Ideas please for winch mounting

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Pinzgauer Pete

Ideas please for winch mounting

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

I am getting close to making the purchase of a 24v winch and have a bumper picked out to replace the bumperettes...my dilemma is that I want to keep the front pintle intact and functional...is there anyone out there that has a winch mounted and managed this...if so please post some pics so I can see how it was done...thanks
life is like a box of chocolates...you never know which one you might get

710M
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I know you want to keep your pintle attachment, but wanted to share this: Andre built my bumper so I could attach my 24 volt winch to the front reciever, or the rear (I usually want to pull my self out of trouble, not further into it!), or most of the time, I leave it off when on the roads. This is my front reciever:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/ti ... directlink

But then I saw this picture, and really like the idea of twin recievers on the front. You could make a platform for the winch which would plug into the two recievers (on either side of the pintle), keep said pintle and have the modularity of a removable winch, just keep the center of the bumper open to retain your pintle:

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/yf ... directlink

(Sorry, I've tried to embed the image in this note, just can't outsmart the system)
Ed
krick3tt

ideas for winch mounting

Post by krick3tt »

I have a set-up that allows my front pin to be used with the new bumper, I'll send you a picture of it tomorrow when I have light to take the photo.

edit: http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... 3362-1.jpg

pin access at bumper: http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... C00270.jpg

http://s400.photobucket.com/albums/pp88 ... C00268.jpg

The bumper is from EI. I had a welder cut a hole and weld in plates to keep the mud out and it gives me access to the pin at the front. I filed off the tab so the pin pulls straight up without having to turn it.
Last edited by krick3tt on Fri Sep 24, 2010 10:06 am, edited 3 times in total.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Ed that second picture of the custom bumper with the two recievers is the BOMB....I would imagine whomever fabricated that bumper is going to want a small fortune to make me one.

710M
Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Krick3tt....I think this bumper would meet my needs exactly with the cutout for the pintle you lose no function...and looks pretty bulletproof..once mounted did the weight of the bumper lower the front much??? also when looking at your rig it looks like you have a solar panel located on the hood is that accurate?? You have an awesome Pinz BTW just as I like it...miltary all the way...except for the cupholders I guess LOL...thanks for the pics :D

710M
Mr Zero
United States of America

Post by Mr Zero »

The Knuckle Down "Nose Ring" might be an option for you. I'm thinking of going this route myself.

http://www.knuckledown.us/productline/index.html

Jason
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

In reality, these quick mounts don't work very well and are usually unsafe. There is just no replacement for a hard mounted winch on the front of any 4x4. I have been in many situations where getting a 100 lb. winch out of the back and trying to mount it would be almost impossible. From burying the front end into a bank of dirt, to having the bumper way up in the air while on a steep hill, to having the whole truck buried in snow, to needing to stay inside and have someone else quickly grab the cable while teetering, to needing to quickly hook up to another 4x4 to save them from rolling down a 200ft cliff, to not being able to practically access the back end where you would store the winch, and the list goes on and on.

I didn't even mention having a 100lb weight in the back that needs to be tied down very securely. In an accident, that winch becomes a 55mph missile that would kill anyone in its way. Also, no matter how big you are, lifting that thing in the awkward ways it takes to remove and mount it, can not be too good for your back.

There is a good reason why I have always hard mounted a winch to my own and customers' trucks. You can say that you only mount it when you go off-roading, but there are plenty of times where you might need it without being able to plan ahead. It is also easier (or just plain easy) to steal it when not hard mounted. (I use lock-tite on the bolts for starters, allens help too, etc)
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

Pinzgauer Pete

Post by Pinzgauer Pete »

Im with you Vince...I thought about a detachable mount such as the nosering but decided against it after reading your post I did however see a pic of a front bumper mount that still was removable after a couple of pins were removed which secured the winch and the plate the winch is mounted to..that seems to be the best of both worlds

710M