GPS

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

GPS

Post by yaknowthatguy »

Hey gang -

I'm planning some projects for my pinz, and one of them is a GPS. With so many on the market, and my relatively limited knowledge of products (I can use one...but selecting them is different), I need a little help.

Ideally I'd like something with a fairly good sized display - I like some of the fishfinder types, but I dont know if they can be adapted well. Topo maps (via SD card or similar) are critical. 12v (or 24v...unlikely I bet) also a must. and a way to dim the display. Vehicle mounted please, I dont need a portable - am primarily looking for something easy to read while in use.

If anyone has suggestions, I'm all ears. Thanks a bunch!
712 amb. under construction.
Kirby

Post by Kirby »

If I were to get one - it would be portable for sure. If you are out in the middle of no where and have problems that require a walk back out - you are better off using it to help navigate your way out.

It also allows you to "play with it" without having to sit in the vehicle, giving you the ability to get more familiar with it.
Pinzing is AWESOME.
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

I already have a portable, so the walk back out isn't the issue. What I'm looking for is a big screen for good visibility during use. The eTrex screen is a little small for looking at overland.
kpoling
United States of America

Post by kpoling »

I bought a Garmin Nuvi 5000 last August just as they were obsoleting them. It has a 5" diagonal screen, works great. I bought a Ram mount & use it on my motorcycle & int he Pinz. It is not waterproof nor does it have an internal battery. It does accept CD cards & allows you to play tunes or books from the unit. It was $189 last year for the base unit. It was the biggest screen I could fit on my bike & still see my dash board :shock:

Regards, Kevin
Regards, Kevin

'73 710K sold 01/22/2016
krick3tt

GPS

Post by krick3tt »

I have a Garmin Nuvi, it has the ability to put in coordinates and it gets me there. I've had it for three years, no problems except if two streets are parallel and close (like a frontage road) sometimes it has issues discerning which I am on. The map updates are free off the net. I think it was about $189 USD. It has a hole on the side for a chip of some sort, but I'm not that sophisticated.
My friend has one that talks to him and gives the streets verbally, mine just shows the names up on the screen. It does have the smarts to have the screen darken at night, great feature. It just knows.
I have used on forest service roads in WA and CO, so it does well in the trees and canyons.
Screen size is 4.5 inches diag. and in a pinch it can be portable. Have used it while walking in the city to find something.

As you say, there are so many to choose from.

Morris
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I use a Garmin 176c in all my trucks. In the pinz the mounts are above the windshield wiper motor. Many of the GPS units that are marine/aviation rated will plug directly into 8 to 32 volt systems as is the case with the 176 series. They are portable with AA batteries but a bit bulky. I have external antennas mounted for better reception when in heavy cover or bad weather.
Heed

Post by Heed »

I'll echo what 4x4 Pinz says...

I have the Garmin 276c and it has been a great unit. The 24 volt works great, and it is downloadable/programmable through my laptop.

Nicely sized screen for driving.
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
Thomas-E

GPS?

Post by Thomas-E »

I used a Garmin iQue for a while, but too small for real work.

I now have a Panasonic Toughbook and a Garmin "18" USB Gps with "nRoute" laptop software. This works really well on my windows 2000 system.

It came with City navigator but you could add topo maps also.

There many USB gps receivers out there at reasonable prices and other software.

You can check out my setup on the Yahoo Pinzgauer Group site,
under;
Photos
Mapping Options (GPS and Laptop Maps)

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzgauer ... 1/pic/list

I use a docking station mounted on a swivel/tilt mount.
My Wife / navigator can setup a route or waypoint and rotate the screen so that I can easily see it.

I would suggest a used laptop, perhaps a netbook if you can run windows xp software on it. This way you would have dual purpose functions.
GPS mapping and realtime internet (think google earth) !

i've got about $800 total in my system, including ex-military Toughbook sold surplus (oh, and yes this models' been proven bullet-proof for 7.62mm rounds!!), docking station, Mapping software and GPS. 8)
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Post by yaknowthatguy »

This is good info guys, thanks a ton. With so many GPS units on the market, I was really having trouble sifting through them.

I started looking at a Lowrance HDS-5 Baja....if I could find a refurb one of those I might pick it up. But the Garmin 276 is also looking good (though the garmin site says it's been discontinued).... I'm closer to an answer with all your help!

This is just the info I was hoping for - much appreciated!
Kaweeka

Docking Station

Post by Kaweeka »

I use a docking station mounted on a swivel/tilt mount.
My Wife / navigator can setup a route or waypoint and rotate the screen so that I can easily see it.
That's a nice mount for the Toughbook - is it something you made or was it bought and modified for the Pinz? Is it just attached to the grab bar or is there another support behind the laptop?

Thanks - David
Stuck in the bureaucratic spin cycle!
Thomas-E

Toughbook Mount

Post by Thomas-E »

The toughbook mount is a surplus desk swing arm mount for an OLD monitor (glass tube style).

It came with a clamp to attach it to a desktop and the swing arm had a pan and tilt assembly (ball type) for the monitor base.

I cut the arm to about 7 inches from the center of the pan/tilt part, ground the arm to fit the sissy bar..oops, Grab Bar and cut some chrome-moly tubing in half length-wise welding it to reinforce the end where the arm fit the grab bar . Set it over the holes for the rifle mounts, marked the holes, drilled them and bolted it to the grab bar.

The platform for the monitor base was cut down to size for the docking station and I mounted the docking station to it.

So... the arm is fixed to the grab bar and all movement is at the end with the swivel/tilt platform. You can see the arm mounted to the grab bar at this link;

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/pinzgauer ... =1&dir=asc

The swivel/tilt part has adjustable friction so it stays where you move it.

Cost was $5 or $6 from a surplus site about 3 years ago.

Hope this makes sense :?
Thomas E.
Sonora, CA
712 Camper
[img][url]M:\avatar\DSCN0010%20(Custom).JPG[/url][/img]
westernair
United States of America

Re: GPS

Post by westernair »

Anyone have a new setup they want to share with the group? Being almost 9 months since this thread was posted to last, just checking to see if their is anything new. I was looking at a referbed Megellan Explorist 710 today as a hand held I could "dock" in the Pinz. Looks like a nice unit with voice directions for when driving. I backpack about 12 times a year and figure a portable unit is something I should upgrade to from just using my tried and true map and compass. I also like the fact that this one is water proof and has a basic point and shoot camera. I ruined a point and shoot camera last summer on a Kayak trip when the zip lock bag did not completly seal.
Anyway I am interested in hearing from others.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold
Jim LaGuardia
United States of America

Post by Jim LaGuardia »

I have the Garmin 176C, others on the group have the 276C. One of the nice things is when it is powered from the truck, you can display vehicle system voltage.
Cheers, Jim LaGuardia
http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v510/Goatwerks/
"Arch Magus of Machines."
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Some of the Garmin models can be powered with up to 32 Vdc so they can be powered directly by the Pinz electrical system. The "newer" models (276C and later) have much more sensitive receivers when using the little stick antennas; external amplified antennas work best for the older models.
Jim M.
712W and 710M
westernair
United States of America

Post by westernair »

Jim LaGuardia wrote:I have the Garmin 176C, others on the group have the 276C. One of the nice things is when it is powered from the truck, you can display vehicle system voltage.
The x76C series are sweet units, but wont work for a hiking unit. if I could afford to purchase both a car unit and moble unit, these would be definatly be on my list.
Shawn

62 haffy Bantam
61 haffy 4 door

72 710K - Sold
73 712M - Sold