US Ford transit wheels fit the 712k!!!!!

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: US Ford transit wheels fit the 712k!!!!!

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Some related info here (just for reference)
http://www.rubicon-trail.com/G-Class/wheels/start.html
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Well to further complicate this discussion - according to this website the "K" and "J" designation is about the shape of the edge of the wheel and not the "humps" in the rim...

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible_pg4.html

J, JJ, K, JK, B, P AND D : TYRE BEAD PROFILES / RIM CONTOUR DESIGNATIONS.
[beadprofile]

No, my keyboard letters weren't stuck down when I typed this. The letter that typically sits between the rim width and diameter figures stamped on the wheel, and indicates the physical shape of the wheel where the tyre bead meets it. In the cross-section on the left you can see the area highlighted in red.

Like so many topics, the answer as to which letter represents which profile is a long and complicated one. Common wisdom has it that the letter represents the shape. ie. "J" means the bead profile is the shape of the letter "J". Not so, although "J" is the most common profile identifier. 4x4 vehicles often have "JJ" wheels. Jaguar vehicles (especially older ones) have "K" profile wheels. Some of the very old VW Beetles had "P" and "B" profile wheels.

Anyway the reason it is an "awkward topic to find definitive data on" is very apparent if you've ever looked at Standards Manual of the European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation. It is extremely hard to follow! There are pages and pages (64 in total) on wheel contours and bead profiles alone, including dimensions for every type of wheel you can think of (and many you can't) with at least a dozen tabled dimensions for each. Casually looking through the manual is enough to send you to sleep. Looking at it with some concentration is enough to make your brain run out of your ears. To try to boil it all down for you, it seems that they divide up the rim into different sections and have various codes to describe the geometry of each area. For example, the "J" code makes up the "Rim Contour" and specifies rim contour dimensions in a single category of rims called "Code 10 to 26 on 5deg. Drop-Centre Rims". To give you some idea of just how complex / anal this process is, I've recreated one such diagram with Photoshop here to try to put you off the scent.
A reproduction of an ETRTO diagram describing rim contour design

From the tables present in this manual, the difference in dimensions between "J" and "B" rims is mainly due to the shape of the rim flange. This is the part in the diagram defined by the R radius and B and Pmin parameters. Hence my somewhat simpler description : tyre bead profiles.
Note that in my example, the difference between "J" and "B" rims is small but not negligible. This area of rim-to-tyre interface is very critical. Very small changes in a tyre's bead profile make large differences in mounting pressures and rim slip.

"A" and "D" contour designations come under the category of "Cycles, Motorcycles, and Scooters" but also show up in the "Industrial Vehicles and Lift Trucks" category. Naturally, the contours have completely different geometry for the same designation in two different categories.
The "S", "T", "V" and "W" contour designation codes fall into the "Commercial Vehicles, Flat Base Rims" category. The "E", "F", "G" and "H" codes fall into the "Commercial Vehicles, Semi-Drop Centre Rims" category. Are you beginning to see just how complex this all is?

I think the best thing for you, dear reader, is a general rule-of-thumb, and it is this : if your wheels are stamped 5J15 and you buy 5K15 tyres, rest assured they absolutely won't fit.

H, H2, FH, CH, EH AND EH2 : HUMP PROFILES.

More alphabet soup. So you might have just about understood the bit about bead profiles, but there's another design feature of wheel rims. The 'hump' is actually a bump put on the bead seat (for the bead) to prevent the tyre from sliding off the rim while the vehicle is moving. As with rim contours, there are several different designations of hump design and configuration, depending on the number and shape of the humps. For the inquisitive reader, here's a table of the hump designations, and a diagram similar to the one above which displays in nauseating detail just what a hump really is. The eagle-eyed amongst you (or those paying attention) will notice that this diagram is an enlarged view of the area around Pmin in the other ETRTO diagram above, because that's typically where the hump is.

Designation Bead Seat Contour Marking
Outside Inside
Hump Hump Normal H
Double Hump Hump Hump H2
Flat Hump Flat Hump Normal FH
Double Flat Hump Flat Hump Flat Hump FH2
Combination Hump Flat Hump Hump CH
Extended Hump Extended Hump Extended Hump EH2
Extended Hump 2+ Extended Hump 2+ Extended Hump 2+ EH2 +
etrto hump contours

If you're obsessive-compulsive and absolutely must know everything there is to know about bead profiles, humps and rim flanges, you can check out the ETRTO (European Tyre and Rim Technical Organisation website from where you can purchase their manuals and documents. Go nuts. Meanwhile, the rest of us will move on to the next topic.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Here is a photo I found of the Ford Transit 16 wheel vs the stock Pinzgauer 710/2 wheel:
For Trsansit Euro Pinz beads.jpg
For Trsansit Euro Pinz beads.jpg (29.74 KiB) Viewed 9769 times
So not only does the Pinz wheel lack the safety "humps" - it also seems to be sloped more severely inward as you go towards the center of the mounting area - which would also result in easier air loss when the bead comes loose.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Whatever the case may be with the wheels, I can report to thoroughly testing tubeless tires for years on three different Pinzgauers with stock wheels, two of those off-road with low tire pressures (18psi when offroad) with never one issue related to beads.

Same with the Volvo, old Land Rover and old Gwagen wheels, in case anyone cares. 8)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

This is an old thread on a topic that will have legs for some time -- replacement Wheels.

Read all the old threads on Transit wheels, and thought I'd do a wee bit more digging.

Stating the obvious not all Transit wheels will fit the Pinz BCD of 5x160mm. There's a
lot of Transit models and Engine options where Wheel size can vary from 14" to 16" with
numerous BCD's and ET's other than 5x160mm/60mm. Some early 16" wheels are 5x160 but
5.5" width -- way too narrow. One needs to be careful about picking up used/older Transit
wheels off eBay etc. they may not be as expected.

After some Googl'n, came across a site that lists all you would ever want to know about OEM Wheels:
https://www.wheel-size.com/size/ford/transit/2006/

It appears Ford first introduced the 6.5J16 ET60 in 2006 for the European market as a option. By 2014
this wheel seems to be more of the standard for the TDCi 125 PS and higher hp options.

Yes, I'm looking for a set of 8 for my 712 (one spare for the spare). Sent Reifenleader in Germany a
ping to see if they still ship to the US and if so for free or at a cost. They are by far the lowest price
out there for a proper Transit wheel.

If anyone has any updated info on a source please share.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

Not really an update but worth a mention... Tuner Shop's ebay shop lists the Ford Transit Steel 5x160 PCD, 16" ET60 6.5" Rim as not being available anymore either in singles or sets of 4. But these rims are still listed on their actual website and are indeed still currently available at much the same price as their old ebay ad. Their woldwide shipping rates are still unbelievably cheap...8 rims to Down Under $29aud ($20usd) and about half that for most of the rest of the world.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Can you post a link to “Tuner shop” please.

Incidentally, I did send them a query on shipping to the U.S. and the reply was NO.

one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

https://www.tunershop.com/shop/alcar-st ... -inch.html

My quote request was for 8 wheels to Australia but their shipping page states free shipping to Australia, Canada and The United States for orders over $750 usd

https://www.tunershop.com/shop/shipping/
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Thanks for the Links! When I sent them a question on shipping I did not mention the
number of wheels, thus the overall spend. They didn't mention the $750 threshold.
Could have been a rookie responding with incomplete information. Alcar is an
Austrian company, probably high quality Wheels, though who knows where the they
are actually made?

I did manage to find a U.S. source that now appears to be a little less expensive than
Tunershop "Road Ready Wheels" sold direct on their WEB site, or through an affiliate
Bill Smith Auto Parts on eBay for $99.68. Doing some research on Road Ready Wheels,
this company does not appear to have any direct manufacturing capability so I'd bet
all their products are made in Asia. Though they seem to be pretty well established
and can't find any negative posts on them.

tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

Is there any particular reason you can’t just go to someplace like Summit Racing and buy Transit wheels of the 5x160 variety? What am I missing?
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

The issue is not the Bolt hole pattern, that's on the money. The issue is
the stud thread engagement.

The wheel I bought is from one of the top tier after market Wheel manufactures,
"Road Ready Wheels". Supposedly 100% to OEM specs.

Do you have Transit Wheels on your rig? If so please measure the stud extension
as per my thread.

Thanks.

tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

rmel wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 8:16 pm The issue is not the Bolt hole pattern, that's on the money. The issue is
the stud thread engagement.

The wheel I bought is from one of the top tier after market Wheel manufactures,
"Road Ready Wheels". Supposedly 100% to OEM specs.

Do you have Transit Wheels on your rig? If so please measure the stud extension
as per my thread.

Thanks.

As far as I know my wheels are factory. I was just curious about the aftermarket options.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Well a number of people have flipped over to Transit wheels, the BHP fits.

Would love to hear from someone out there about their observations on
thread engagement. Just seems a bit on the marginal side to suite me.

The reason why these Wheels are of interest is the bead humps which are
not present on the stock wheels, so they are less apt to break a bead at
low tire pressure.

Chiro6262

Post by Chiro6262 »

I'm looking to buy some wheels for my 710. Does anyone know if there's a specific Ford Transit year and model that is compatible?
Brady 712k
United States of America

Post by Brady 712k »

I bought seven US 2015 Ford transit steel wheels off of Ebay.
Nothing special.
Don"t get the stock ford lug nuts for them....
Just buy after market Doorman lug nuts with the correct seat and thread.
The stock ford transit lug nuts look weird and are meant to hold the wheel cover and the way they are made it looks like there is little thread engagement but its actually fine aka enough.