Aftermarket Seats, Part Deux

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
pcolette
United States of America

Aftermarket Seats, Part Deux

Post by pcolette »

I recently came across some seats on ebay that looked like a possibility for the Pinz. I've mounted a set and they fit, feel and look great (well, to me anyway).

The seats were made by Seats, Inc. of Reedsburg, WI for a government military contract that apparently "went South". The contractor was liquidating them to try and re-coup some money. They had been sitting in storage a while so smelled a bit musty when first unboxed but a liberal dose of Fabreze took care of it.

They are covered in black TuffTex cloth which is sort of a nubby heavy-duty burlap-like fabric. There is an adjustment knob on the left side that allows the seat to recline about 15-20 deg and can be adjusted forward enough to reach the wing nut for seat removal. On the right side is a lumbar adjustment lever with 3 positions (off/medium/firm).

They came with fore-aft seat adjusters which I removed. I then welded 2 steel crossbars to the top of each original Pinz seat frame and drilled holes to match up with the new seats mounting holes. The driver's seat is centered left/right on the frame but the passenger seat had to be mounted slightly away from the engine cover for clearance.

Photos are here:

http://s159.photobucket.com/albums/t142 ... =slideshow

I'd be happy to answer any questions either here or pm me. And yes, I did get extra seats if anyone is interested.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I've seen Paul's seats. They're very nice.
Paul U
randwolfe

Post by randwolfe »

Paul,
I am interested in discussing spare seats. PM sent.
Randy Shelaga
1982 712 AMB-S (almost)

Don't Steyr, it's a Pinzgauer!
chacaocop1

Post by chacaocop1 »

How much money are we taking about per pair of seats?
CHACAOCOP
1973 712M
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

How bout showing some pics of the pinz? Looking good from what litle bit you've shared so far.
pcolette
United States of America

Pinz pics

Post by pcolette »

More pics will come as soon as it warms up enough around here and I can get it outside. The shop is too tight to get any good photos.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

CHACAOCOP,

pm sent.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Winter Beater

seats

Post by Winter Beater »

Paul, I'm starting to snoop around for the next Pinz project and seats are on the list. What model are you offering and what is the cost?
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

They are made by Seats, Inc. and are from their Trimline seats. They have some of the optional features included like Tuff-Tex cloth instead of vinyl, infinite backrest adjustment and 2-way adjustment for lumbar. They also have the headrests.

http://www.seatsinc.com/ngp/!slmenu_tem ... 1.8553.cat

They fit very well as far as width and height but the seat bottoms are higher than stock by 1-1.5 inches. How you decide to mount them would have an effect on this. I plan to experiment with just using the bottom pan of the original driver's side seat mount to possibly lower the seat by .75" or so.

I do have a couple of extra sets. pm me with your zip code and I'll get you a price.

Paul
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
Winter Beater

Re: Aftermarket Seats, Part Deux

Post by Winter Beater »

It's been a few weeks since the install and we had -20F here; these are much warmer than stock ... mmmmm :lol:

They have been fitted with a 10ga plate and I can use the fore - aft slider just fine. Could use a few inches on my legs, but with a headset on I don't hit the roof. Passenger seat is a little tight and I may need to angle it slightly inward, but overall a good ride. Thanks Paul!.
pcolette
United States of America

Post by pcolette »

We also had some serious below 0 weather and I appreciated the extra foam and cloth too. :)

Glad you like the seats! When you have a chance please post some photos of how you mounted them. I'd be interested to see a different method.
Paul C.
_________
'73 Swiss 710M
'89 Puch 230GE
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I mounted Honda seats in mine. A bit taller (1 '') and much softer on my bottom.
On .125 inch plate with cut outs for fore and aft movement and the seat back
tilts. The color is sort of dark blue. Passenger seat is a bit tight in the spot. Had
to remove the plastic cover on the side. I did keep the old seats.

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... C00017.jpg

...look at the two before and the two after.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford