After market seats - what did you use?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
texas pinzgauer

After market seats - what did you use?

Post by texas pinzgauer »

From previous posts, it sounds like using stock seat frames with any number of possible aftermarket seats allows for high back and more supportive seats up front. I know that overall height is an issue particularly for taller Pinz drivers.

So here's my question - what seats did you use when you went with aftermarket seats? I've heard that Honda CRX seats work well but there must be others that also work. Who has experimented with what seats?

I've now got an extra set of seats/frames so I'm ready to go to an auto recycling yard to look for my best option for this project.

Your suggestions and recommendations would be appreciated.
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I did use the aforementioned CRX seats, and am not overly enthused by them. The side bolsters break down very rapidly, since you sort of slide out over them exiting, unlike in the CRX where you're basically standing up as you get out. Also, there is a horizontal frame member midway up the back, which has caused me some discomfort during extreme maneuvering offroad. If you push too hard into the seat, you hit the thing.

I did not use the original seat bases, but rather welded up new ones to keep the height as low as possible. This did not allow for the sliders. :cry: On the other hand, there isn't much room to slide to and fro anyway...

Paul
texas pinzgauer

This is good, this is good. So one no vote for the CRX seats! That's what I'm looking for guys.

Keep the comments and first hand recollections coming!
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

OhioPinz

Post by OhioPinz »

I bought a brand new pair of current HMMWV seats at a vehicle meet for $40.00, still in the plastic. I mounted them using the stock Pinz seat mounts and they work great. They are low, have Cordura covers, and really comfortable.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have done 8 sets of aftermarket seats for people. By far the best seats have come out of Honda car products. I personally have the CRX seats in my 710 and prelude seats in my 712. Geo seats also work although not as low a profile as Honda. About half of the sets I have done were on stock frames. The stock frames take seats that have a low dish in the seat area so they will fit as low as possible. In all cases the sliders were removed to facilitate height requirements (most owners over 6ft). Around here the CRX seats are so torn up or non existent that the prelude seats make a better choice. It also seems the preludes were better taken care of, either garage kept and not teenaged boys. In all cases the seats were fitted to the owner and he usually is the only driver so adjustment is not necessary. The built brackets I have made can be adjusted by putting the hold down screw into one of three holes, only drilled upon request. I am fond of telling people who want adjustable seats to buy their own pinz.
Douwe

Post by Douwe »

I used Saturn seats in the front, don't remember model number. I made a custom frame for them. They sit nice and low.

I have Dodge Neon seats in the back now where width isn't quite as crucial.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

some of the European folks have used the Smart car seats. I don't think the wife would let me take her seats out and try them in my pinz, so I will have to take their word that they fit.
Thomas-E

Seats

Post by Thomas-E »

Several years ago my wife and I walked down the rows at a PicknPull auto wrecking yard. We were looking for seats that were 19" wide or less (you need that to fit the passenger side).

We found Kia seats, don't remember the model or year but it was a small sedan.

I was able to keep the slider and tilt-back mechanism by cutting the frame and mating it to a three point mount to fit the pinz factory mounts. This method worked quite well except that it did add about 1" inch in seat height.

This worked out for both of us since we are both under 5'9"... I did make a raised foot rest for my wife on the passenger side.

Total cost $100 for seats, $40 for steel angle and square tubing, about 2 hours searching, and wire for the mig machine.

Looks good, comfortable, and gives us head support - might just help in a rear-ender and the buckets should help keep us secured better.

Tom
712 Camper
(only 25% left to finish! ) :D
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
JC

Post by JC »

I have used geo metro seats. I harvested them at a pick and pull. They work great. I did not use the stock seat mounts I made my own. They are almost a half an inch shorter that way. and now both seats slide back and forth and can recline.
Keep Smiling :-)
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I've found brand new Freightliner "Sprinter" seats on e-bay from customization shops. They are 19.5" wide, 31-33" high and 20" deep. Seat cushion is about 3-3.5" thick. They are replaced because those stock seats don't recline more than 18 degrees and are too narrow for the long haul big rigs.
They should fit our purposes.

Usually they don't come with a slider-but most will build their own frame to use the stock sliders and save height.

These are new color matched seats- just got mine for $55.00/pair with $25 shipping. I've seen them run from $55/pair to $245/pair. Every few months a shop will get a slew of them and put them up cheap.

If we can make a frame to fit, I'll post pictures!
Ed
captxmas

Alternate seats

Post by captxmas »

I'm tall so any retrofit seat had to accomodate hieght.

I used the front seats from an accura integra ( Honda) and cut off the bottom track assemble and mounting brackets to reduce hieght. Then mounted seat to flat metal plates and notched them to fit the three mounting points for the original seats. (wing nuts in the rear) and nut and bolt assemply in the fronts. Bolts have been fitted with plastic "wing knobs" so they can be tightened by hand.

Works great, they come in and out as easily as originals.

Oh I painted the underside of the metal plates Flourescent Orange just in case or a roadside breakdown requiring the removed seast to be used as a warning device. Placed on the roadway it is highly visable and at night catches headlights well.

Hope this helps.
Capt Xmas
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Multi task seat... great idea!!
HOOPS PINZ

Post by HOOPS PINZ »

I used a set of Land Rover Defender seats bought new from one of the Land Rover shows here in the UK.

They recline so you can get to the behind the seat. Also the base of the seat just pulls out.

I did have to make new seat frames to fit them to the Pinz but I used 4 sections of angle iron welded into a square and bolted the seats to that.

Seats are cloth with leather sides
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have Eagle Talon seats in my 712W; they took some fanagling to make them work, but they are pretty comfortable for my 5'10" height.

But in our 710M we have (I think) Toyota Supra leather, high backed seats. They mounted much easier (using the stock frame base) and are VERY comfortable. But they are almost too tall, and just barely fit through the door opening easily. If I have to replace them I will certainly look for the same seats again.

Jim M.
texas pinzgauer

It sounds like my best best is to head to the parts yard with a masuring tape and the Pinz and eyeball them before I pull the trigger on the purchase. Looks like I have more options beside just the "painful" CRX model!

Many thanks for the ideas and suggestions guys. Keep them coming if you came up with an option not already offered up.

David
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold