New winter rims and tires

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

New winter rims and tires

Post by GadgetPhreak »

I put on a set of studded Cooper Discoverer STT Maxx for the winter in 255/80R17 (same size as my summer tires). I’ll report back on their performance after I get a few snow runs in.

Note: I am running them on TR Beadlock rims and typically air down to 3-5psi in the snow which affects performance levels..

-Ben

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Sonarman
United States of America

Re: New winter rims and tires

Post by Sonarman »

Nice,
Are those rims DOT approved?
GadgetPhreak
United States of America

Post by GadgetPhreak »

Nope.. but I run them anyway ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
King County Search & Rescue | Regional Special Vehicles Unit
1972 710M - Building up for SAR use
Follow my build, learn more, or contact me: http://www.sarpinz.com
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

There actually isn't "DOT approved" wheels - they (DOT) don't inspect, test, approve - they just write standards which give the requirements for wheels. The standards don't specifically object to bead lock wheels - they just don't describe them in the standard, so they can't be listed as meeting the DOT requirements.

There has been a guy on the pirate4x4 site offering a reward for anyone who can show they got a ticket that showed the actual violation for bead lock wheels being illegal - last I heard it was still unclaimed. I am sure people have been sited for very broad violations - such as "unsafe tires" but not bead locks specifically.

The challenge with bead locks is getting a shop to mount them and keeping up on the torquing that is required. I think high quality wheels ( like these trail ready's) have a machined ring that reduces that requirement compared to the flat steel rings which the cheaper DIY bead lock kit ls use which end up with only the rubber under compression which results in loose bolts.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

Really like your TR rims (both sets :mrgreen: ) gadgetphreak, IIRC you have disc brakes therefore use a 5x130 pcd, on a 17" rim. Are these TR rims available in the 5x160 pcd as well? And are the TR's available in 16" as well? (IIRC no 16")
cheers.
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)
Haf-e
United States of America

Post by Haf-e »

Since Trail Ready is located in the town I live in I will post what I know. They are very nice wheels.

Their wheels are available in the 5x160 pattern to bolt onto a standard 710/712 drum brake setup. They are wide - I measured one an it is 9.5 inches from the outside edge on the front to the outside edge on the back - they are listed as being 8.5 inches wide with the way the bead locks work. They are not available in 16 inch - only 17 inch. They can have real beadlock rings or just simulated ones.

The backspacing is deep for this type of wheel - 6 inches - but the wheel is so wide that the outside edge of the rim ends up moving outward about 2.5 inches compared to the stock steel wheels - so they will throw up mud on the sides and onto the rear view mirrors. Some type of extended wheel well is required.

GadgetPhreak's disc brake conversion was an early one-off design which has a wheel pattern of 5x114 (Mercedes ML320 pattern) and required machining of the wheel flanges and the wheel drive castings in addition to custom brackets and different plumbing.

Unfortunately, these Trail Ready wheels are not suitable for the disc brake conversion kits that I am offering as the backspacing is not enough to work with my design - the wheels would be placed even farther outward than they are on the stock drum brakes, which is already at the limit in my opinion.
Last edited by Haf-e on Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haf-e

1971 Pinzgauer 710M

Disc Brake Conversion Kits for 710 and 712 Pinzgauers
www.klugewerks.com
one2many
Australia

Post by one2many »

Thanks Haf-e that answers all my questions....you read my mind
1985 pinzgauer 712K factory 2.7lt civilian (RHD, 4 door K)
1979 Volvo tgb 1314a (under construction to om606 diesel/722.6 trans. Dual cab/tray)