OEM vs Aftermarket

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
montieth
United States of America

OEM vs Aftermarket

Post by montieth »

Hey chaps, I'm helping my neighbor who's less experienced in the way of OD green stuff with his brand new to him 710K. We snagged it from Grand Rapids 2 weeks ago and it's now been looked at by a local German car shop that specializes in older stuff. The mechanic that's working on it is a Mog owner so it's right up their alley. To save money we're doing the parts hunting rather than having them charge the shop rate for it.

At this point brakes are the priority 1 task. The Right rear is dribbling fluid and the shoe is soaked. So that whole assembly needs to be rebuilt.

At this point the thought is replace all 4 cylinders and all 4 brake shoe sets for nice new brakes.

Looking around at parts, I see Aftermarket cylinder for ~$30 and the OEM Styer/Puch parts for ~$350 US.

Are the aftermarket units worth the low cost or is one getting low quality chinesium for them?
Ryan Gill
15 Recce Re-enacting Group

1943 Humber Mk IV Armoured Car
1947 Jeep CJ2A basket case
1960 Daimler Ferret
1972 AM General M35A2
x2 M514 1Ton2Wheel Trailer
rmel
United States of America

Re: OEM vs Aftermarket

Post by rmel »

IMHO there are two alternatives. And I've done both (at different times).

1. Brake cylinder rebuild kit
or
2. All new Cylinders.

For #1 above since a shop is doing the work your gonna pay the going rate, re-build would
be EXPENSIVE and he may find the bore is damaged and beyond repair.

So go for #2, and I'd buy from the Sponsor above EI, or SAV. Have your shop save the
old ones for you, then re-build them yourself as spares.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

What's the Mog owner suggest? I guess he wants to sell you factory parts through their shop. Probably for two reasons:

1) He wants you to be happy, and he knows the factory parts will fix your truck. He probably warrants his work.

2) If something does go wrong (parts do fail) within the warranty period, then who pays to make it right again?
If it's factory parts that he sells, he'll probably get a replacement part for free, and he'll probably eat the labor.
If it's parts you supply, you'll have to deal with the part replacement. But you probably won't get any free labor from the shop, especially if you choose to supply them with the cheap knockoff parts. Plus, many times the cheap version needs a bit of help to fit and/or work properly, so often the labor ends up being higher to begin with.

There's a reason they are so cheap, I suspect. But if you try them, it would be great to hear how it turns out.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
montieth
United States of America

Post by montieth »

They restore higher end Mercedes, AMG specials and Porche/Mercedes specials so they're persnickity with parts. They quickly id'd some 'new' brake cylinders that came with the truck as being likely chinese imports. They'd recommended getting hardware from Puch directly.

My personal experience is US M series 2.5/5 tons so parts for those are 'plentiful' and British Ferrets as well as WWII British Humber/Daimlers so parts for those are what we have from the UK. The latter are easily rebuildable and I do my own work. I'm just not up on the quality of the Aftermarket stuff for Pinz's yet. If it was my own truck, I'd be doing all the work myself including rebuilding the cylinders individually.

I have a 'ticket' in with EI for parts and have started building a spread sheet of parts for the brake bits needed. I'll look at SAV next.

I guess question is what does the board usually do for brake parts? Are the OEM that much better than Aftermarket units?
Ryan Gill

1960 Daimler Ferret
1972 AM General M35A2
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

My own rule is that I never buy any cheap/Chinese part for brakes since that's the last thing I want to fail, and the most important system on any auto.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

I bought a full set of new (cheap, aftermarket) brake cylinders from one of the US suppliers. In short, they were garbage and I got what I paid for. I've since rebuilt and refitted the original cylinders, which is what I should have done in the first place.
montieth
United States of America

Post by montieth »

What was wrong with them? Porous castings? Bad machining? Bad seals? I ask because if the rebuild kits are non-oem (I'm used to not being able to find ANY WWII era Dingo OEM rubber parts) then how do you find a good rebuild kit?

Who then has the best rebuild kits?
Ryan Gill

1960 Daimler Ferret
1972 AM General M35A2
Ian
Australia

Post by Ian »

montieth wrote: Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:07 am What was wrong with them? Porous castings? Bad machining? Bad seals? I ask because if the rebuild kits are non-oem (I'm used to not being able to find ANY WWII era Dingo OEM rubber parts) then how do you find a good rebuild kit?

Who then has the best rebuild kits?
The original pistons and cylinders were coated, or anodised, or something and appear to resist corrosion quite well. The cheap aftermarket ones had no sort of treatment and quickly rusted and seized up