Any tricks to removing side rails?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
mmcc100
United States of America

Any tricks to removing side rails?

Post by mmcc100 »

Just took ownership today and started stripping it down for cleaning, etc. Trying to take the rotten wood off, but the screws either spin or won't budge. Drill them out? I'm sure the nutserts are spinning, but don't want to damage anything. Any trick/tips?
pcolette
United States of America

Re: Any tricks to removing side rails?

Post by pcolette »

Drive wood shims between the body and the side rail to put more pressure on the fasteners, then unscrew the ones you can and drill out the others. It's typical to have to drill out the old rivet nuts and install new ones.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
mmcc100
United States of America

Post by mmcc100 »

Got them off. I ended up having to combinations of what you guys said. I'm a new guy and you guys have been so kind and patient. Thank you! My love for this thing is growing daily!
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

now the fun begins. Deciding what to put back on. The designs and concepts vary almost as much as the owners of these trucks. Some go for looks, others for practical uses and others for the stock look.
mmcc100
United States of America

Post by mmcc100 »

Probably going to get Andre to make me a set of tube metal ones. Not going back with wood, even though I could make those in my shop.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I trashed one side of my wood rails back in '04. I built some of the tubular side rails for mine then and absolutely love them. I have welded pieces on to the tubes for temporary racks when needed then just cut them off and sand/repaint. They also take the hits from the rocks and trees a lot better then does the wood or rubber rails. I have even made a bunch of comfort items that attach quickly to the rails to make camping life much nicer.
Great thing about these trucks, you are only limited by your imagination and wallet.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

4x4Pinz wrote: Great thing about these trucks, you are only limited by your imagination and wallet.
Lucky you; we in Europe are limited by the regulations of the traffic authorities :-)
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army