Swamp cooler/Portable AC for camping in rear bed...

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
SparkEE
United States of America

Swamp cooler/Portable AC for camping in rear bed...

Post by SparkEE »

My son and I tried camping in the rear of my 710M the other night, but was just unbearable due to the lack of ventilation, heat and humidity. I had a portable fan sitting on the doghouse facing the rear with both windows open with little relief.

Any ideas of a small, portable swamp cooler or ac unit that I could place back there? Or should I just wait till Fall arrives? :D
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Re: Swamp cooler/Portable AC for camping in rear bed...

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Swamp coolers really only work in desert type climates. There's no AC system you can install without carrying a sizeable generator as well. I'd consider rolling your sides up and using screen to keep bugs out, or just waiting. When I was on the east coast, I camped during a narrow time window because of the awful humidity there. It was even a factor in deciding to move to the SW US. Nothing worse than having basically no where to off-road plus poor weather to do it in most of the year.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I built my swamp cooler utilizing the electric fans from the radiators found on landrovers. they handle the moisture very well and draw relatively low amount of power. The problem is you are in a humid climate so swamp cooling benefits are limited. AC the next option but like vince said it would mean hauling a generator and an AC unit then keep it running all the time. Tough living in such an environment. At least here in the SW we can use the swamp cooler most of the time, monsoons coming quick and that will put an end to them.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I have a zerobreeze mini AC that cools the rear down reasonably (I do have an insulated top so that helps too)
Battery mode works well.
They have a new model coming out that is “better” but after waiting 1.5 years for the 1st one I am not sure I would gamble on their new kickstarter campaign :)
https://www.zerobreeze.com

My girls are getting older and not as interested in camping. May sell mine
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker