Stainless steel lug nuts

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
ziegler

Stainless steel lug nuts

Post by ziegler »

I've been trying to find s.s. lugs for the pinz that are about 2 inches long with ball seat. I will use them for a step to aid in getting in and out of the truck. The 2 inch lugs make a good step and do not stick out beyond the outer aspect of the tire like the hub steps do. I believe the thread pitch dimensions are 1/2-20. If anyone knows of a custom fab shop, I'd appreciate it. Zig
edzz
United States of America

Re: Stainless steel lug nuts

Post by edzz »

if the hub steps stick out farther than you want cut them off. I would not put on extended lug nuts out of fear of barking them on rocks. Easier to make your own hubsteps (and probably cheaper) than to install lug nuts that may noy function as well as the stock lug nuts.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

These are made from 1 1/2 inch floor flange and 1 1/2 inch x 12 inch nipple cut in two. Hole drilled through to spin off with philips screwdriver and mesh welded for grip.
Parts from HomeDepot and cost is less then $12. The flange fits perfectly between the wheel and the hub in the 1/4 inch space available.
Attachments
DSC01717.JPG
DSC01717.JPG (117.66 KiB) Viewed 6602 times
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I built a similar set of hub steps; please note that the pipe flanges that I got were thicker than the pocket in the drum. I had to turn them thinner in a lathe to ensure that the rims fit tight against the drum, and the drum is held tight to the hub. If you use thicker pipe flanges then the drums will be loose and this will effect the braking consistency and could cause the brakes to lock. A too-thick pipe flange might crack the wheels as well.

Thinner pipe flanges will rattle within the space between the wheel and the hub. Use a piece of rubber to keep it snug and prevent rattling.

While rolling your own steps is great, make certain that you do so safely.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Jim,
Thanks for the words of caution. They are well received and I did a lot of searching and measuring before fitting the flanges.
I am confident that all is well. I have used them for about six years now, they work well and are a boon to getting in, especially for the passenger.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Hi Morris,

I was not attempting to critique your hub steps :oops: , I was trying to ensure that anyone else who was contemplating making their own hub steps know about the possible pitfalls. I consider you to be one of the more competent posters here! 8)
Jim M.
712W and 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Jim,

I knew that,

I was just reinforcing the idea that research needs to be well done if anyone is attempting to put something not designed for the vehicle on it. Especially in a place that could cause damage
and possible loss far exceeding expectations. I have seen pics of vehicles losing a wheel and the ensuing damage.

Thanks for your kind words.
Pinz710m2

Post by Pinz710m2 »

It just dawned on me ... go to the Gorilla Nut home page.

Gorilla lists every product they make with exact dimensions.
They have a very comprehensive product line with all kinds of
lugnuts and all types of seats, shafts, threads, etc.

http://www.gorilla-auto.com

... besides, you can tell people you have Gorilla nuts on your truck.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Look at Scott's Post about lug nuts.

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=8253&p=60278&hilit=lug+nuts#p60278
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Please be careful with one thing about Pinz lug nuts: they have a M14 x 1.5 thread, which is a "fine thread", i.e. NOT the standard M14 thread (the standard is M14 x 2.0, which is usually just called "M14").

I did some extensive googling a few years ago to find flat-based lug nuts that would fit my Ford Transit wheels. I managed to find some eventually in Germany, but only in a box of 100. So I enough spares now... :mrgreen:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Ok, right after the above post I decided to look for M14 x 1.5 lug nuts and expected to find close to nothing, and it turns out Summit Racing has about 160 items that match this, first line of the google search results :shock: ... I guess in my time the flat base was the issue... anyway, good luck in your search! Keep us posted on the results.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Hey Geneva - can you post a picture of your transit rims? how is the offset?

I was considering having some custom lug nuts made up at one time in stainless steel - but mostly to allow switching to a larger lug wrench size - the stock ones look kinda small - guess I just thought my truck needed to have some bigger nuts...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Haf-e wrote:Hey Geneva - can you post a picture of your transit rims? how is the offset?

I was considering having some custom lug nuts made up at one time in stainless steel - but mostly to allow switching to a larger lug wrench size - the stock ones look kinda small - guess I just thought my truck needed to have some bigger nuts...
Here are my transit rims:
...and the offset, a bit less than one inch compared to stock. The rub rails (not installed on the pictures) extend further out a bit. Tires are Cooper Discoverer STTs in 265/75-R16:
...and finally, the tags that were on the rims when I purchased them:
I believe "4 138 552" is the Ford part number.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
cascade.king

Post by cascade.king »

Fyi- I just ran that tag in the Ford system. The part IS 4138552, engineering # is YC151007DE.
Also, this wheel is not part of the FOMOCO USA parts stream. I'm told the Ford 16 x 6 1/2 USA part# is YC151007DA.
List price $258.82.
Mike
1971 North American 700AP Haflinger Pathfinder
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Those Transit rims are different looking than the new 2015 Ford Transit just showing up at ford dealers here in NA - but I suspect the backspacing and such is the same - slightly more offset to the outside. The newer rims have a smoother center area and ten holes in the outside rather than the five slots on yours. I posted a pic in another thread with photos.

Hadn't thought about the issue of what lug nuts would work with them - good to hear that there are some options out there.

I know on my sprinter van that people would upgrade to the aluminum factory wheels and offer their old steel rims off for cheap - so I am hoping that will happen with the new Ford Transits as well - making a source of cheap rims available to the USA older pinz owners... Some of the RV converters swap the steels to aluminum on every rig they convert - so elkhardt indianna might be a good place to check... although they now just sell a lot of the parts off on ebay...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com