General Pinz'ing

All things body, interior, paint, windows, tops... you know.
Mac

General Pinz'ing

Post by Mac »

Hello All,
I'm new here as I just purchased my Pinz. Excuse this post if it is in a poor location. My Pinzgauer is a 1974 710M that was recently on here for sale.

I'm wondering about anything related to driving this beast- Any tricks or tips? I have a 1951 M37, so I'm used to heavy old army trucks, although this one has a lot more pep!

Is there a list somewhere of what everything does and how to work it..... In English? I speak a little german, but not fluently enough to read the manuals.

Do these have High-Beams? So far I've figured out how to turn on the lights ( :lol: )...but they seem pretty low. I also figured out how to turn it to S1, S2, and S3, but i don't have any understanding of what they do...

Any advice would be appreciated

Thanks from a noob,
Mac
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
spandit

Re: General Pinz'ing

Post by spandit »

Mac,
Welcome to the forum!

My headlights had about 16volts across them due to poor earths/ground. I'd advise taking the lights out & checking the wiring

Driving tips? Leave the levers alone on the road (unless it's covered in snow) - I was taught to use them only when really needed off-road
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
stiffler4444
Canada

Post by stiffler4444 »

Welcome!

High beams work the same as most cars, just a flick of the signal lever and you've got 'em on, which will be apparent by the bright blue light on the dash that is probably brighter than the beams !!!! :lol:
1972 710m
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

finish filling out your profile info and possibly someone near you can take you out and show you all there is to know about the truck.

Welcome to the Pinz world.
cronapress
Great Britain

Post by cronapress »

As stiffler says, just flick the turn signal lever up towards the steering wheel and release it. With the headlights switched on, as well as the blue lamp on the dash, you should hear an audible "clunk" from the relay behind the dash.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Gah! That is so frustratingly obvious.... I don't know if it was the age, or just because it's military...but I didn't think of that at all! Thank you very much :lol: .... I kept pulling on that little white switch by the flashers and nothing happened. What is that thing?
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Mac wrote:Hello All,
I'm wondering about anything related to driving this beast- Any tricks or tips?
Thanks from a noob,
Mac
Remember when driving off road to hook the mud flaps (that’s what the hole in the center of the flap weight is for) saves tearing them off and running over them when backing up. :shock:
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

Mac,
Welcome to the site and you are going to be a happy pinz owner. Get out and play with it.
Best way to learn. Seems the military in most countries have the same design book for operating
the things. Get the owners manual if you don't yet have one, lots of stuff in there on making it go.

Since you have old US iron you probably know about the Steel Soldiers site.
They have lots of rallies back East in your area and they would really like to see a pinz in the
line up. If you are green (OD) you will more than likely be welcome.

edit:
Since you speak a bit of German, you might like this site. This is the English translated version
but you will understand how the sentence structure works.
http://translate.google.com/translate?h ... soft:en-us

Morris
'73 710M
M416A trailer
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
wudog

Post by wudog »

Welcome Mac, I am recently new to the forum too. PM me with your address and I can send a CD copy of the PINZ manual. Of course, all Pinz owner are welcome to get one too, PM me.

V/R David
USA, Love it or leave, stop bitching.
ccalingaert

Post by ccalingaert »

The white switch by the flasher turns on power to the nearby 24V socket that's a bit smaller than a cigarette lighter.

Get the the owner's, parts, and repair manuals - they come in handy. Either Swiss Army Vehicles or Expedition Imports should have them.

By the way, the old winch bumper that used to be on your 710M is now on my 710K so we are almost related.
Chris
'74 710K
Mac

Post by Mac »

-Cool, I hope it is serving you well! Bumper buddies sounds a little odd though :lol:

-My vehicle does not have mudflaps anymore... Who knows why?

-Ah okay! i wasn't sure what that was next to the white pull. Mine is filled in with white (puddie?)
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP