Replacing front floor pan 710K?

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
edj710k
United States of America

Replacing front floor pan 710K?

Post by edj710k »

Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I bought my 710K in January and have been having too much fun (and even a tip over already!).
The biggest issue when I bought is the rusted out driver floor with gaping holes. I thought that was just a problem for wet feet and cheapo patched it with foam and spray rubber. But trying to turn around at a dead end trail, cranking the steering wheel over I heard a terrible snap. I didn't realize what it was... until driving down the trail, steering was super vague and would move my feet. The anchors for the steering shaft broke through the rusty floor and the shaft now is only held by the foot plate slot so can move side to side quite far. About a full spin of the steering wheel of loose play! We were lucky to be able to still drive out on slow dirt road all the way to a friend's tow shop to leave it parked safely until I can schedule repair. It would have been suicide over 10mph, even then it was wild steering to go straight.

The entire front floor pan all the way across is available 'new' for a reasonable price. It seems like the Pinzgauer is spartan enough that installation would be 'easy'? Is that true? Does anyone have a rough estimate for how long it would take a pinz-pro to replace the front floor? Is that panel welded to anything? It seems like it would be.

And damn, this happens just as the gates to the high country roads are finally opening. But I am glad it didn't happen on one of those long treacherous roads!

(Anybody else near Nederland, CO?)

-Erik in Colorado
rmel
United States of America

Re: Replacing front floor pan 710K?

Post by rmel »

Might want to give Cold War Remarketing a call, he's located in Englewood CO.
http://www.coldwarremarketing.com/ He has some limited Pinz parts.
Dono about body parts or what he does w.r.t. work or local shops he may use.
He might know a local with Pinz body experience. Someone might chime in here
who's in the area for better information.

Good luck.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

CWR predicted 30+ hours at $110 per hour if it went smooth and "it never goes smooth". And unavailable until at least August. Linden Engineering who has a history with this truck is on vacation until July 10 and surely well booked. So I guess summer is off and I should plan to be poor in the fall.
-Erik in Colorado
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Time to buy a welder and some sheet metal!
No better way to learn
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

You don't need a "pinz pro", just a good body/fabricator guy. Ask around.

Someone estimating a repair like that over the phone isn't being realistic, at all. That's a hands-on discussion.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

As per Vince -or- maybe get your rig down to Fat Fab and get all the weak
spots taken care of by Andre. If the pan on the drivers side is toast, the
passengers side can't be great either. If summer is gone get her done right :?

edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

He was realistically vague and said he would really need to see it. But no time until August. So I figure $3K is very rough estimate. Rollinsville has some guys who would try ... but only would take on such a project in winter. Oh well. We got something like 80 hours of fun on the gauge before it broke without actually stranding us.

I ordered the whole part 'new' army surplus... it is both driver and passenger all the way across. So that should be 'doing it right'. If you think Fat Fab could do the part replacement sooner than mid August then I would def give them a call. Otherwise July 10, I will call Linden and get on their schedule or get on CWR schedule.

I have neglected motorcycles to keep me busy, so don't need to take up welding yet.
-Erik in Colorado
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

$3K for a floor repair?? I bought an entire Pinz body for that much.

Post some pics.

edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

Fat Fab with Andre in TX? I think it will be easier and cheaper to stay local! I just have to be patient. Maybe better options will arise.

In the meantime I can try to fix the leaky windows (topic for another thread) that fill the front floor pan and rusted this out to begin with. I think this sat year(s) outside in such a way that filled driver side and not passenger which seems quite solid.
-Erik in Colorado
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

It was rough estimate not to repair the damaged floor but to replace the whole floor all the way across with... https://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.p ... 1610102/29 and all the required disconnects of electrics and hydraulics. And dealing with welds to other potentially (unknown) rust that may exist and have to be dealt with.

Is that quote still unreasonable? Maybe CWR doesn't really want the work. I guess I will find out July 10:)
-Erik in Colorado
edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

I will post pics when I get it back home. It is sitting my friend's tow lot about 10 miles from me right now.
-Erik in Colorado
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Oh ok, that's a lot more work but still seems high to me. Someone like Andre could tell you.

If only the driver's side was affected, why replace all of that? A professional may determine that its better to cut out the needed metal from the new part and only repair what's needed. That should save a ton of money.

I never heard that CW did repairs like that. Is it actually some welding shop near by? (actually didnt know he was still in business)

edj710k
United States of America

Post by edj710k »

He made it sound like he would be doing it himself and very busy right now. If it is cheaper to cut the part in half and just do the driver side as needed and passenger later, I am up for that. I will wait for Linden to return from vacation and get another opinion.
Thanks for the replies.
-Erik in Colorado
rmel
United States of America

Post by rmel »

Yup, Fat Fab is down Texas way. It would be a trailer ride. He's the guy who could
do it blindfolded and make look like band new.

The good news is you still can get new body parts like this, it still amazes me!

In spite of the buckeroo's IMHO I'd replace the hole darn pan driver and passenger side.
It's the integrity/strength of the structure with bends etc. you want, it's not just a hole to
plug :wink:

TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Replacing the whole front pan is a big job
Lots needs to come off the truck - I would not let a local that did not know Pinzgauer do it.
If you can just cut and replace, that would be fine as there is minimal to disassemble.
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker