710M vs Garage Height

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
Jeffn
United States of America

710M vs Garage Height

Post by Jeffn »

Hi all, I'm looking at buying my first 710M and am trying to verify whether I can get it in my garage. I have 10'-10 1/4" clear vertical. There is a small step up right at the door (clear height is from to of step). The driveway slopes down toward the garage.

Anyone have a good accurate height measurement with specific size tires? Or your experience you can share? I don't want to use smaller tires but if it makes the difference I can do that.

I looked at one and it seemed to be about 6'-11" to the base of the antenna mount. I'd have to replace the mount with a flat plate, no big deal. Based on tires size I can go to 235-75/R16 and gain 1.25“ which might be enough. But funny want to get it here and find it won't fit.

I've read the archives... I could gain an inch by reframing my door but want to avoid if I can, and having to deflate /reinflate tires seems like it would limit the amount I'd drive the thing.

Thanks!
rmel
United States of America

Re: 710M vs Garage Height

Post by rmel »

You have PLENTY of headroom -- some will be envious :mrgreen:

A 710K with antenna mounts and 33's will be under 8' height.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
Jeffn
United States of America

Post by Jeffn »

Doh! I miss-typed. My clear height is 6'-10 1/4". Hence my concern. ://
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

Do you own this garage so you could modify it? Often there is a trim board under the header that you could remove provide the Aesthetics Committee approves. That'd buy you at least 3/4in. You may need every bit you can get.

Also, be very careful about bounces and entry angles -- that can reduce your available clearance.

You could also air-down the tires, or start carrying a lot of weight in the truck....

wrt tires, Falken Wildpeak M/T 255/85R16 are pretty much the same height as OEM Maloyas.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Some models are higher than others. The K's have a roof hatch on the hard top, going to be approximately 7' 6'",
if there is an Antenna base mounted would be more vs base type -- but they can be removed. A "M"with a canvas
top (no roof hatch) are about 7' 2". I have one of each and measured for yuks.

Tire size won't make a huge difference, 33's are about the max unless you like wheel well rubbing on the right
front side, 32"'s are about the smallest you wanna go. So your talking about 1" difference here.

Your looking for about 6" to get you some margin and possibly limited to M's.

Jeffn
United States of America

Post by Jeffn »

I can easily remove a trim board and gain 3/4". The header is a steel beam with a 2x nailer under it, then the 3/4" trim board, so I could potentially gain up to 1.5". 3/4"=easy, 1.5"=hard. Airing down tires may make sense, but not sure how much I could gain there.
@rmel - Thanks for measuring - is the 7'-2" to the top of the antenna mount? I figured I could remove the mount and put a flat plate there to get closer to 6'-11", but maybe not.

If it can't go in the garage it would have to go in the driveway with a good cover, and I'd still be concerned about water, wind, etc. I'm in North Carolina so we get a fair amount of rain and t-storms.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

7' 2" was for my 712M, and only has a low profile antenna mount on the roof.

But...there's a lot of variables to consider in that height measurement. Tire size (I have 33"), condition of the
Suspension (mine, relatively in good stiff condition), and the odd duck, I backed into the garage. In reverse
these rigs tend to squat down a inch or so due to the Toe-In. Other trucks will have different characteristics,
and could be +-2" higher/lower. That's why a bit of margin is needed. I don't think airing down is going to get
you that much other than being a PITA to deal with.

Jeffn
United States of America

Post by Jeffn »

Thanks for all the info. Sounds like it comes down to I won't know for sure until I get it here which is obviously not ideal. Or more to the point I need to plan to take some detailed measurements when looking.
Zee Fifty
United States of America

Post by Zee Fifty »

710M here.

I have a block home with a 7ft garage opening measured from the concrete floor to the steel lintel. The added 1/4 molding with the rubber seal for the door brings my clear opening to 83 3/4 inch with a very slight downward slope of my driveway to the street.

I run 225/85R-16 cooper tires. I removed my antenna mount and replaced it with an aluminum 3/8 inch plate. The tail end soft top strap will rub and snag going in and out. I can weight the rear down with a few people and drive in and out. I did this in the early days. Today I use coyote preset deflators and just air down the rear tires and drive right in and out. I only use my pinz occasionally so it’s not a big deal.

My rear top is pretty much shot. I’m on the fence if I just want to remove it with the bows. I’m really curious if I’ll be able to squeeze in without it on. There is no doubt I can if I remove the rear roll bar.
Last edited by Zee Fifty on Tue May 28, 2024 8:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Jeffn,

One last comment... If you have the bug for a Pinz -- get one. Don't let the garage
situation be the show stopper. There are much bigger things to think through such
as maintenance, repair, the general condition of one you may acquire AND what your
intended use will be -- they ain't the best vehicle for long haul HWY driving.

When I got my 1'st Pinz, she had to live outdoors, for several years. I'm up in the
Santa Cruz Mnts which can have very heavy rain. If you look at my avatar, that's a
custom cover I had fabricated by a guy who made covers for Boats and Aircraft That
solved the inclement weather problem. It didn't solve the problem of winter projects,
limited by weather conditions. I solved that problem by moving my garage door
header up 8" and getting a custom door -- that may not be a solution for you.

My biggest problem with weather was solved with a cover, there are off the shelf VAN
covers that would work. I just wanted one that was more durable and custom.

Good luck.

Jeffn
United States of America

Post by Jeffn »

Thanks all for the comments. For better or worse I do really want one - what an awesome vehicle. I figured I could do the outside cover thing, just figured it's not best (and may lead to a greeting by torches and pitchforks by my HOA - ha!). But it's great to know that it's been done and wasn't a real problem.

Hoping between wheel size, header mods, and deflators I can get it inside, but if not at least there's an option. And I'd have to get the stuff that's currently in the garage out first anyway...
Jeffn
United States of America

Post by Jeffn »

@zee fifty - I just reread your post and realized deflators solved your problem. What pressure do you deflate to and much height do you gain?
Zee Fifty
United States of America

Post by Zee Fifty »

My empty truck lowers 2.5 inches from 40 psi down to 3. Measured at the bottom of my class 3 hitch receiver.

If I put a 4 ft level on my truck bed side it slopes downward to the rear 1/4 inch in the length of the 4 ft level at 40 psi. This about exactly matches the slope of my garage floor. So my pinz sets level on a level floor.

I am going to be removing my rear soft top soon I think. I’m confident I won’t have to air down at all.

I think the driveway approach angle matters when driving in.

Tires matter. I selected my 235/85r16 tires to assist me in getting my truck in my garage. Although by airing down any tires should work.

It’s obvious I don’t need to air down as much as I do…. So I’ll be adjusting that to save me work when airing back up.i only air down my back tires. I never have done the front. Even when backing into the garage.
Attachments
IMG_2024-05-29-105903.jpeg
IMG_2024-05-29-105903.jpeg (309.68 KiB) Viewed 577 times
Jeffn
United States of America

Post by Jeffn »

That's fantastic thanks! That feels me that removing some trim plus deflators should solve my dilemma. I hate the hassle but if it's the difference btwn having a pinz and not it'll be worth it. Thank you for the details.
ChickenPinz
United States of America

Post by ChickenPinz »

rmel wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:43 am One last comment... If you have the bug for a Pinz -- get one. Don't let the garage
situation be the show stopper.
100% agreement. If you want one, get one. You'll sort out the rest.