fumey in the cab

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
norcal pinz
United States of America

fumey in the cab

Post by norcal pinz »

it really smells like gas in my truck especially when its parked is there a way to fix this ? where do i start? i have a 710k with the heater behind the seat. thanks everybody
710M 1972
710k 1974
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Most of the fuel fume problems I experienced with my pinz were eliminated by replacing the cork gaskets on top of the fuel tank. The sending unit seal is easily accessed and replaced via the sending unit inspection port. My main leak was the pick-up tube gasket.The fuel pick-up tube gasket requires the removal of the fuel tank (much fun), may as well replace all the fuel hoses in the process. I still have a very slight leakage at the carburetors’, the carb rebuilds are next on the list. I now have no notable raw gas smell in the truck and no more fuel stains every time I fill the tank. You can either order the cork gaskets from the forum sponsors or pick up a roll of cork gasket material from your auto parts store and make your own using the old gaskets for a pattern. Scissors to cut to shape and a empty .22 shell case to punch the holes for the bolts.

Ed :)
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

gaskets

Post by krick3tt »

Thanks for the tip about punching holes with a 22 shell. Very good info.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
pinzinator

Post by pinzinator »

The smell of gas was completely eliminated when I rebuilt the fuel pump a few years back. I have no idea why, but I can't complain about the results.
krick3tt

fumes in the cab

Post by krick3tt »

Today the problem of gas smell in the cab has been eliminated. While at LinDen having some work done I brought up the smell of gas in the cab as a real problem. It was discovered that the vent hose from the tank to inside the cab at the filler neck had a hole where it passes through the cab floor to the top of the tank. They dropped the tank, replaced the hose and smell is gone.

On the way home I ran out of gas (somewhat embarrassed in the middle of traffic) as the fuel gage does not read well when the level gets low. My error, but I do keep the spare can full for just such pilot errors. ;-)

Cheers
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
Ugo

Post by Ugo »

Fuel gage issue: check the ground connection (easily screwed up when tank was dropped).
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

You should have ~ 5 gallons left when the gage reaches "E", giving you 15 gallons before "E" + 5 gallons in reserve, not counting the jerry can.

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

fumey in the cab

Post by krick3tt »

The gage was reading before the 'R' and usually that indicates that I have 5 gal left. But not the case this time, has always been spot on when it read at the 'R' and when I filled it it needed 15-16 gal before I could see the gas in the neck.
After putting in more gas this time, it read correct for what is there.
I do like that extra can, takes a lot of guess work away. Safety factor.
krick3tt

Re: fumey in the cab

Post by krick3tt »

OK...so apparently the replacement of the vent hose did not take. It still kinks and abrades where it
goes through the floor of the cab. I am going to drop the tank and put in a grommet at the pass through
hole and replace the hose.
Any thing weird that I need to watch out for when dropping the tank? Using a jack and the tank is
almost empty...at least that is what the gauge says.