Custom Center Console

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
hackcampbell

Custom Center Console

Post by hackcampbell »

I wanted to show off the center console that one of the previous owners of my 710M built, as inspiration for others who might want something other than the maintenance cover.

As a new owner, I'm currently struggling with how much I want to modify my new truck. I have a '74, and it's in pretty decent shape, and has no obvious modifications, except for this console. I'd like to add little comforts here and there, as long as it doesn't take it too far from the factory look. At the same time, I love looking and day dreaming about all of the heavily modified vehicles as well. I guess I need two!

I say all that above because this console has been invaluable for adding some comfort to the Pinz without changing the look too much. I wish I could take credit for it's design and fabrication, because it's rock solid and practical, but credit goes to some other guy.

We had a minor catastrophe the first night we owned it. I had to leave it parked outside until I could modify my garage. The previous owner had taken the antenna mount off to accommodate his garage, and hadn't really sealed up the hole. It poured that night, and soaked everything in that box, including the maintenance manual. The book is a little wavy, but fine. I've since sealed it it up, so future crises have been averted. The only real issue besides that is that the original maintenance cover has been lost, and didn't come with the vehicle. It's not a big deal I suppose, as I don't think I'd ever want to replace this console with it, but it would be nice for the next owner, if there is one. They aren't terribly expensive on EI, but I don't plan to spend money on something just to put it in storage.

Except for the hinge, clasps, and poles (plastic) it's made of wood. When I purchased the truck, the previous owner mentioned how the cup holders were too small, and boy, they were. For a couple weeks until I could get around to boring them out it drove me and my wife nuts how every cup, mug, and water bottle we owned would just almost fit. So, we opened them up some and chamfered them. I haven't painted the exposed wood yet. It's also at a good height for resting your arm. It's great for storing extra earplugs for other people riding in the vehicle, little tools, registration, etc.

I wish I had plans to share them, but I reckon most Pinzgauer owners are handy enough to build one if they wanted.

1974 Pinzgauer 710M
TechMOGogy
Canada

Re: Custom Center Console

Post by TechMOGogy »

Welcome to the board and Pinz ownership!
A forum member built all of those.
Here is the thread (unfortunately Photobucket and Dropbox have changed their rules and most of the photos are now MIA)
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=5516&hilit=Console
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Yeah, Those are built by Brad here in AZ. Never heard of anyone who had trouble with the size of the cup holder holes. They were sized to hold cans with heavy koozies, yeti, RTIC, and other popular drink containers. He has made a few variations. One that holds cell phones along with the drinks. The ability to put small items needed for comfortable travel at your fingertips is invaluable. I believe he will have a few available on the SWPINZ.com site again.
hackcampbell

Post by hackcampbell »

Well, I guess I turned into a living advertisement for it, cause I love it. I'm glad some other people get to enjoy this console too! I figured some long lost previous owner of my truck made one up in his garage.

I must have missed that thread. Either way, I definitely recommend them. Dunno what to say about the cup size though, maybe cups were smaller in 2009. :? :lol:
1974 Pinzgauer 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

4x4Pinz wrote:Yeah, Those are built by Brad here in AZ. Never heard of anyone who had trouble with the size of the cup holder holes. They were sized to hold cans with heavy koozies, yeti, RTIC, and other popular drink containers. He has made a few variations. One that holds cell phones along with the drinks. The ability to put small items needed for comfortable travel at your fingertips is invaluable. I believe he will have a few available on the SWPINZ.com site again.

Love mine. Traveled through three pinzgauers. As a matter of fact, the first was damaged in transit, and they quickly sent me another!

Whats the best way to contact Brad? I'd like one made using composite marine lumber.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
DeStoriesair
United States of America

Post by DeStoriesair »

Are people interested in the center consoles still?
Southwest Pinzgauer Association Member
Pinzgauer 710M
http://www.swpinz.com
Facebook: Southwest Pinzgauer
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Yes...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

I would also be interested depending on material used and price point. Many photos are absent in the original thread so going from memory here.
Thanks for considering another run.
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
DeStoriesair
United States of America

Post by DeStoriesair »

Most all of the past consoles have been MDF. They have worked out very well! Other forms of wood can be used but that would typically make the price higher as MDF is a little less expensive. Everyone in the club has been running with them for many years! Its great to have that center storage!
Out of curiosity, what is a price that someone would expect to pay based off the pictures that are floating around on the forum, minus shipping cost?
Pinzgauer 710M
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I've had mine for about 6 years now. The east coast humidity, and evening condensation caused drips, which caused swelling. I mounted a rubber mat over the top to prevent further damage. It works fine.

This is where marine lumber comes in nicely. I'd have no fear of rain nor water.

I think I paid $300 back then? I'd expect an up charge for the more expensive materials.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
whitesik
United States of America

Post by whitesik »

From original 2010 thread by 4x4:

"Looks like there is enough interest in the center consoles so I am going to put some together in the next week. I will prime them and have them ready for you to paint. They are $50 plus shipping."
75 Swiss 710K
Not so new owner but still a novice
W9YG
DeStoriesair
United States of America

Post by DeStoriesair »

Same here. We will get some going in the next couple weeks and have them available on our website www.swpinz.com. We will let you know when we get some complete :)
Pinzgauer 710M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Originally we were making them and selling them for $50. Cost of material has gone up some and some of the hardware has been updated.
Most of the units that have had issues were with the prime and paint process (not all, but the ones we have seen in person). I know one of the owners had it shipped plain and he had it sprayed with bedliner (had to make it very heavy). We looked into the plastics for building these but the price for that material was excessive. I built the first unit back in '05 and have repainted it once. It is taller then the production ones and is still in great shape.
I know there are some new guys out there that could use consoles so it may be time to get Brad back into the shop and get some more made.
BTW there are some options now. cell phone slots being one of the more popular. I will have to get some fresh photos.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

I am interested esp if there are a few updates
Thx
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

audiocontr wrote:I've had mine for about 6 years now. The east coast humidity, and evening condensation caused drips, which caused swelling. I mounted a rubber mat over the top to prevent further damage. It works fine.

This is where marine lumber comes in nicely. I'd have no fear of rain nor water.

I think I paid $300 back then? I'd expect an up charge for the more expensive materials.
Well hell! Maybe it was $50. I guess I subconsciously value it at $300 :D
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder