Homemade blackout curtains

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
spandit

Homemade blackout curtains

Post by spandit »

Thought I'd give making some blackout curtains a go so bought some material, borrowed my mother-in-law's sewing machine and got to work.

The dyeing process didn't work (the material was bright green and I was trying to make it black) but they've ended up a nice dark green colour anyway:

Needs ironing and bracing bars attaching to top and bottom, etc. but at least it will stop people from looking in whilst we're sleeping in there!

Going to try to make the centre curtain now, using this pattern:

Once they're sewn, I'll soak them in Nikwax Cotton Proof to give them a bit of protection
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Nice work!

black out curtains made of plastified cloth were part of the 710k standard kit in the Swiss army, more to avoid letting artificial light out than to prevent people from looking in, but I bet they are close to unfindable these days...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
spandit

Post by spandit »

Thanks, Jan!

I know they were standard on military Pinzes but mine is a civilian one, although one of the rear door tops has the Velcro™ already fitted. I also know they were to keep the vehicle completely light proof, but I'm hoping people won't be trying to shoot us when we're sleeping in it - that's why I'm not too worried if the material isn't completely "blackout"

Had a quick look on one of the websites for originals - huge money!! Mine has cost me about £20 so far for all 4 blinds (will be a bit more if I buy the proper Tenax fasteners to secure the rolled up blinds)
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)