LED brakelight

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

At least it answers the question I get all the time.
Don't count on it! Never underestimate stupidity...

I actually allowed for the option when I wired these lights to be able to strobe the two rows of white LEDS (the back up lights) independently, so I could do a quck 4 or 5 flash strobe on the left and then the same on the right, like strobes on emergency vehicles -- for when conditions require more warning lights. The backup LEDs are a narrow focus beam, not very wide but very bright directly behind. The red LEDs are much wider beam spread.

When I was rescuing a snowbound motorist in the Midwest winters years ago, the state trooper commented "you don't have enough lights (meaning emergency beacons). At the time I was off the highway so he didn't care much, I think he was just enjoying watching the 712W pull a beamer through 3 feet of snow in the ditch! So now I also have a full size, amber rotaing beacon on the roof, too.

Jim
krick3tt

LED taillights

Post by krick3tt »

Didn't know that about the strobe. I drive with them on when going uphill just like the 'big' trucks to signal that I am going slower than regular traffic.
Thought about a strobe but the flasher thing has always worked so far. Seems to be recognized as a way to let folks know it is a slower vehicle. Usually use them when I am below 30 MPH.

When I was in Europe many used the flashers when backing as older vehicles do not have backup lights.

edit: I don't consider the people with questions about the pinz stupid, it is always good to educate the masses. The ones that try to convince me that I don't know stuff about my vehicle are aspiring to stupid. Them I just let pass me by with a smile.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

Jon,
By way of answering whether a flashing strobe is legal or not. I can't say about all states, but I've driven from Wis. to Colo. and back again, using the strobe, and never gotten a second glance from a cop, at least that I was aware of.

In addition, I gave Jerry (Jerbearyukon) my strobe when he was here buying his Pinz, to use on his drive back up to the Yukon. On the way, he went past Denver to stop at Dennis' shop. Coincidentally, about a week earlier, someone had stolen a truck from CWR. It was about 3am when he got a visit from the Denver police, as he was pulling into an all-nite diner. They had lots of questions, and basically suspected him of the robbery. He pointed out that, if he had stolen the truck, he would not likely be driving it around with a flashing strobe light on it. They agreed and left. I'd have to guess that if it were illegal, they would have commented.

Paul
Jon_Gilbart

Post by Jon_Gilbart »

undysworld wrote:Jon,
By way of answering whether a flashing strobe is legal or not. I can't say about all states, but I've driven from Wis. to Colo. and back again, using the strobe, and never gotten a second glance from a cop, at least that I was aware of.

In addition, I gave Jerry (Jerbearyukon) my strobe when he was here buying his Pinz, to use on his drive back up to the Yukon. On the way, he went past Denver to stop at Dennis' shop. Coincidentally, about a week earlier, someone had stolen a truck from CWR. It was about 3am when he got a visit from the Denver police, as he was pulling into an all-nite diner. They had lots of questions, and basically suspected him of the robbery. He pointed out that, if he had stolen the truck, he would not likely be driving it around with a flashing strobe light on it. They agreed and left. I'd have to guess that if it were illegal, they would have commented.

Paul
Good to know... I just ordered the diesel taillight conversion w/ backup lights from Expedition Imports b/c I was concerned about visibility. I'm going to see how they look at night. If they don't light up the rear of the Pinz, then I think I will go w/ a strobe or one of those amber spinning lights myself. Now that my Pinz is flat black in color, you really can't see it at all at night! At least the hole in the exhaust system lets people know I'm there! -Jon
ScottishPinz
Great Britain

Post by ScottishPinz »

Not lights... but I have magnetic high viz reflective strips that I can put on the back of my truck if I feel there's a need, means they can come off too for military shows or just when wanting a low profile :)

Another thought would be a high viz spare wheel cover.
Bruce Berger

Post by Bruce Berger »

My 710M has turbo diesel tail lights. I recently installed these for the amber turn signals and red for the brake lights in the rear fog light location -

http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-bin/ ... htm#photos

They are very bright and allows me to use both the standard brake light position and the fog tail light for brakes. When I tried regular bulbs in both locations the breaker would trip if I was stopped with my foot on the brake for more than 30 seconds. Also, I think the instant on brightness of led lights attracts more attention than standard bulbs.
Bruce Berger
'72 Pinzgauer 710M 2.6i
mit Beck-LaGuardia Elektronischer Einspritzung
blackstack
United States of America

Tail and brake light wiring

Post by blackstack »

I bought lights from buytruckstuff.com

I am trying to figure out the best way to tap in to the existing wiring . I would like to do it at the connection bar but a little hesitant to disturb.

Anyone? how and where did you tap the appropriate wires?
krick3tt

LED taillights

Post by krick3tt »

Blackstack,
I went through the grommet on the back of the existing tail lights and connected to the appropriate screw connector.
Interesting trying to get three extra wires in there but with persistence and an awl to widen the hole, it worked.
This is only appropriate if you are keeping the existing lights otherwise you will be stringing new wires...keep in mind that LED lights do not draw enough current to let the flasher work. That is why I kept the original pinz lights.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
blackstack
United States of America

wiring new lights

Post by blackstack »

Try that next....I was going to do it that way but i cant get the light apart..a real piss off as one of the bulbs is burned out.

My Led lights have three sockets in the wiring pigtail. Grnd, tail light , and stop and turn in one socket. If I wire it that way wont the turn signal flashing be cancelled when i put on the brakes?

Any ideas on freeing up the lens so i can change bulbs?
krick3tt

LED taillights

Post by krick3tt »

If they are not operating and they are new...take or send them back. Led lights should last longer than you.
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I pulled new wires from the junction box and removed all the old wires to the tail lights and the trailer plug.

If you can not get into the old lights and want to keep them you may try going into the trailer plug wires and tap those wires and eliminate the plug all together. Not sure if that will work but that would be my next idea.

Scooter
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

Hey krick3tt !!

My lights are the ones that say "not for this model" in the parts catalogue. (Group 9 80 parts 1-5)

I got the lenses off ...the gasket was really stuck on tight on both of them.

For some reason the tailight on my right hand light wont light. after Igot the lenses off i tested the bulb and it is ok so I guess when i was fiddling with the wires i dislodged one of them or something. driving me nuts trying to figure it out.

Just me so i have to keep rolling back and forth from under the pinz.

I am going to try your method . Do you have the same pinz lights? what is the "not for this model" business? Monday I am going to call Sarah at SAV to find out if they have the parts for that model.

Why does the simplest job always turn in to a nightmare ?
krick3tt

LED taillights

Post by krick3tt »

I sent you a PM.

My lights look like the ones in group 51, I think the others have a small bulb for black out lights (not sure). My plate lights are not in the taillight but are mounted above the plate, that must be the difference. The 'Not for these models' look like the ones on my Mog.

Morris
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

Why not just buy some magnetic trailer/tow lights (Harbor Freight), change to 24 volt bulbs and stick them on the rear or spare tire or fashon a bracket. Plug them into the trailer light outlet (don't know if it's standard Pinz, mine came with one- I'm told it takes a Land Rover plug).
blackstack
United States of America

Post by blackstack »

I am sure everyone will be pleased that this is my last post re LED lights (I hope)

I was rear-ended coming home from Mogfest. Not wanting it to happen again I thought increasing visibility of my brake lights would be a good idea.

These are the LED lights I bought : http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product.as ... &p_gpID=40

I mounted the lights on the end caps for 4 inch ID black pipe because I wanted the lights to be more or less on the same plane as the existing tailights. Also i have had bad luck with Hole saws running wild.

I drilled a small hole in the backplate of the existing lights and my new lights and passed two wires thru them and then sealed with silicone. I connected the wires to the corresponding posts.

Easy quick job and I think the lights look good and are a lot more visible.

This method of wiring is a lot easier than messing around on your back under the pinz trying to figure which wire is which.

The following link takes you to pics of the end result and also an exciting video of my lights going on and off.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/agingman/s ... 886723729/