Handbrake latch stuck

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
kdiqq
United States of America

Handbrake latch stuck

Post by kdiqq »

I *know* there has been a thread on this before, but I cannot find it from searching. My handbrake latch is stuck. I can pull it out just fine, then rotate and push in. When it comes to rotate it back to the standard position though, it will not rotate. Every now and then it will return using only slightly more force than normal. If it takes an abnormal amount of force, I can reach behind, pull on this disk in the release system and rotate it back to normal. Any points of adjustment on this catch? It's working too good haha
1977 Austrian 710M
stiffler4444
Canada

Re: Handbrake latch stuck

Post by stiffler4444 »

Mine does the same thing occasionally. returns to the "off" position, but does not always rotate back to vertical. Still fully disengaged, so I haven't looked into it.
1972 710m
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I assume you guys have checked for the proper amount of "pre-twist" to impart on the cable before attaching it at the arm at the rear of the vehicle? Even if you didn't have that apart, a previous owner may have overlooked this.

If I understood Stiffler correctly, this may be the problem.

Kdqiq, It sounds like some lubricant might help. It probably can't hurt. I've not run across your problem, but that's where I'd start.
DeStoriesair
United States of America

Post by DeStoriesair »

I may be having a similar issue. When I pull the hand brake, it does not stay engaged. It will slowly vibrate back if the vehicle is running and also if it is off. The brakes engage, but unless I hold it in position it slowly retreats and disengages. Is there a particular component that needs to be replaced to keep the hand brake engaged?
Southwest Pinzgauer Association Member
Pinzgauer 710M
http://www.swpinz.com
Facebook: Southwest Pinzgauer
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

DeStoriesair wrote:I may be having a similar issue. When I pull the hand brake, it does not stay engaged. It will slowly vibrate back if the vehicle is running and also if it is off. The brakes engage, but unless I hold it in position it slowly retreats and disengages. Is there a particular component that needs to be replaced to keep the hand brake engaged?
:idea:
undysworld wrote:I assume you guys have checked for the proper amount of "pre-twist" to impart on the cable before attaching it at the arm at the rear of the vehicle? Even if you didn't have that apart, a previous owner may have overlooked this.
:?: Didn't this fix it?
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

When I pull the hand brake, it does not stay engaged. It will slowly vibrate back if the vehicle is running and also if it is off. The brakes engage, but unless I hold it in position it slowly retreats and disengages.
Both the six sided shaft and the pawl that goes around it both wear, but there is a lot more shaft than pawl. You can try changing the pawl (I think it is #7 here: http://www.pinzgauer.com/parts.php?cat= ... view=06-10) but you may have to change the shaft (#12) too, to really get it to work right.

It would be simpler to just replace the whole assembly, but $495 is a bit steep for the convenience... and a used assembly is likely to have the same problem.
Jim M.
712W and 710M