to go throw the whole "Heep" thing in there. I was just thinking out loud and figured I would ask! I've done alot of the 6v to 12v stuff back in the day with the Volkys and done some 24v to 12v stuff on the old Rovers but that was easy since I had 12v stuff lay'n around to put in the 24v places. I guess I did it and didn't even realize I had pretty much changed out everything over time. Thanks for the insight ya'll!
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Not a problem. Didn't think you were 'starting anything' I guess until you know my humor, I have to be careful.

I have both...a pinz and a jeep. I prefer the pinz, mostly cause I can beat it up and it still looks good.
Wife won't let me beat up her jeep, it's the town car.

Cheers
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
spandit

Post by spandit »

It would cost a lot to change everything to 12V and you'd end up with a truck that is more difficult to start in the cold. You could spend $3,000 to save $50 on bulbs...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Hey Roverchief, don't let Morris give you any grief. I've still got my third CJ too. We only use the Jeep word here in jest.

They're plenty capable off-road vehicles, IMHO. They just can't carry a ton and a half like the Pinz!!

And yeah, lots of us have a strange sense of humor...
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Here's a bunch of 24V stuff in case that 24 to 12 change isn't working out for anyone.

http://www.sportsimportsltd.com/24vodcpr.html
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Thanks for that link, lots of useful stuff there, not bad on prices either...
1972 710m