Disc brake conversion

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Re: Disc brake conversion

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Haf-e wrote:This disc brake conversion still involves a number of custom machined parts and other changes:

- Wheel hubs - either machined or completely new to reduce the overall diameter and to have the new wheel bolt circle pattern

- Backing plates - machined for caliper clearance and drilled for brake line connection

- Wheels - requires a switch to new 17 inch rims for caliper clearance and for adaption to the ML bolt pattern. Not sure if the ML wheels have a high enough load rating for the pinzgauer

- Caliper bracket (hard to see how it is attached to the Pinz backing plate / portal axle assembly)

- Proportioning valve for front / rear balance

- Different master cylinder (larger TD version?)

Curious also to see how far out the wheels are with the TrailReady's on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Looks great - You'll probably get some spray on the sides...
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

The Washington motor vehicle code WAC 204-10-022 says:

"Fenders: All wheels of a motor vehicle must be equipped with fenders designed to cover the entire tire tread width that comes in contact with the road surface. Coverage of the tire tread circumference must be from at least fifteen degrees in front and to at least seventy-five degrees to the rear of the vertical centerline at each wheel measured from the center of the wheel rotation. At no time can the tire come in contact with the body, fender, chassis, or suspension of the vehicle. Street rods and kit vehicles which are more than forty years old and are owned and operated primarily as a collector's item need not be equipped with fenders when the vehicle is used and driven during fair weather on well-maintained, hard-surfaced roads."

Having lived in Everett for almost two decades, you will very likely be violating this statute at least part of the time since it is relatively rare that you will be driving "during fair weather" and not all the tread width is covered by the body. It depends on how hard-core the police can be; I have heard of people getting tickets for insufficient fender coverage (not necessarily Pinz, or in Washington). Just be forewarned.

But it looks great!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
StuartL
Great Britain

Post by StuartL »

We have a similar law in the UK. The vehicle as presented in the photo there would (should!) fail the MOT (annual vehicle test). Widening the stance would require fenders/mud guards to cover the protruding wheel. In the UK this could be as simple as plastic mouldings.
UK Virtual Assistant services in English: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Same sort of law here in Wis. too. I got nicked by it long ago with a CJ5. 'Course, it's easy to find flares for Jeeps. But they're often just plastic as well. It works.
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

We have a similar law in the UK.
Ditto here in Oz!
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I think perhaps that most of the distance outward is just from the tires and rims - here is a picture of another 710M with the Trail Ready wheels and 285/75-17s BFG MTs on them (I think they are the same...) Maybe they look a little bit farther in than the same wheels on GadgetFreak's 710M?
Trail Ready Front Side.jpg
Trail Ready Front Side.jpg (60.03 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Trail Ready.jpg
Trail Ready.jpg (80.51 KiB) Viewed 4668 times
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

The law Jim was referring to is actually a federal DOT law, and are usually used verbatim in most state vehicle code laws so they are enforceable by local LEOs.

Even when Steyr introduced the TDs with their wider track, the rub rails were widen to meet the same laws in Europe.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

I'm running 285's on 8" wheels, I think I am just at the edge of being OK, but just barely.
By the looks of the disk brake conversion -- rotor position vs drum position, eyeballing it,
looks like it is adding up to 1" to 2" of additional mounting/track width per side.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

All good feedback. The Disc Brakes definitely add to the width, the additional back spacing added to the rims to afford a little more clearance for the brakes exacerbated that..

I am working on a set of revised rub rails that will incorporate some additional wheel coverage, which will help. Additionally I will primarily be using it for Search & Rescue on active missions so am unlikely to get much grief for minor infractions. We'll see... :wink:
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

The plus of wider track is it reduces the risk of your Pinz going to sleep (on it's side) :D
The negatives are mud in your face, a citation, but also reduced body clearance as your
springs will be more compressed due to a longer moment arm :( Even with 285's with
8" wheels, I see a difference on mine. Next set of tires I'm going skinnier :wink:
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q