Stopping water from entering through doors.

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
NEWFISHER

Stopping water from entering through doors.

Post by NEWFISHER »

After talking to David Dunn about ideas to keep water from entering the Pinz, he suggested a slot similar to the window frames on his 718.
I had to do something to keep the doors from rusting away. Taking the master's advice I tore the doors down.

I cleaned everything, lined up and marked where the channels end, drilled 2 holes at the front and back of the window channels through the door skin and then drilled 2 more 1/4" away from the initial hole. I used a round file to remove the material between the 2 holes and then touched up the bare metal.

When reasembling the frames, channels and glass, I used Fusor 2 part body seam sealer to glue the sash channel , the ends to the inner door and the glass slides down. You have to be prepared on this step. Laying everything out and assembling it dry first will help get the order down. Dissasemble them and have everything ready. I used a small brush to push the sealant into all the crevases creating a sealed trough. The water is then forced out the slots.

The first pic shows the area without the dual window channel and shows the seam sealer sealing the area between the inner sash and the outer door. The outer skin shots with flash on make the slots look like they are rusty. It must be some residual clay/mud from the last wheeling trip.

It has worked really well the last few months and has kept 99% of Northwest rain from puddling on the inner doors, dripping and splashing onto the floors and seats. I didnt get step by step pics but if you look at your inner doors, you get the idea.
uploadfromtaptalk1459134454779.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1459134454779.jpg (58 KiB) Viewed 7781 times
uploadfromtaptalk1459134440667.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1459134440667.jpg (44.9 KiB) Viewed 7781 times
uploadfromtaptalk1459134424315.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1459134424315.jpg (40.88 KiB) Viewed 7781 times

Sent from my LG-H631 using Tapatalk
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Stopping water from entering through doors.

Post by TechMOGogy »

On this same topic here are some other ideas..
krick3tt came up with this design (I asked him about it and he sent me the following info and pics) - similar to yours.
"The pass through is like the ones to let a Cable TV cable through a wall or floor. Got it at HomeDepot.
The elbow came from an auto parts store."
DSC03852.JPG
DSC03852.JPG (1.03 MiB) Viewed 7741 times
DSC03853.JPG
DSC03853.JPG (1.16 MiB) Viewed 7741 times
And here is what Andre did on my truck
The newer factory top rail with drain then out to bottom of door (tops can still be removed easily)
Door Drain7.jpg
Door Drain7.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 7741 times
Door Drain2.jpg
Door Drain2.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 7741 times
Just some other ways of trying to do same thing

I also thought this was a neat idea to help with dripping (which goes onto the side windows and then into the channel) about $5 and 5 minutes
Pinz Drip Rail Mod.jpg
Pinz Drip Rail Mod.jpg (1.67 MiB) Viewed 7741 times
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Take it from some one with over 40 years in the glass industry, round holes do not drain water against any wind, hence why all residential and commercial windows uses slots.

I never cared much for SDP solution either, as it drained water inside the doors. The internal drains get blocked and the doors rust from the inside out.

For the gutters, the glass industry has aluminum J channels that are used for mirror installation, not subject to the UV deterioration.

Jon, I would recommend that you take a flat file and square up the ends of your slots. :wink:
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

When in the PNW I replaced the original interior window channels with the deeper ones from SAV (the ones that are above the rubber elbow). I still have the original ones with the window locks for the left and right side.
If yours have rusted or not looking too good, make me a reasonable offer for the ones I have and they are yours.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

krick3tt wrote:When in the PNW I replaced the original interior window channels with the deeper ones from SAV (the ones that are above the rubber elbow). I still have the original ones with the window locks for the left and right side.
If yours have rusted or not looking too good, make me a reasonable offer for the ones I have and they are yours.

Thank you, mine are in great shape. Hopeing someone sees this and needs a set. Thanks for posting them.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Hi Newfisher,

My doors are getting rusty from rain entering them (the top of the outer skin of the doors' lower half, especially), so I am looking into drilling similar drains as you did. I usually avoid drilling holes in the truck as much as possible, but it seems a case of small sacrifice / big positive impact.
Do you have some additional feedback on this modification since you last posted or things you would have done differently? Also, I think I saw in the pictures that you cut the double "U" window channel in front of the drain holes (only the outer and inner "walls"), so water can drain from both channels, can you confirm?

Thanks in advance!
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Not sure how everyone goes with these mods but I ran the drain out of the door top so that I would not have to deal with the hose if I wanted to remove the tops, everything went with the same part.
I had also filed the door cavity with styrofoam insulation as a sound deadening mod. The pinz is a big amplifier for any sound and it did help a bit, also the styrofoam will not absorb water to promote rust...don't need more rust do we?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I love the J channels, though i would go longer front and rear
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

audiocontr wrote:I love the J channels, though i would go longer front and rear
I have J channels (aluminium profile, painted the same color as the truck) above my doors, they do work great, especially when the doors are open. But I still have water pooling in the window channels, and rust build up right where both door halves meet...

So they are going to the body shop to be fixed. While I am at it, I am adding the drains.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

GenevaPinz wrote:
audiocontr wrote:I love the J channels, though i would go longer front and rear
I have J channels (aluminium profile, painted the same color as the truck) above my doors, they do work great, especially when the doors are open. But I still have water pooling in the window channels, and rust build up right where both door halves meet...

So they are going to the body shop to be fixed. While I am at it, I am adding the drains.
Would you post a picture of your J channel install
Would like to see it
Thx
NEWFISHER

Post by NEWFISHER »

GenevaPinz wrote:Hi Newfisher,

My doors are getting rusty from rain entering them (the top of the outer skin of the doors' lower half, especially), so I am looking into drilling similar drains as you did. I usually avoid drilling holes in the truck as much as possible, but it seems a case of small sacrifice / big positive impact.
Do you have some additional feedback on this modification since you last posted or things you would have done differently? Also, I think I saw in the pictures that you cut the double "U" window channel in front of the drain holes (only the outer and inner "walls"), so water can drain from both channels, can you confirm?

Thanks in advance!
Not as much rain here lately, but after cutting the oblong holes in the outer skins ahead of and behind the channels, it stopped 90% of the water intrusion. Works great!
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

TechMOGogy wrote:Would you post a picture of your J channel install
Would like to see it
Thx
Sorry for the late reply, here is one picture, from the front right of the truck (I just pulled the grey cover for the picture), and the door top is off the truck:

It is made of "J" shaped aluminium channel, that I adapted exactly as mentioned above with plastic channel, i.e. I drilled / dremelled holes that match the rings that keep the canvas top attached to the frame, above the doors. The J-channel goes between the top and the frame. Primed and painted green with a rattle can for a stock-ish look.

These J-channels seem smaller than the plastic ones in the pictures, but my main objective was to eliminate water from the canvas top dripping inside the truck when it is raining, as almost all the rain falling on the front cab canvas ends up draining above the doors. It is a real shower without these improvised "gutters", but much better with them.
With my aftermarket "Tuff River" top, which is much thicker than the original top, you almost don't notice them, but they still catch water that drips there. The only issue is that the cloth "tabs" inside the Tuff River top (that secure the squarei-sh rings to keep the top in place) ended up being too thick, so I could not use them, and I had to cut strips of thinner canvas to keep everything in place. One solution would be to undo some of the stitching on the tabs (they are folded over and sewn at the end, which doubles the thickness), but I couldn't be bothered...

They don't solve the door issue, because they don't prevent rain falling on the glass to puddle in the window channels and to drain further down inside the door.

I hope this helps, and I'm happy to provide more pictures if there are details that you want to see.
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Thanks - that is great!
I can only seem to find the J-channel that is square in shape, yours is very much like the plastic.
Looks like it was installed at the factory!
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

love them! Well done!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)