Ohio 712M Buildup

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
tgreening
United States of America

Ohio 712M Buildup

Post by tgreening »

If I'd had any sense at the beginning I would have created one thread and just lumped all the nonsense I've been posting in it, instead of posting willy-nilly. I wonder if there's a way to gather up those posts and relocate them here?

Anyway.... This is my junk that will be/is sucking up my money.

-1 - 1.jpg
-1 - 1.jpg (331 KiB) Viewed 8931 times
New brakes so far (2 of 3 axles but what a difference), a new Screaming Deal of a Tuff River Top ready to install, a new windshield wiper setup on it's way because mine decided on the rainy way to work today to start belching Magic Smoke in a BIG way. Frantic wire yanking ensued, while at speed. :)

I'd like to source some new shocks that are NOT Ranchos, like what's on it now, because it's been my experience that what Ranchos are best at is to immediately begin the conversion to iron oxide upon installation. Doetsch seems to be out based on the info I've gathered from this site. I wondering if there is anything Fox offers that would bit the bill. I liked them on my van.

Figure out a user friendly electrical system to provide power for some low consumption items like GPS, cell phones, i-devices, etc, and a few higher consumption things like Ham gear. There' a 24/12 converter installed already along with a Blue Sea Systems fuse panel but I haven't looked at it close enough to see how it actually functions and how much converted power it can supply.

Figure out a new paint scheme. Right now what you see is a Cement Grey color (I know, it looks tan. It isn't) with black top and accents. My new top is Desert Sand. I'd like to make this color "fit" while doing as little repainting as possible. I don't mind spraying, I just don't want to have to re-do the whole Pinz if possible. It's Raptor Liner btw.

Figure out some sort of simple yet comfortable don't-like-freezing-my-ass-off weekend camping system for me and a dog. I'm wondering if a good way to go is something like an Oz-tent for outside hanging out/cooking, and sleeping arrangements inside the Pinz. Not interested in any rooftop tent setups. Been there/done that and it beats sleeping in a ground tent, but it's a pain in the arse unless what it's mounted to tends to stay put once you arrive somewhere.

This was my last ride and it was the cats posterior for weekend jaunts. Warm, dry, quiet, and STABLE in high winds. Stove, sink, fridge, all the goodies, weighed a metric f**k-ton and took up a cubic ass-load of space. It was cool, just too big for here in the east. It's living the good life out in Colorado now and the new owner is treating it well.

So, that's the near term plan. Thoughts welcome. Ideas welcome, short of drivetrain transplants or total engine rebuilds. Not interested/ready to dive into THAT monetary black hole. :)
Attachments
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1042.jpg (305.97 KiB) Viewed 8931 times
Derrickbwg
United States of America

Re: Ohio 712M Buildup

Post by Derrickbwg »

what is "raptor lined" on the truck?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

Derrickbwg wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:12 am what is "raptor lined" on the truck?

https://www.raptorcoatings.com/us/en/pr ... EnWsC2ZPFA
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Derrickbwg
United States of America

Post by Derrickbwg »

sorry, that was ambiguous.Which areas of the truck was the raptor lining used?

Nice looking Pinz! I like the color combo.

1975 710K
1974 710M
2018 G63
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

Derrickbwg wrote: Thu Jan 24, 2019 9:12 am what is "raptor lined" on the truck?

Everything except the roof and the front bumper.
Banshee35
United States of America

Post by Banshee35 »

For low power stuff that runs off USB get yourself one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZ ... UTF8&psc=1
On the left side of the dash just to the left of the instrument panel is a small socket it will plug right into. There is a pull switch above it to turn it on and will allow you to run 2 USB devices from it. If you need more they also make ones with cigarette lighter sockets as well as USB.

I picked up one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07921XZ ... b_pd_title
To mount my cell phone on the window. I run the Waze ap that gives me GPS and also has a built in speedometer in MPH.

To increase your comfort when camping in the cold consider one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G ... UTF8&psc=1
It's indoor safe, runs off a small propane bottle and they say it will heat up to 250 square feet.

I also picked up one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078S ... UTF8&psc=1
Since there is no interior light I got one of these. I put it on the front roll bar loop and sticks with the built in magnet. It pops right off so you can use it outside of the truck if need be, LED so will have good battery life and swivels to point where you need it.

As for camping, my plan is to use an air mattress in the back of the truck and they say a queen size fits perfectly with the seats folded down. Another option would be to build you an expedition trailer with a rooftop mounted tent on it. When you get where you want to camp you unhook the trailer and set up camp but can still use the truck to go adventuring or whatever.
Garage:
1971 Pinzgauer 710M
1969 M151
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

Banshee35 wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 9:02 pm For low power stuff that runs off USB get yourself one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07JZ ... UTF8&psc=1
On the left side of the dash just to the left of the instrument panel is a small socket it will plug right into. There is a pull switch above it to turn it on and will allow you to run 2 USB devices from it. If you need more they also make ones with cigarette lighter sockets as well as USB.

I picked up one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07921XZ ... b_pd_title
To mount my cell phone on the window. I run the Waze ap that gives me GPS and also has a built in speedometer in MPH.

To increase your comfort when camping in the cold consider one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002G ... UTF8&psc=1
It's indoor safe, runs off a small propane bottle and they say it will heat up to 250 square feet.

I also picked up one of these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078S ... UTF8&psc=1
Since there is no interior light I got one of these. I put it on the front roll bar loop and sticks with the built in magnet. It pops right off so you can use it outside of the truck if need be, LED so will have good battery life and swivels to point where you need it.

As for camping, my plan is to use an air mattress in the back of the truck and they say a queen size fits perfectly with the seats folded down. Another option would be to build you an expedition trailer with a rooftop mounted tent on it. When you get where you want to camp you unhook the trailer and set up camp but can still use the truck to go adventuring or whatever.

I totally forgot about that socket, and that link leads to some interesting options. I've got a cell holder very similar to the one you posted, but I'm thinking of going the RAM mount direction for something like an iPad mounted to the grab bar on the passenger side. My ultimate goal is some sort of overhead console usable with both my soft and yet-to-be-built hard top. Good place for a ham radio and small CB. Saving that for warmer weather. :)

Right now I'm using one of those heaters up front, but I've got a diesel fired replacement ready to go in, ironically also waiting on warmer weather, hehe. I had thought about buying another diesel fired to mount in the rear but I'm starting to wonder if I might be better served by just mounting the Big Buddy version back there and feeding it from a small bulk propane tank instead. I used that system in the back of my Ambo conversion and it would bake you out in short order, but I'm not sure which system would better keep up with cold weather combined with the soft top, even though its "insulated".

I've got one of those queen sized inflatables and they actually work pretty good, but I haven't tested it for fit in the Pinz. I'm not sure how I want to go for a "base camp". I've had the trailer/tent combo and ended up selling both when I had the Ambo because I liked sleeping in it way better than any tent, roof top or otherwise. And if I can get away with no trailer I'm good with that as well since the Pinz isn't exactly swimming in excess power. Considering something like an Oztent setup as a cooking/hanging out platform, while sleeping in the Pinz, but still totally up in the air at this point.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

Single high queen blowup are great and fit perfectly.
Can also buy a sleep hammock and be super comfortable pretty much anywhere with 1 min setup
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
Banshee35
United States of America

Post by Banshee35 »

tgreening:

Do you have the heater mounted in any way? I was thinking of making a mount to mount it on the cab divider screen. Do you have any issue with it shutting itself off from tripping the "tip over" safety?

TechMOGogy:

A hammock while comfortable and easy for one gets more complicated when my 5 and 9 year old want to come along. ://
Garage:
1971 Pinzgauer 710M
1969 M151
2016 Alfa Romeo 4C
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

TechMOGogy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:27 pm Single high queen blowup are great and fit perfectly.
Can also buy a sleep hammock and be super comfortable pretty much anywhere with 1 min setup

Got the hammock(s) as well, and a portable hammock stand I built, so I’m covered there!
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

Banshee35 wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:59 pm tgreening:

Do you have the heater mounted in any way? I was thinking of making a mount to mount it on the cab divider screen. Do you have any issue with it shutting itself off from tripping the "tip over" safety?

TechMOGogy:

A hammock while comfortable and easy for one gets more complicated when my 5 and 9 year old want to come along. ://

Right now the heater rests on the engine cover, but is secured to the divider screen in a half-assed manner. It was supposed to be a temp fix for not freezing my ass off. :). Yes, that safety is a problem. Sometimes it kicks out when just hitting a bump (or pothole), sometimes it’ll kick out when taking a hard corner, and sometimes it kicks out if I accelerate too hard out of first and into second. These really are best when stationary I think.

I may have just talked myself out of using one in the rear. The diesel heaters aren’t that expensive so I should probably go that route. I thought about boxing in that “shelf” that’s right behind the seats, and making a compartment just for the rear heater, with the rest of that space as just general storage. Right now it’s more or less wasted space.
TechMOGogy
Canada

Post by TechMOGogy »

tgreening wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:20 am
TechMOGogy wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 8:27 pm Single high queen blowup are great and fit perfectly.

Got the hammock(s) as well, and a portable hammock stand I built, so I’m covered there!
I have an Amok XL headed my way shortly :)
72 Pathfinder | 75 710M 2.7i | 96 350GDT Worker
tgreening
United States of America

Post by tgreening »

TechMOGogy wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:22 pm
tgreening wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:20 am

I have an Amok XL headed my way shortly :)

I have a couple of Clark Jungle/NX-270 hammocks. A bit heavier and bulkier than what the hiking crowd likes to hump, but I like the completeness of the system, and I'm not humping it around anyway.
Pols497
United States of America

Post by Pols497 »

You can remove the tip sensor on the underneath side of the little buddy propane heater
Roger Melton
Pols497
United States of America

Post by Pols497 »

You can remove the tip sensor on the underneath side of the little buddy propane heater
Roger Melton