Fitting a baby seat in a 712M

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
psychoman

Fitting a baby seat in a 712M

Post by psychoman »

Okay, we're about to have our first baby and are currently debating whether or not to keep the Pinz. We love the truck, but realistically I'm not sure whether it'll get much use when sprog comes along unless we can find a safe and legal way to mount a baby seat in the front as well as the existing seats....

So the question is... has anyone done this, and if so, how? We live in the UK, BTW, if that helps...
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
Engelbert

Post by Engelbert »

This is part of the reason I bought a VW Syncro when I was shopping for a Pinz... curious to see what people come up with.
He/She wont be in a baby seat for long.(couple years?)
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Congrats on your news, I can see the dilema. In my 710k we have retained one of the forward facing seats in the back allowing for a passenger. A baby seat would fit there.

Don't think you would be able to put a baby seat in the front as well as the existing seats but it could be put on the passenger seat and mum / dad sit in the back. When my son was young and in a forward facing booster seat he used to get some looks as he was sitting where everyone was expecting the driver to be in the UK!

Have you thought about adding one or two forward facing seats in the back. There are seats designed for the back of landrovers which must have the same style of half mounted on the wheel box one leg to the floor. Main problem will be access and space for feet although not a problem for a baby.

Engelbert is right about how quick babies grow, maybe a few years of different style holidays then.....

You could always look out for a 712k with seating for 5 and loads of luggage space!
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I dont know a lot about baby seats etc, but a few years ago a young couple brought there 712 out from Europe to tour around Australia.
They had a baby seat mounted on the central cargo barrier on top of the engine cover, facing forwards of course..... I don't think I've got any pics of the setup (not really a Pinny feature I was interested in :wink: ) but I'II have a look in my archives.
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Baby seat

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

I had a customer who also had a baby seat fitted in the front, he put extra bracing bars from the roll bar down to the bulkhead to take an extra seat belt, and used it to secure the baby seat. He say the baby loved every minute in the pinz. START EM YOUNG !!!
psychoman

Re: Fitting a baby seat in a 712M

Post by psychoman »

Holy ancient thread alert, Batman!

Couple of years on, we still have the Pinz 8) ... though its not had as much use recently.

Finally found an answer to our problem and that seems to be a "rock n roll" seat that a UK manufacturer produces - this is essentially a forward facing folding seat with inertia real seat belt mounts. Not bought one yet, but it looks like a good option and still lets us use the Pinz as a weekend camper. Big debate now is whether to convert to an Amby back or keep it as an M... :?
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

Glad to hear u found a solution I'm in te US I have a 1 year old and a two year old I take them both four wheeling I just used the straps the baby seat came with and it works fine
pinzmeister-uk
Great Britain

Post by pinzmeister-uk »

Hi Dave.
Here are some pictures of my 712 Ambulance/Camper, might give you a few ideas.
Cheers Nigel.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I made a bracket which fits to the bolts on the back of the bulkhead. With the center section of the screen removed and the seat facing forward the babies mom is happy. She just adjusts the rear view mirror so she can keep an eye on him. I set the bracket up to attach the seat with the same mounts as if used in a regular vehicle.
If I get a chance I will stop by his house and snap a photo or two.
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Cheers Nigel.

Presumably you cut away the spare wheel well etc to open the cab up, yes?

Looks interesting - I'm trying to work out whether I can bolt the seats etc through the Amby back but still have this removable (i.e. not bolted through the main tub too)... Be good to chat through what you've done when I see you at W & P.

4x4Pinz - yep - would appreciate some photos if you get a chance.

Thanks all

Dave S
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Oh - and Nigel - are you guys still doing full length replacement fibreglass tops...? If so, can you send me further details - i.e. more photos, fitting details, costs, etc.

Thanks!

Dave S