Replacing front floor pan 710K?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
undysworld
Norway

Re: Replacing front floor pan 710K?

Post by undysworld »

Second vote here for Linden Engineering in Littleton. Dennis is terrific, in my opinion.
It is better to go skiing and think of God, than go to church and think of sport. Fridjof Nansen
I hope to die in my ski boots... ...just not today. Me
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

I finally got it home. I pulled my expanding foam patch, and what was left of a prior owners failed patch. The floor is basically fully gone on drivers side. Even to the right of the steering shaft is gone, but the prior owner repair still holds. The steering column moves freely when you steer or hit a bump, the only thing that kept it from being worse is the foot plate slot.
Attachments
pinzhole2.jpg
pinzhole2.jpg (283.91 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
pinzhole1.jpg
pinzhole1.jpg (194.55 KiB) Viewed 5129 times
-Erik in Colorado
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

ouch - glad that failed on a trail and not while you were going fast, with faster cars all around you!!
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Now that is a novel way to add air conditioning!
Jim M.
712W and 710M
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

Yeah, would have been deadly at any speed over 10-15mph. Oddly on the actual trail the real damage wasn't that noticeable and we were able to get back through some tricky situations. It sorta steers itself over rough terrain anyways or you risk losing an elbow into the door. I am sure this is going to break my bank and make my grandpa (the guy who left me the money to afford this toy) roll in the grave. But oh well, what is money for. Better to fix it right than do some bodge repair like what masked this problem to begin with. This is almost the only rust, thanks I think to the leaky driver window (they all leak!!), sitting a few years at the right angle pooling water. The passenger side is clean and solid.

I will call Linden on Monday first thing when they open. I have ordered the part from SAV but still they are trying to figure out shipping.
-Erik in Colorado
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

When LinDen received the floor... they said no. Too big a job. I guess I understand when I see their yard full of like 2 unimogs, 3 pinzgauers, 2 range rovers and maybe a half dozen sprinter vans.

I have a welder friend who is up for the challenge.
-Erik in Colorado
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

I didn't realize how complicated this floor is! I thought some of this stuff was below the floor meaning it would have to be replaced from above. But now it seems like the only thing other than the stuff that goes through the floor that hinders this from the bottom is the angled bit of chassis that comes up from the axle to the bumper. That looks like it would unbolt and then the whole floor could be pulled down?
Attachments
pinzfront.jpg
pinzfront.jpg (356.08 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
pinz_newfloor1.jpg
pinz_newfloor1.jpg (229.67 KiB) Viewed 5041 times
-Erik in Colorado
Andre
United States of America

Post by Andre »

You will have to remove all the steering links to get the nose support off.
Fat Fabrications
2993 FM 1647
Winnsboro, TX. 75494
fatfabrications@yahoo.com
(903) 365-2332 shop
(951) 765-7224 mobile
Facebook.com/dokapinz6x6
Www.fatfabrications.com
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Imho such a repar requires to lift the body from the backbone chassis.
disconnect a few lines and electrical connectors, remove the exhaust pipe , fuel tank, battery/toolbox and lift the body.
one you have unobstructed view of the whole underbelly you are able to tackle the repair and decide if you can patch her up or if you require spares like
this one http://www.puch.at/2836_Plateau%2c-Fuss ... G=de#pos16
Cheers
Albert
========================
My Pinz has NEVER been with any army
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

I have the spare part 16... it is quite a part, much more than just a floor! So I am trying to figure out how to install it whole because chopping it up seems a shame. It doesn't seem like you'd have to remove the body to get at this. The whole piece is forward of all the parts you mention. The only thing that seems in the way is the nose support.
-Erik in Colorado
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

edj710k

trust me, i have seen the bare belly of my Pinz

if you want to cut and weld without any obstacles, do yourself a favour and take off the body. you won't regret it !
Cheers
Albert
========================
KyPinz

Post by KyPinz »

My floor pans are about the same, and my steering box has broke loose also. Is there a separate plate that those 4 steering box
bolts attach to that is welded to the floor pan? Or are the nuts actually welded to the floor pan itself? I found 2 new replacement
floor pans in the back of my Pinz when I got it, but there is nothing there to thread those 4 bolts into. Also there are no rails to mount
the diamond plate floor panels to. Just have not cut out the bad floor parts yet to inspect it. Thanks.
Hotzenplotz
Austria

Post by Hotzenplotz »

Have a look at the picture

item 16 is the whole floor pan. The 4 bolts holding the steering assy are on that item
get it welded in properly, and your problem will be solved; tinkering around the steering mounting will lead to catastrophic failures !
Cheers
Albert
========================