How does the starter switch circuit work + more questions

Dedicated to the memory and knowledge shared by Jim Mettler - All things relating to the flow of electrons in a Pinz.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Re: How does the starter switch circuit work + more question

Post by Jimm391730 »

Hi Jules, remember that the ignition switch is capable of handling ALL the power that the truck uses; it enables power to EVERYTHING, all the breakers, all of it (with the exception of the starter motor and the connector behind the right seat). So you need a switch that can handle 50+ amps, or a relay that is energized with a lockable switch. The push button starter switch only has to handle the 5-10 amps that the solenoid draws.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

In regard to the expensive original key switch it is a Mercedes part. I recognized it from an old truck we used to have at work. When mine failed it started getting so hot it would heat the key right up, (this was with headlights switched on). To replace it I used the Merc parts supplier that our work uses and it was only $60AUD for an identical part. I'm not sure if it will matter but our part supplier is a direct importer of Merc parts who goes to Germany and fills his own containers who then on sells to local auto businesses, this guy is incredible in that there is no Merc part that he can't find and his prices are always much better than other companies.
So you might find the original part much cheaper than $250 even if you have to find someone familiar with old Mercedes trucks...maybe Vince knows such a person in the USA. Good luck.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

I had a quick look and found my old key switch which I'd stored in the bag with Mercedes label that my new switch came in.
Pt. No. On the label is different than the pt. No. the back of the key switch, which BTW is a Bosch unit. Label pt. No. A 000 545 30 13, I typed it in and quickly found quite a few available, here is a link to the first eBay listing I saw, it's in Denmark for €49 but I'm sure you'll find one locally.http://www.ebay.de/itm/Zundstartschalte ... Sw7NNT567L

I also noticed a few aftermarket brands were available like DT or diesel technik and FEBI so I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding one cheaply, the pt. No. on the back of my old switch is, 0 342 106 012 but it is most likely an obsolete number. Good luck.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
JNijst
Netherlands

Post by JNijst »

Gents,

What an absolute great forum this is!!
You ask your 'Pinz-brothers' and some will always come trooping along, to give an answer on any problem. Thanks for the replies;

I am aware that in the original Pinz-system, the ignition-switch needed to handle 50 amps or so, but I want to rewire my Pinz differently; basically run each component through a relay . (see drawing) (maybe two components sometime) That way I can switch on all different loads through a 'smallish' relay with fuse and keep the main cable from the Alternator/Battery as short as possible with minimal losses, that you normally will get when you go through a ignition-switch and then on to other parts etc. Hopefully it would also make it easier to track electrical problems. Also some thin cables run to various points; to show voltages for analysis on the run, instead of having to use a multi-meter in hard or hot places...
It would require a lot of relays; 20 or so, but with indication lights installed would be an easy system to check.

That German site does show a lot of good Merc parts for good prices .
Thanks for all the info.

Best regards,

Jules Nijst
Attachments
img111.jpg
img111.jpg (230.61 KiB) Viewed 2404 times
Pinz of rock - 710M / 1975 (Austrian Army)