Snorkel - pre-cleaner or ram?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Mr Zero
United States of America

Snorkel - pre-cleaner or ram?

Post by Mr Zero »

I'm currently plotting a DIY snorkel for the Pinz. The intention is to feed the engine somewhat cleaner/cooler air while crawling around off-road during scalding southern Nevada summers. I would like to take advantage of a pre-cleaning bowl, but am uncertain if it would provide enough airflow. Considering the air intake requirements of the Pinz does anyone here know if a pre-cleaner bowl would provide adequate respiration or would it be better to force greater airflow with a ram-type intake?
Byron

Post by Byron »

not sure, but I have been thinking of building a snorkel and adding an inline blower. The ones designed for inboard boat motors would be perfect and they come in 24v.
Byron Smith
1975 Pinzgauer 710k
Previous truck was a 1970 Unimog 404
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I'm not sure about the pre-cleaner aspects, but FWIW I installed one of the snorkel kits from Gut Automobil in Switzerland. It seemed to have an original part number and was called an Iceland kit. To install it, the original aircleaner is turned so the intake faces rear, the warm air flap is removed, a hole is drilled through the firewall to the rear, then it routes to the passenger side, up the wall, and the intake is located through the rollbar by the passenger's head. It came with basic flex hose, but I used 3" ABS for the plumbing. Basically I paid the cost for the intake piece, louvered cover and the special fitting that goes through the firewall. Some Florida guys are running this layout too. There's no ram air help from this layout though. Maybe the design that goes out through the nose would help with the ram air aspect. The snorkel does seem to help with the dust though as the aircleaner is usually pretty clean now and the bowl doesn't have nearly as much debris as before.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I can see the advantage of a higher, less dusty, air intake. But ram air, while "crawling around off-road"... :?: :?: How fast are you moving?
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

Byron wrote:not sure, but I have been thinking of building a snorkel and adding an inline blower. The ones designed for inboard boat motors would be perfect and they come in 24v.
Good suggestion. I'll look into that further.

McCall Pinz wrote:I'm not sure about the pre-cleaner aspects, but FWIW I installed one of the snorkel kits from Gut Automobil in Switzerland. It seemed to have an original part number and was called an Iceland kit. To install it, the original aircleaner is turned so the intake faces rear, the warm air flap is removed, a hole is drilled through the firewall to the rear, then it routes to the passenger side, up the wall, and the intake is located through the rollbar by the passenger's head. It came with basic flex hose, but I used 3" ABS for the plumbing. Basically I paid the cost for the intake piece, louvered cover and the special fitting that goes through the firewall. Some Florida guys are running this layout too. There's no ram air help from this layout though. Maybe the design that goes out through the nose would help with the ram air aspect. The snorkel does seem to help with the dust though as the aircleaner is usually pretty clean now and the bowl doesn't have nearly as much debris as before.
All really good info, especially the bit about removing the warm air flap. I'd been wondering if I could get away with removing it considering that it in the locked-open position here most of the time anyway due to the high temps. I'm planning on going out through the nose, but would like to use a pre-cleaner bowl if possible due to the fact that it's so dry and dusty here. Maybe Byron's inline blower suggestion combined with the pre-cleaner bowl would do the trick.

Any other thoughts?
GenevaPinz
Switzerland

Post by GenevaPinz »

Mr Zero wrote:Any other thoughts?
Some time ago I enquired about Snorkels on this forum... and this has ended on no. 198473004 of my priorities since then... :oops:

Anyway, my intention was (and still is) to have a "temporary" setup for river crossings, using a mix of screws at the top of the windshield frame (there are existing holes), and magnets to hold the pipes and create something as shown here... (pic from the german forum and no, I won't paint my truck like this :lol: ):
...with a connection into the existing air intake (while removing the hot air flap as well).
I would not think an in-line blower is really necessary... I mean, my mechanically-challenged thought was that the pistons create enough vacuum to pull air through the filter and an extra few feet of pipes should not hurt too much.
BTW, I found a pre-cleaner on www.okoffroad.com, but I wonder if 2" intake and pipes are wide enough. I would think so as the stock intake is about this size.

Interesting thread in any case :wink:
Jan

'72 Pinzgauer 710M
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

Personally, I like the idea of something temporary and passing out through the standard opening in the grille. It really pained me to cut holes in the Pinz. :(
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

GenevaPinz wrote:..., but I wonder if 2" intake and pipes are wide enough. I would think so as the stock intake is about this size.
I'm wondering about this also. Most of the 7" pre-cleaners I've come by have a 2.25 inch I.D. while the air intake on the Pinz has a 3 inch diameter. I really don't know if the difference in diameter is enough to cause some air restriction.
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

GenevaPinz wrote:..., but I wonder if 2" intake and pipes are wide enough. I would think so as the stock intake is about this size.
Ok, I just found a Donaldson pre-cleaner which measures 7.25"OD x 3.0"ID on eBay if anyone here is interested. I grabbed one for myself :twisted:, but there's still one listed for the moment:

Donaldson Air Intake 75mm 3.00in
http://j.mp/8X7WvG
Profpinz
Australia

Post by Profpinz »

I used to have a SDP factory fitted pre-cleaner (Donaldson type) on my Pinny but I drowned the vehicle a few times while the unit was fitted when I "nose dived" the vehicle into the bogholes

....so I opted to build a 716/718 style snorkel which has proved very successful.
http://members.westnet.com.au/profpinz/ ... norkel.htm
Peter

1974, 712 6X6 Pinzgauer
1983, 710-1.6 4X4 Pinzgauer
1997, 718 6X6 Pinzgauer (in pieces)
1971, 700 Haflinger
1974, 703 LWB Haflinger
2001, Range Rover

http://www.ozpinz.com
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

Profpinz wrote:....so I opted to build a 716/718 style snorkel which has proved very successful.
http://members.westnet.com.au/profpinz/ ... norkel.htm
The 716/718 design is something I'll have to consider. I can see repurposing the passenger-side antenna port to an air-intake. However, there would still need to be some modification to the engine cover or the cab wall. Hmmm...
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

FYI, I found some other precleaners, and a nifty cfm calculator.

http://www.centriprecleaner.com/specs.html

http://www.centriprecleaner.com/themes/ ... ulator.htm

Using 152.5 c.i.d., and 4500 rpm, and guessing at .65 efficiency based on their chart, I got just under 130 cfm. (Anybody have an idea if this is accurate?)

According to the Centri chart, as small as a 2.5" dia cleaner would still suffice for this cfm. But I assume you have to consider the tube and bends as well.
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I have the factory 716 snorkel some body work has to be done for it to fit and look nice I can post pics if you would like. One think is that it was pricey as I think I paid $160.00 ?
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

Erik712m wrote:I have the factory 716 snorkel some body work has to be done for it to fit and look nice I can post pics if you would like. One think is that it was pricey as I think I paid $160.00 ?
Yes, some pics would be great. Thanks.