Aux Fuel Tanks

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
namtinker
Canada

Aux Fuel Tanks

Post by namtinker »

My solution to increase the fuel carrying capacity of the Pinz. (Photos in reverse order...)
Photo 1: Rear of the truck after the insides were sandblasted and coated with POR-15
Photo 2: Two marine, below deck approved, fuel storage tanks with integrated gauges, vents, etc. The Facet fuel pump picks up from both tanks via a selector valve. The switches in the photo is for the tank selector, a master OFF, and pump ON. Combined capacity 80L.
Photo 3: Everything covered with a welded steel plate, with protected “Bump-outs” for the fill hoses, left and right. The plate is bolted into the Pinz using the standard mounting locations over the wheel arches. Fill connections are completely sealed, but still inside the vehicle next to the seats. Still debating cutting the holes!
Photo 4: My battery power box/location was one rusted mess, so I removed it. Instead there is a circuit breaker, a 24V panel, a 24-12 converter and 12V fuse block. Single fuel gauge that picks up both tank levels, with off/tank 1/tank 2 selection switch.
I have a quick connect on the pump discharge and simply run the hose into the Pinz fill connection. I did not want to tap into the tank, although I could theoretically have used the Espar location and just added a small check valve. This way is simpler and I can also fill other things.
All without cutting or drilling new holes in the Pinz. (I have yet to overcome that resistance!)
Only outstanding item now is to properly coat the plate and pump/switch mounting bases.
Back door closes tight to the plate, and the tanks butt up tight against the front tool box/seats. The nice level loading area is now a bonus!

Cheers
Attachments
Photo 4
Photo 4
Gauge.jpg (124.51 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Photo 3
Photo 3
Plate.jpg (94.92 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Photo 2
Photo 2
Tanks.jpg (93.09 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
Photo 1
Photo 1
Back-empty.jpg (84.35 KiB) Viewed 2178 times
namtinker
Canada

Re: Aux Fuel Tanks

Post by namtinker »

I forgot to mention - vent lines are routed out the back left of the truck, through the grommet next to the number plate. Lines are fitted with roll-over valves. Hoses are high pressure, either Oetinger clamped, or double clamped. I pressure tested the system via the vent line before installing the roll-over valve. No leaking or venting inside the truck at 3 atm.

Cheers
Haf-e
United States of America

Re: Aux Fuel Tanks

Post by Haf-e »

Nice Job - Great way to improve the weight balance on a 710 truck too.

Understand the issue with cutting holes but if its done right (not doing on any seams of folded profiles - just on flat metal) then patching the hole later can be done with out it being detectable if needed.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com