80% on road, 20% off road, which tires to choose?

Issues with shocks/springs, tires, steering box, stopping, etc.
audiocontr
United States of America

80% on road, 20% off road, which tires to choose?

Post by audiocontr »

I have read plenty of postings on tire selection and the Coopers which i thought were the ones to go for are no longer available.

Can someone recommend a quiet tire for on road with better than average off road? Again, i expect more on road than off. At least 80% of my 710 will be highway driving and I have the high speed transmission.

A/T or M/T? Yokohama Geos look like a decent tire at 265, 275, 16. I would prefer to stay below $200 a tire. $150 would be great!

Jim L, would the Maxxis still be a good candidate?

Thanks for giving attention to a common question.

-Will
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

If you drive in snow or sand MT's are a must, AT's suck in snow and sand.
I have Maxxis Big Horns, they are very close to the BFG Mud Terrain's.
They were $145 ea and have lasted well.
Others will chime in I'm sure :lol:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

Wouldn't go past BFG MT's as a mild tyre.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
ka

Post by ka »

the bfg mudders are a clam shell molded tire and i had to return mine because they wouldn't balance. nitto's are a much higher quality tire, just made better. i've only tried the at so far on my tundra and they are xlnt. mudders are next for my pinz.
1973 710m
"it is not in the best interest of the shepherd to breed smarter sheep." ~ author unknown

press any key to continue or any other key to quit. ~author confidential
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I love My Nitto Mud Grapplers. But for a 80% 20% I would go with Yokohama Geos. Also think they will outlast Maxxis. Never been a fan of BFG tires.

One more thought Geos would never survive the flint hills. Not sure the what rock roads are like in your are but east of my house are hard on tires and west I can run any thing. I would pick based on what the off road terrain is based on.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

I'm running INTERCO TRXUS M/T's and love them

Here is a link:

http://www.intercotire.com/tires.php?id=11&g=1

I have Interco IROK SUPER SWAMPERS on my H1 and I like those also but think I will change out to the TRXUS M/T's on the H1 when its shoe time!!

G
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

ABSOLUTSECURITY wrote:I'm running INTERCO TRXUS M/T's and love them

Here is a link:

I have Interco IROK SUPER SWAMPERS on my H1 and I like those also but think I will change out to the TRXUS M/T's on the H1 when its shoe time!!

G
Really Didn't know much about this tire until I talked to my tire supplier about my rubbing problems with my tires and they made the recommendation of theses tires. For the most part I think they are a joke. And I know Mr. Mason is running them but when you look at the spec's there really aren't any better than any other tire. Tread life is minimal. Ply rating is standard. Better of with Maxxis in my opinion for the price. And it's just my opinion.

An 80% Highway tire they are not And their web site kind of agrees.
ABSOLUTSECURITY

Post by ABSOLUTSECURITY »

Erik712m wrote:
ABSOLUTSECURITY wrote:I'm running INTERCO TRXUS M/T's and love them

Here is a link:

G
Really Didn't know much about this tire until I talked to my tire supplier about my rubbing problems with my tires and they made the recommendation of theses tires. For the most part I think they are a joke. And I know Mr. Mason is running them but when you look at the spec's there really aren't any better than any other tire. Tread life is minimal. Ply rating is standard. Better of with Maxxis in my opinion for the price. And it's just my opinion.

An 80% Highway tire they are not And their web site kind of agrees.

Id tell your tire supplier to suck on it! I think he wants to sell you what he wants to sell you and your falling for it!

I have ran these by my own choice without any input from anyone just because I didnt want to spend $300 + on MT/R's for 7 tires and researching all tire possibilities these seemed like a good choice - and still are if I have chosen to put them on by H1 Hummer after my experience with these on my 712 Pinz!!!

I havent had any problems and the tread wear isnt a problem either.

It would be in everyones best interest if you were to keep your opinions to your self and qoute facts obtained from actual use of a product rather than to believe what a tire supplier that may be swayed by his mark up for a certain brand is telling you to buy.

Just my two sensible cents!

Glynn
M Wehrman
United States of America

Post by M Wehrman »

I LOVE it when the subject of tires comes up...... :lol: So I would assume I would get blasted if i put low profile 22"s on the Pinz,tough crowd! :P :P
Stock means no imagination!

Volvo TGB1317, .95% Morphed!

68 Haffy
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

Brian. are you having a battle of wits and knowledge with an un-armed person :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :P
A small reminder Glen, forums are for the exchange of idea's , i.e. "discussions and opinions"
It's a "Free speech" thing :roll:
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

I've had very good experience with the BFG MT. They work great on the street and very well off road. The only tire I would recommend against is the Goodyear MTR, they're a great off road /rock crawling tire, but the tire wear is ridiculous on a normal vehicle (15-20K miles MAX), and I'd imagine on a Pinz you'd see less than half of that.

I've always been a fan of BFG off road tires, so I'm a little biased, but I have yet to complain about them.
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
pinzwheeling

Post by pinzwheeling »

M Wehrman wrote:I LOVE it when the subject of tires comes up...... :lol: So I would assume I would get blasted if i put low profile 22"s on the Pinz,tough crowd! :P :P
That would be awesome; imagine the "great handling" you could achieve!
Michael

Looking for a deal on a Toyota or used car?
email: rosenblumm@gmail.com
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

I've had good results with the Nitto Terra Grapplers on my 710.

For mostly street use, I have used the Yokohama Geolanders previously on Suburbans I've owned in the past.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I guess I should clarify why I think they are kind of a joke.

1. Average life 15K or less

2. Sold as an A.T. Tire but they only have an average life of 15K. Would think it would be better to just go with There TSL if you plan on replacing tires once a year.

I can think of several tires that would last longer than 15K. Especially if you're spending 80% of your time on the pavement. And I think that is what was asked at the start of this thread.
Last edited by Erik712m on Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Back when I drove a 911 (or as my wife likes to say, "back when I was happy") and did a lot a track events, if I got more than 10,000 miles out of a tire, I felt very lucky! :D
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494