New front brakes (part 3)

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
pinzinator

New front brakes (part 3)

Post by pinzinator »

IMG_0895 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0895 - Copy.JPG (300.09 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
The left side completed. The hoses were replaced and the system bled.
IMG_0923.JPG
IMG_0923.JPG (241.77 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
I adjusted the braked with a brake gauge, this makes the job easy. The shoes have to be centered correctly first, just tap with a hammer. On each backing plate there are lubrication points where brake grease needs to be applied, this allows the shoes to move easier and retract, too. Here is an example of a brake gauge, which is essential if you own a Pinzgauer or any vehicle with drums https://www.zoro.com/westward-brake-res ... gJ-tPD_BwE
IMG_0901 - Copy.JPG
IMG_0901 - Copy.JPG (350.51 KiB) Viewed 4532 times
When I lowered the Pinz off of the jacks I had so much positive camber that I could not drive it out of the garage, as the top clears the door header by 1/4" on a good day. The cure? Back it up and pull forward a few times and the camber went back to normal. I only had 36 inches of floor space to work with as the tool box was in the way.
The results were incredible, the Pinz now stops like a Cadillac with MUCH less effort and pedal travel of less than 3 inches! Disc brakes be damned, I'm sticking with the OEM drums. I calculated the total swept area of the brakes to be about 1.8 square feet, much more than enough to stop a fully loaded Pinz.
I would recommend this procedure to anyone who still has the original wheel cylinders and power booster, the difference is amazing. The total cost was around $400 plus brake fluid (use DOT 3) including the rears and you can do it yourself. Replace the brake hose clips at the same time. I didn't rebuild the rear cylinders yet, that is for next weekend. The results can only get better!
Here is an example of a new brake booster https://swissarmyvehicles.com/pinzgauer ... ke-booster I am not favoring any supplier, this was the easiest to find. All of the parts suppliers are good.
Last edited by pinzinator on Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: New front brakes (part 3)

Post by 4x4Pinz »

there are many reasons you now have much better brake performance. The original pads were very hard and did not provide the best braking possible although they last forever. The booster we have seen make a HUGE difference in performance especially if it had been contaminated by brake fluid. Proper adjustment goes a lot farther then people give it credit. I have long said that there is no need for disc brakes on the pinz unless you play in deep water a bunch.
job well done
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

My $400 estimate only included a booster, rebuild kits, clips, and hoses. OEM shoes are rather pricey, I had mine re-lined by a brake shop years ago. If you want to re-line 8 shoes and replace the hardware I would add about $400 or so, not including turning the drums. Do it once, do it right, and you will have a Pinzgauer that will stop like factory new.

If your brakes don't stop you something else will.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Very nice write up and photos. Thanks!
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE