Wooden side rails 712M (Rub Rails)

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Tibbermore

Wooden side rails 712M (Rub Rails)

Post by Tibbermore »

Hi can anyone help.

I have purchased a 712M but the wooden side rails which run along the body are missing. I intend to replace them but would like to make sure they match the factory spec. Does anyone know what timber the originals are made from and does anyone have a sketch or drawing of a cross section of the rail.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

It's got to be "original"? You have a ton of options if that's not a hang up. Thilo Kass sells some made out of TREX material but they don't paint well.

A buddy fabricated some for me out of U shaped steel that are SERIOUSLY beefy and one of the guys in the SWPA also has a cool solution to replace them but also in steel.

But if you need to go OEM then so be it.... :(
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

Tibb:

Found this sketch:
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/kAUQS_Ejhh ... nsions.jpg

Changed to correct link 11/27/09 (again)

It does not give the length or type of wood. I just took mine off to sand & refinish. I will let you know what type of wood I "think" it is after they are stripped.

Regards, Kevin
Last edited by kpoling on Fri Nov 27, 2009 11:16 am, edited 2 times in total.
krick3tt

rubrails

Post by krick3tt »

I really beat up one side of mine on a rock and replaced them with metal channel. I was going to attach a carrier on the top and use them to support it but changed my mind as it would not fit in the garage if I did so. There is a view of the rails on this shot.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... 3362-1.jpg

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
krick3tt

rubrails

Post by krick3tt »

I really beat up one side of mine on a rock and replaced them with metal channel. I was going to attach a carrier on the top and use them to support it but changed my mind as it would not fit in the garage if I did so. There is a view of the rails on this shot.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... 3362-1.jpg

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Tibbermore,

I replaced the rails on my first 712 and used some old green-treated lumber. The wood was salvaged from an old deck, so the wood was a few years old. I cut up a nice 2x12 that was all clear (no knots for non-carpenters). It cut great, and it took a coat of black paint really nicely.

That truck's still in town, George owns it, so I've seen it for the past 7-8 yrs. and they've held up great.

My current truck's got rails that were made for Patrick at CWR, and they don't seem to have the same profile at the ends. The original was over 45 degrees, so it was a bitch of a cut to make. They took the lazy way out and cut 'em at 45.

I can give you dimensions from my current truck, or go over and measure the George's, in case nobody else chimes in here with the actual dimensions. PM me if you can't get the answer.

Paul
Peresh

Post by Peresh »

Tim on SWPA made me a front bumper. He also makes steel side rails. There are some nice pics on SWPA site. I would definately get them.

I got Thilo's Trex rails. They are very good.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Tim's side rails in either model are about the only ones that I would consider. Many lift points and it is nice to have something I can actually walk on when storing items on the top racks. I have used mine far more times than I can recount on my 710 and my 712. Those who know me and what I have done with the trucks will tell you the only reason my trucks are still in great shape is because of the armor package that is on both of them.
locosmith

Side Rails

Post by locosmith »

I made a set out of Cedar, Thay are working well, and don't rot. Loco
Pols497
United States of America

Post by Pols497 »

How do you get in touch with Thilo Kass for some Trex siderails?
Roger Melton
texas pinzgauer

His website is www.mogsrus.com and his number is 928-443-8880.
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

Jon_Gilbart

Rub rails

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

I just picked up my new rub rails today. I had them milled to match the original ones that were found on my 712M. They REALLY look GREAT! Everthing, including the previously mentioned angles on the ends that should NOT be cut at 45 degrees, seems to be perfect and match the originals to a tee! I was told that the original ones were oak, so I had the new ones done in oak, as well. Can anyone confirm that oak is the correct original material used? Anyhow, if anyone is interested, I would be happy to post pictures of my newly finished (and so far, unpainted) rub rails. If there's any interest, I was thinking about having more of them made and selling them to the interested parties. Let me know if anyone is interested... -Jon
texas pinzgauer

I've thought that these would look nice if they were clean and varnished. Are you going to paint yours Jon or "make them pretty"?

David
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

Jon_Gilbart

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

texas pinzgauer wrote:I've thought that these would look nice if they were clean and varnished. Are you going to paint yours Jon or "make them pretty"?

David
I'm not really sure yet... They look pretty cool as is (unpainted, with the natural oak grain), but probably wouldn't last that long w/out some sort of paint or stain. I kind of like the look of my Pinzgauer w/ the satin black epoxy primer. It kind of has a 2-tone paint scheme going on w/ a few parts still in green (like the soft top) and the rest in black. I'm thinking a green rub rail would look cool on the black background. We'll see!
karoja

Post by karoja »

I suggest you take the opportunity to mount an angular iron beween the rub-rail and the body, with the other part of the angular iron going under the body. This will allow you to use a Hi-Lift along the whole body without damage. Here a picture of my home made rubrail out of treated lumber: Image
Karl
http://www.monkeybaymarina.com
712 Camper / 710 M