Electric 1972 Pinzgauer 710M Build Thread

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Re: Electric 1972 Pinzgauer 710M Build Thread

Post by GenevaPinz »

Thanks for the indirect updates. It makes 100% sense that work for paying customers takes precedence over other projects (which are made possible by income from paying customers)...
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
Gozar

Post by Gozar »

Just saw this posted up on their instagram account:
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bd1MldwAbJC ... westdotcom
Gozar

Post by Gozar »

Here's another tidbit of information about the EV West Pinzgauer:
https://youtu.be/zyzbz8JQfAY?t=669 (it's at 11:09 in the video.)
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

Nice find! It looks like its going to be a while.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Project Ecarus
Austria

Post by Project Ecarus »

Hi Everyone!

We wanted to let you know that we too, are developing an electric pinzgauer, and we have added an attempt to solar-power it for completely autonomous overland/offroad travel. We had also found EV West's amazing work (here on this forum!) when we had this idea last year, and instantly loved it, and wanted to work with them too. Unfortunately that didn't work out as they are in extremely high demand in California (for good reasons!), so we built a different team with other nutcases like ourselves at AVS in France.

If all goes to plan, there will be conversion kits and full E-Pinzgauers (710 and 712 base vehicles) - with and without the solar option - we hope this crazy idea will work out - we will do a major overland test expedition over 7000kms. I'm attaching some pics here of our 1st protoype and some working designs, and if people here at real 4x4 are interested, we would be happy to share more project details here on this forum. (Note there are two vehicles on the pics - there's a 712 6x6 which we call ECARUS which is the main vehicle and a 710 (4x4) which is the Prototype, which we are using to test the electric Motor, Battery and Management system. This helps us make sure the Kit will work seamslessly to "plug and play" into other Pinzis, and allows us to develop in parallel ECARUS' expedition cabin and foldable solar system.

Also - we thought some here may appreciate this: We are about to post an interview with one of the "fathers" of the Haflinger and Pinzgauer - Dr. Rudolf, who was at Steyr-Puch 1955-1987 and was Director during these magical years when both of these legends, as well as the G, were conceived. (In fact, one of the first drawings of the haflinger was his!) Yes, the gentlemen is still alive and kicking at 92, and lives not far from us here in the home of Steyr-Puch in Austria) We will keep you posted once it's ready on www.ProjectEcarus.com

Please let us know what you think of Project Ecarus, thank you and long live the Pinzgauer!

HANNES and LISA at ProjectEcarus.com
Attachments
7_ECARUS_Prototyope_DASHBOARD_LR.png
7_ECARUS_Prototyope_DASHBOARD_LR.png (196.36 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
6_ECARUS_Prototype_SIDE.png
6_ECARUS_Prototype_SIDE.png (225.57 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
5_ECARUS_Prototype_FRONT.png
5_ECARUS_Prototype_FRONT.png (541.92 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
3_ECARUS_CABIN.png
3_ECARUS_CABIN.png (110.78 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
2_ECARUS_BASE.png
2_ECARUS_BASE.png (195.01 KiB) Viewed 8069 times
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Thanks for the post. I'm very curious about the project as obviously this will be a needed solution in the future to keep all old cars on the roads.

The big question I have about this and some other projects claiming similar plans, is the solar aspect of it. I love what you are doing but I don't understand that part of it since it would be impossible with today's tech to even get close to charging up the massive power needs of an electric auto without massive panels that are many times the size of a 712's roof, and lots of time, not to mention lots of direct sunlight. I know someone here in Ca. who has a home solar system in his yard using high-tech, commercial grade panels that cost over $50,000 and it takes up quite a bit of room. I don't think even that would charge an electric car in a practical sense since you'd have to be parked all through the day (and hope it's not full of clouds) which is when you want to be driving. How do you plan to do it with even less real estate?

You should start a new thread about the project when you have updates!

Project Ecarus
Austria

Post by Project Ecarus »

Thanks Vince, you hit the nail on the head exactly - the solar challenge is amongst the biggest ones on the project - since as you say, the few panels you'll fit ON a 712 won't get us far! So we have developed a solar system design that makes a massive 13Kw Solar System portable and flexibly deployable when you are parked, but fits into the pinz weight and size wise when rolling.

Our ambition and hence the system size is to recharge the 85KWh battery pack in one single (sunny) day.

There's just over 1 Kw permanently exposed (roof and one side) for a nice trickle charge and auxiliary power, and ca. 12Kw fold out when you set up camp.
Assembling this design, testing and integrating it with other charging/BMS software is the challenge we embark on in the next 6 weeks - our shipment of panels arrives Monday - wish us luck!

And yes, we'll have to select our wild camp sites accordingly for natural "real estate" that can be borrowed to be a chunky solar plant :-).
Project Ecarus
Austria

Post by Project Ecarus »

FYI We've started a new thread to introduce our project here: http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... 713#p88713
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

EV West stated that they are still technically working on the Pinz but its a low priority since it is shop owned and not a customer project that they are getting paid for.

If I had the money I'd take it over as a paying customer. I'd love to see it reach at least 250 miles range which sounds very possible.