Street legal: front marker lights & replacement speedometer

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
HawaiianGauer

Street legal: front marker lights & replacement speedometer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

Aloha...new owner here. Waited 14yrs before I could finally buy my own 712M (thanks Scott & EI team!). BTW, lotsa good info here. I have found the most help via this forum & have learned much already - thanks to all that share & help others! I hope to contribute over time.

Long story short: the great State of Hawaii is requiring I add front marker (parking) lights and replace the speedo with a MPH version. I have searched but have found only limited info/recommendations.

1. front marker (parking) lights. Right now, my plan is to mount a 2nd light bulb in the existing blinker assembly & wire it to the headlamp "running lights" connections (which lead to the 1st position of the lights switch). I have already replaced the stock headlamps with newer ones, which do not have the 2nd "running light" light bulb - hence my plan to wire the 2nd light in the blinker assembly to this position & leverage the existing 1st position switch on the dash. Does anyone see problems with this plan? Does anyone have a simpler idea to solve this problem (remember, goal is simply to pass inspection so I can FINALLY register my 'Gauer!). Light bulb spec recommendation?

2. Speedometer. My desire is to replace the original with a MPH version that fits (or is close enough) the existing mount position in the dash. If that is feasible, looking for guidance on specific replacement speedometers. Can I simply find one that has the right diameter & drive on? Will there be a speedo cable compatibility issue (meaning, must I but a new cable as well or can I use the existing?). Also, what's the trick to get the dash faceplate off (the screws have unusual plastic "nuts" on the backside that do not simply unscrew) so I can get after the speedo mount?

Specific part & guidance would be greatly appreciated! I'm out of time on my temp registration & so I cannot legally cruise the island!

Mahalos in advance!

Harry X.
Mahalo for your assistance!

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

check out the X-Gauer in action: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cYj_UNQDgpM
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Re: Street legal: front marker lights & replacement speedom

Post by GenevaPinz »

Hi Harry,

Welcome to the Pinz world, congratulations on your purchase!

1) Parking lights: you are in luck, the original blinker already has 2 bulbs, so you can probably modify the setup to keep one for the blinkers and the other one as parking lights. The issue may be that the original blinker assembly is not necessarily the most mod-friendly as it is, i.e. stamped brass and rivets... so you may need to butcher it somehow (or replace it altogether) in order to isolate the 2 bulbs from each other on the + side. but the housing is big enough to accomodate DIY mods.
Another option, if you just want a temporary fix is to find any small 24v bulb on a plastic (or isolated) mount and just add it between the 2 blinker bulbs. Superbrightleds.com has some BA9 24v LED bulbs that you can use and recycle as license plate bulbs at a later stage.

2) Speedo: from what I read a lot of people have upgraded to VDO units that fit the existing dash position without too much trouble. Although they are not forum supporters like Scott at EI, Swissarmyvehicles.com have them on inventory.
I haven't taken the dash assembly from my truck in quite some time, but I seem to remember the dash screws to be quarter-turn or half turn and off, so it should be easier than with regular screws.

Good luck,
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

Welcome!
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
spectactical

Post by spectactical »

Would a sticker overlay suffice? Not sure where they are sourced from, but mine had a sticker on the lense of the speedometer marked for MPH. Might be easiest and cheapest method.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I had one of the VDO speedos and they are a fit for the original SAV part no VDO4372

1/4 turn fasteners for the plate in the dash. Easy install, comes with new cable, may have to adjust if your wheels are larger than stock.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Regarding the marker lights, I have found that the rear lights, wiring, and switches ground the "hot" side of the light when it is off -- contrasting to US automotive wiring where the light is grounded, and when it is off the "hot" side is just open circuited. If this is the case with the front marker lights then it means that using the healight running light power will be shorted to ground, tripping breakers and/or frying wiring.

This can be fixed by inserting a suitable diode in the wiring to the turn signals, so adding addtional power to the bulbs will not backfeed into the turn signal wiring. Likewise, you would want to put a diode in the feed from the old running light wire in case that connects to ground when the lights are turned off; otherwise the blinker power would be shorted to ground. And if it were me, I'd add a dropping resistor in the power from the running light to dim the turn signal lights for the parking light use, but they would still come on full brightness when flashing.

To restate how the diodes would need to be installed, you would take two diodes, rated for at least 3A and at least 50V, connect their "band" or stripe ends together and connect this to the turn signal. One diode (un-banded end) then connects to the turn signal wire and the other un-banded end of the other diode goes to a resistor (I'd start with a 50 ohm, 10 watt resistor) and from the other end of the resistor to the old running light lead. This will give a dimmer parking light and allow the turn signals to be brighter and prevent any gremlins from getting into the wiring.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

1. See here: viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5326&hilit=Model+265
Scroll 1/2 way down to see front and rear LED side marker lights - 12v run in series - very clean and neat IMO

2. VDO is the way to go
Sample install pic (not my truck)

Welcome to the board!
Attachments
VDO.jpg
VDO.jpg (47.69 KiB) Viewed 6983 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

X2 on the VDO speedometer.
IMG_0563.jpg
IMG_0563.jpg (58.89 KiB) Viewed 6975 times
Here's the unit complete with the needed sender: http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV1406
The attachment shpicfile.php.jpeg is no longer available
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Put them in both of mine. Only complaint is that after three years the speedo stopped reading in the 710 but the odometer works and in the 712 the odometer only displays about 10% of the time. Have checked and rechecked electrical connections and wire routing to ensure no damage and all appears normal. We have had a couple completely fail but that was after five or more years in service.
They are really a great alternative to the original. At least when they work they are FAR more accurate then the original ever was since you can adjust them for the tire size you are running.
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

Great feedback - lifesavers! Not surprised you guys did not let the rook down.

1. Speedo - I'm gonna go with the this one: http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... no=SAV1406

Question: I suspect I will have to jury rig the wiring. Any tips or guidance on that?

2. Speaking of wiring...I suck at figuring out elec issues. While I like this solution, viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5326&hilit=Model+265, who knows how long it would take me to figure out the wiring.

So I'm going with Jimm391730's solution because he spelled out what I need to do! (I can follow instructions!)

At this point, I just want to get the damn thing registered so I can legally enjoy it.

Mahalo!

x

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M

SwissArmyToy

Post by SwissArmyToy »

Aloha Harry,

Nice to here about another Pinz owner on the Island. I have the VDO speedo conversion, it was a pretty straight forward swap by following the instructions and I can help you if you want to meet up (pm me for contact info).

Regarding the marker lights, I haven't heard of anybody else here needing that for registration. I think it could be hit or miss, depending on who you get to inspect the truck. I registered mine at the Hawaii Kai office with no problem.

-Scott
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

The wiring for the 12V LED side marker lights is simpler than you think. Connect the existing headlight running lights wire to the positive lead on one LED. Run a wire from the negative lead on that LED to the positive lead on the second LED, then ground the negative lead on the second LED. Whether it's required or not, being more visible at night is a good thing.
Chris
'74 710K
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

ccalingaert wrote:The wiring for the 12V LED side marker lights is simpler than you think. Connect the existing headlight running lights wire to the positive lead on one LED. Run a wire from the negative lead on that LED to the positive lead on the second LED, then ground the negative lead on the second LED. Whether it's required or not, being more visible at night is a good thing.
That is what I figured (as far as wiring) but have not done it yet so was not going to comment.
I just ordered the same rear lights as you installed and will be ordering the same side marker lights.
Question: any reason you mounted the front ones where you did? Looks like you could have mounted them 2-3" lower - just wondering.
Thanks,
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

Sorry, it's been a couple of years since I added the lights and I don't recall why I picked that location. There are a lot of places you could install them that would work just fine.
Chris
'74 710K
HawaiianGauer

Post by HawaiianGauer »

OK that does sound simpler. Dumb question though: how can you use 12V LEDs in a 24V system? Did you install a resistor somewhere or did I miss something?

Harry X.
73 'Gauer 712M