710K upper panel removal

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
whitesik
United States of America

710K upper panel removal

Post by whitesik »

Hi all,
I am a fairly new Pinzgauer 710K owner in Indiana. I have some rust issues that would be best fixed by removing the upper panel enclosure (not sure what to call it). I want to find out what that involves and whether it is a task that I am up to. I have searched but really have not been able to find a specific step by step approach to unbolting and lifting it off. Many have referred to doing it however as part of their projects. The rear appears easy enough, a few bolts and wiring to deal with. It is the front window and divider that concerns me; not wanting to get myself into trouble I can't get out of. If anyone could direct me to a post, an area in the manuals or offer a tutorial I would be grateful. Thanks!
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Re: 710K upper panel removal

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Hi mate

Pinzgauers were manufactured in Austria, so the majority of the documentation is German.
If you do understand the language and/or trust google translator, here is a link to the servicemanual of the Austrian army.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/wtxoi0p2yo8s7 ... r.pdf?dl=0
chapter 171 covers the questions you asked.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

Thanks. That seems to be different than the service manual I have. I do not know the language and have not figured out how to translate it but by the pictures that section seems to tell how to remove or lift off the entire body. I wish to remove only the hard top from what I think are called the lateral/ rear boards and top of window rail. I will keep looking.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

whitesik

the Swiss kept their Pinzgauers in pristine conditions, the Austrians used them :-)
As a result the Austrian army had their Pinzgauer fleet refurbished between 1996 and 200x., and several modifictions got introduced, like the exec2 diffs, diesel style rear end, 120 km/h speedo.
these changes are reflected in that service manual.
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

I know there are people who have done it - Dave Dunn did it on his 716K called the "pink cow" many years ago - as well as Brian Mason and Scott at Expedition-Imports...

The tough part might be at the top of the windshield? Haven't looked at a K that closely to know.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com