Door Locks

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
totaljoint

Door Locks

Post by totaljoint »

Does anyone have experience with the door lock kits sold thru the various vendors? Difficult to put on? They don't look much different than a cabinet lock from Lowes (xcept for the $) in the pictures.

I know it doesn't prevent theft, but I want to keep the lookie loo's out of my cab when it's parked, and the German Shephard is at home.
Thanks!
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

krick3tt

door locks

Post by krick3tt »

I put them in when I lived in WA. No problem at all, I remember there were very good directions from Scott's website (EI) and other than taking out the inside panels of the doors it was just follow the pictures and go. The first one will take longer and the second is a real snap cause you have done it before.
It can be done with the doors on but I have removable pins so I took the doors off and did it in the shop as it was raining that day. Happens in WA on and off. While the doors were off I replaced the seals as well.
I did put the left lock on the right door but it matters not a wit. They are interchangeable.
Cheers,
Morris
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I was going back through the old thread and noticed Scott Has removed his pics. Is this just temporary Scott?
WolfgangK

Post by WolfgangK »

As a 'poor man's solution' you can also try this:

- pull back the door panel until you can access the connection of the two rods
- extend the rods by using the alternative holes (M6 screw)

Now your door lever has 3 positions instead of 2:

- 45° angle: door closed normal
- pull lever: door opens
- push lever: door is shut and cannot be opened from the outside.

You can now push the lever flat and close the door from the outside. You can open it only again through the window by reaching the door lever inside....

I am not sure my explanation is clear... but once you look to the door mechanism and try it you will get it
:wink:

Wolfgang
edzz
United States of America

Locking doors from inside

Post by edzz »

WolfgangK wrote:As a 'poor man's solution' you can also try this:

- pull back the door panel until you can access the connection of the two rods
- extend the rods by using the alternative holes (M6 screw)

Now your door lever has 3 positions instead of 2:

- 45° angle: door closed normal
- pull lever: door opens
- push lever: door is shut and cannot be opened from the outside.

You can now push the lever flat and close the door from the outside. You can open it only again through the window by reaching the door lever inside....

I am not sure my explanation is clear... but once you look to the door mechanism and try it you will get it
:wink:

Wolfgang

You also need to remove the “screw door lock” if your pinz has it http://www.pinzgauer.com/showdetails.ph ... o=9011957/ this screw is used to disable the door lock feature. Remember as Wolfgang already mentioned you cannot unlock from the outside if you do this modification and have used the inside handle to lock the door. I choose to leave my driver’s door alone as I know I would eventually lock myself out. The rear side doors on my 710k only required the removal of the screw. Less than 30 seconds to modify the rear locks, now I will have more peace of mind sleeping in back at a zombie infested campground. :shock: EDIT:Same as the front doors you cannot unlock from the outside if you do this modification and have used the inside handle to lock the door
Wolfgang thanks for the posting I couldn’t believe the engineer’s had not provided this feature. :)

Ed
crcpinz wrote: Ed, I also have a K and in reading your post I did not understand exactly which screw I'm supposed to remove to be able to lock the back side doors from the inside. I suppose it's a small phillips screw that I would have to drill out (all my door locks have that screw and others stripped), so I just wanted to make sure I pull the right one. Thank you for your time.
Javier

crcpinz asked for clarification so I have added a photo with the location of the removed screw circled in red. Hope this helps.
Ed
Attachments
DSC01033b.jpg
DSC01033b.jpg (56.55 KiB) Viewed 8829 times
Last edited by edzz on Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
crcpinz

Re: Door Locks

Post by crcpinz »

Amazing! I now have doors that can be closed from the inside. The mod was done with a Swiss army knife. Thank you Ed (and many others in this forum). You guys are an essential part of the reason I got a Pinz. Cheers to all.
Si vis pacem, para bellum
1976 710K
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000163282080
waterdog
Paraguay

Post by waterdog »

my buddy "BULLET" works fine for me.........Image i even leave the windows open......
1985 710MS
1985 712MK
1988 PAJERO CAMEL SPECIAL 042/150
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Waterdog,
You beat me to it! I was going to suggest getting a dog. But your picture says it all.
My two dalmatians seem to attract people - up to a certain proximity. Then they repel them. Hmm... I consider them my alarm system.
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

I installed electric door lock actuators. Its been working great so far will take pictures later
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Great tip, screws are now removed and I can lock the doors from the inside! Wish I'd known about this modification ages ago!
Thanks for the info.
Jake2015
United States of America

Post by Jake2015 »

cruzoropeza wrote:I installed electric door lock actuators. Its been working great so far will take pictures later
Anyone have more information on electric door lock actuators?
Facebook: Southwest Pinzgauer