instrument panel lights

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
tidleywet

instrument panel lights

Post by tidleywet »

I'm currently looking at a 710m to purchase but the row of lights on the top of the instrument panel are non existent. It does not have the 9 square colored lights just a a clear piece of plastic and the bulbs underneath. Since this is the only pinzgauer I have ever seen in person I assume its missing a plastic insert, I have emailed numerous parts outlets and the only response was from swiss arm vehicles which said they have a few of the colors but didn't specify if they stick on or what. If anyone can lead me in the right direction it would be greatly appreciated. I've attached a picture to better explain.

thank you!
Attachments
dash.jpg
dash.jpg (102.33 KiB) Viewed 7186 times
pcolette
United States of America

Re: instrument panel lights

Post by pcolette »

The indicator strip is made up of 2 sections that can be separated after removed from the dash. The lower half contains all the sockets and bulbs. The upper half is clear and normally holds the colored plastic squares that the bulbs illuminate. Usually you find that the strips are intact but all the colored squares are faded from age. Someone has removed the squares from the one you're looking at. Replacement indicator strips are almost impossible to find and very pricey. SAV does carry 2 or 3 of the squares.

Where are you located?
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

For reference:
The lights on the dash are from left to right: accessory switch (the cigarette lighter looking socket on the left), low oil warning, brake warning, turn signals, trailer turn signals, low voltage warning, high beams indicator, over-rev indicator and auxiliary heater which some Pinz's do not have. The light switch positions are Tag = day or off, 1 is parking lights only, 2 is headlights. The positions on the right are blackout light positions. 0 is everything on the exterior blacked out, s1 is black-out tail lights only, s2 is blackout headlights only and s3 is blackout headlights and black-out tail-lights... none of which a typical Swiss Pinz has. To operate the blackout positions on the switch you need to push the pin in on the face of the switch while sliding the crossbar on the switch from one side to the other. You can use the key to push the plunger pin in. The switch will only operate in one mode or the other, not both.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
tidleywet

Post by tidleywet »

thanks for getting back to me, figured they'd be tough to find I'll probably end up ordering what SAV has and make the remaining ones myself. In Utah
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

You should check out this thread: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=8268
Note order may be incorrect as he is doing a customized piece but you could order one the way berger listed the lights (stock)
http://www.newvintageusa.com/
Last edited by TechMOGogy on Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
mm58
United States of America

Post by mm58 »

Another option would be to make the graphics on a computer (I'd do it as a single strip, rather than individual squares)
Print it out on some onion skin paper and insert it the same way as the originals do.
You might have to do a little trial & error to get the right dimensions.

edit: Looks like the circuit breakers have been changed out at some point. Hard to tell in the pic, but looks like 10amp (stock is 8amp)
and is missing the number ID plate. I'd take a real good look behind that panel to make sure the wiring job is up to snuff.
Mike

'76 710K
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

When I got my pinz the colored panels were very faded and the bulbs blazed through very bright. I searched long time for replacements and discovered that the price
for replacements was way over the top. I went to a hobby store and bought small bottles of colored paint (transparent type) used to paint imitation leaded glass or drinking glasses.
The cost was about $2.50 ea and I got several colors. Applied the paint and let it dry several days, and replaced the little squares. I left the brake light white so it really shows up in
the dark and the others are as close to original colors as possible. Works great and if they ever fade I have the bottles in my shop.

Happy trails
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
tidleywet

Post by tidleywet »

Than you guys for all the replies. I actually found all the plastic squares at www.puch.at they are cheap only a couple euros a piece but with shipping the total cost is around $85us. I think printing out a strip of squares on thin plastic is my first choice, if anyone has a descent looking set in their rig and is willing to send me pic I'd really appreciate it. Send me a private message and I can give you my email.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Here you go - a brand new strip:
IMG_1529.jpg
IMG_1529.jpg (85.45 KiB) Viewed 7095 times
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
tidleywet

Post by tidleywet »

Thank you Pcolette, did you buy that set up, dash and lights? or is that a re-painted dash?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

It's a soda blasted and repainted panel. The strip was bought new a while back. I also added new switches and circuit breakers and hope to install it in the next month.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Pinzi73

Post by Pinzi73 »

We're did you find the light strip?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1973 Pinzgauer 712M

It's like being a celebrity driving this puppy around town. You can't go anywhere without someone stopping you or coming up to you to talk about it. ;-)
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Pinzi73 wrote:We're did you find the light strip?
A friend in Europe found it for me. I tried to get more but he was only able to get one. I don't know who he got it from but it was actually less $$ than one I bought a few years ago in the US.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Pinzi73

Post by Pinzi73 »

Looks really slick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
1973 Pinzgauer 712M

It's like being a celebrity driving this puppy around town. You can't go anywhere without someone stopping you or coming up to you to talk about it. ;-)
Sandy
Canada

Post by Sandy »

I just got a quote from www.puch.at for the strip. Hope you are sitting down: 162 euros plus shipping!
Cheers,
Sandy M
1975 710K
1971 700/APL (NA)