SAV Swiss Style LED Taillights

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
berger
Canada

Re: SAV Swiss Style LED Taillights

Post by berger »

Still no luck. Everything is wired correctly. I blew out the signal switch and it does work more precisely now, but didn't rectify my problem. The only thing I am not 100% certain on is the location of the pink wire in the light switch.

Is this the location?

Secondly, does the gauge of the extended bit of wire need to match that of the pink wire? Could that be the issue?

I have the flasher unit, so do I need to connect both green plugs (one is a double and the other is a single) into one plug for the new EL13 unit?

When I connected my probe to ground and touch the RHS flasher, the probe matches the amber hazzard flash. When I ground it and touch the LHS flasher wire, the probe doesn't flash, but the red lights flash.

I think I am stuck using hand signals if I do drive the truck this summer. Completely stumped.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
berger
Canada

Post by berger »

My electrician neigbour came over this evening to give me a hand. He showed me how to use the volt meter properly and what to look for. Everything works well now.

It was two things. The brown ground wire on the LHS (which was a new frame panel) wasn't making solid contact. He cleaned up the ring connector and that did the trick there. The last was the "grey" wire at the main harness block. The screw connector was corroded right out and the wire was not connecting. It also appears that PC or the previous owner bypassed the block for the black wire for the same reason. I did the same and it now works great. The flasher I bought wasn't needed, but it will go in the spares bin.

At a later date I may replace the whole block or create my own.

Thanks for all your help.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk
Last edited by berger on Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ottawa, Canada
1974 710M
2007 2WD Ural Patrol
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Amazing how those little things pop up when you start a project
There just to drive you nuts :mrgreen:
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
gorsko
Bulgaria

Post by gorsko »

Yet another possibility for LED rear lamps, in the correct 122mm original diameter, not too expensive...http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/Rear_Lights.html
Scroll down....and down... LT905. Here's the image - http://www.trailertek.com/acatalog/LT905.jpg
Nazdrave,
Rob.
1975 712M (AMB)
1993 Defender 90 (200TDi)
1985 Uaz 469B
1982 Luaz 969 "the Russian Haflinger"
Fentonite
United States of America

Post by Fentonite »

I bought a set, and when I tried to remove the stock tail lights, I hit a stumbling block. There is a metal block soldered or welded to one of the bolts holding in the driver's side light. I can't get a wrench on the bolt head. Has anyone run into this? Should I just try to knock it off?

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

To me, that appears to be a hose clamp covered in spray-on undercoat. ??
Fentonite
United States of America

Post by Fentonite »

Ok, I knocked what looked like solder off the bolt head and was able to pry the little metal cylinder away from it. Here's what it is, not sure why.

pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

That square metal tab used to be crimped to the ground wire for the tail lights. The wire probably broke off at some point from corrosion, etc. and is now connected to the crimp ring terminal that is on the bolt.
I suggest giving this area a good wire brushing or similar to improve the ground for your new lights.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Fentonite
United States of America

Post by Fentonite »

pcolette wrote:That square metal tab used to be crimped to the ground wire for the tail lights. The wire probably broke off at some point from corrosion, etc. and is now connected to the crimp ring terminal that is on the bolt.
I suggest giving this area a good wire brushing or similar to improve the ground for your new lights.
Good advice, will do! Thanks