Canvas top repair

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
acurtis
United States of America

Canvas top repair

Post by acurtis »

I have a 710M with a seam in the rear cover that is just starting to come loose. I was hoping to repair it with some type of glue. Anyone know what exactly the original tarps (1973 in my case) are actually made of - so I can try and find the appropriate adhesive for repair . Thinking of making my own rear tarp in the future out of Neoprene coated nylon fabric ( Coverlight)- mainly for a color change and window redo - so I really don't want to have and take it somewhere and pay to have it repaired.
rmel
United States of America

Re: Canvas top repair

Post by rmel »

I had rips and holes on my 712M roof and played with a number of products
to seal the open rips. Ended up replacing the top with a custom hardtop.
But, after the fact ran into this product "Stormsure". Here's a Yourtube on
a chap who used it on his convert roof. Dono if this will be as effective on
the Pinz material which has some kind of rubberized coating.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dozd_sDlbtc

P.S. I also recently replaced the entire rear cover with a newly fabricated
top from Pinzgauer-Tec. I'll be posting the results of that later. Good quality
and NEW not NOS.
Puller: 71' 710K 2.7L EFI aka Mozo
Follower: Sankey MK 3, 3/4 Tonne
Rescue Pinz: 73' 712MK

Driver: Ron // KO0Q
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

HH-66 glue found a lot of places on line the folks who have not had good results more then likely did not do one of two things. the surface needs to be cleaned very well with a vinyl cleaner and elbow grease. the glue needs to be applied to both surfaces and let cure for a bit then a small reapplication before placing the two pieces together. I always clamp with some welding clamps or heavy object if top is on the ground and let set for at least 24hours. I have made a complete custom top for my 712 with this glue including the windows. have towed the pinz at well over highway speeds and driven the pinz for many years without a single failure in the joints. I have replaced many windows with this same practice and have yet to have a failure in the glue joint. All that being said if you can find a shop that will sew the seams back together that would be the best option but gluing for DIY works very well if done correctly.
acurtis
United States of America

Post by acurtis »

Thanks much,

I ordered up some of the HH66, and i'll give her a go- the testimonials on the website certainly look promising. I have a window that is cracked as well. I may try and cut the threads and ty and glue in a new one as well.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I picture framed the opening when replacing the windows that I glued in. that is to say cut the corners at a 45 degree so the flaps can be held out of the way so the window can be laid into place then the flaps placed back over the window. You will be surprised how dirty the window pockets are. I had to do a lot of cleaning with a stiff nylon brush to get the vinyl clean. Use a lot of caution with the glue and the window as the glue will leave marks on the window plastic (yeah that is from experience) most boat shops carry a variety of window material. I went with a heavier plastic as I tend to play in the brush fairly regularly and wanted the material to hold up.

The photo was from way back in '06 a year or so after making the top. This top is a combination of two 710 tops thus the three windows. the "C" rail rubber is also glued to the top with no mechanical fasteners. I used the "C" rail so I could seperate the sides from the top. Top has had no repairs to the glue joints and still in one piece although I no longer use it on my truck as I have made a complete hard top for it.
Attachments
Copy of 100_0712.JPG
Copy of 100_0712.JPG (250.43 KiB) Viewed 4466 times
acurtis
United States of America

Post by acurtis »

Thanks 4x4,
I cut out all the old windows and glued in some new widows, using your picture frame technique and the the HH66.- the new material seems a little thinner than the original, but much clearer. I now have some 45 year old plastic window shards for sale . Lots of sizes and shapes available LOL,