24v amplifiers for simpler sound

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
audiocontr
United States of America

24v amplifiers for simpler sound

Post by audiocontr »

I've been searching for a solution to my audio needs in the Pinz. I run a decent party bus when not goofing around off road and try to supply some tunes to the masses. Lately I'vee run a 2 channel 12v amplifier at a 2 ohm load (4 speakers) but this drains quite a bit of amperage.

Instead, Id rather run a more efficient 24v amplifier yet no one makes one outside of China. Then i found the 41hz Basic 9 amp...

http://shop.41hz.com/shop/item.asp?catid=44&itemid=796

The amp is a basic 4 channel amplifier that could run up to 8 speakers from a small footprint. The 24v version should run less than $100 before I get into creative mods (need to create a case and potentiometers to control volume). Power consumption is low, output is decent.

Has anyone ever put one together? Does anyone have recommendations on potentiometers to look at for volume control?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Search the forum I believe Heed post a source for 24 vdc radio am/fm with dvd. audiotech.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

yup, nice suggestion.

In this case Im looking for something small that i can hide out of the way and plug in an iphone as a volume source. Im thinking of mounting that board in a small ammo can with plugs mounted on the exterior. Maybe even a small 24 to 12v <5amp converter to handle powering the iphone
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
McCall Pinz
Switzerland

Post by McCall Pinz »

I'm considering setting up a similar system this winter, but was going to use a 12v marine system with an ipod input. The ipod volume control is supposed to work. If it runs 24v does it therefore use fewer amps? How is yours setup? I was planning on 2 6" coax speakers and an 8" subwoofer or 4 6" coax speakers. I'm limited on space in the wood box that fits at the back of the bulk head
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

The 24v amplifier is slightly more efficient than an equal 12v but that is not taking into account the inefficiency of converting to 12 from 24 ($100-$200 converter). The amp will connect directly to the 24v lead. The amp im looking at is the circuit board only. It needs to get mounted to a heatsink and an ammo can will work great as such.

I found very inexpensive thermal voltage drop down circuits which will work fine for the ipod and any other small 12v items in need. This too will use the ammo box as a heatsink.

The box will have +/- 24v plus ign going in through a weather proof grommit and 4 speaker cables coming out a 2nd. The volume controls, 12v power (cig lighter) and mount for the iphone will be inside the ammo box. Pop the lid, plug in your iphone and hit play. Feel free to close the lid or leave it open to gain access.

Speakers are simply enclosed pioneer 5.25 in their own enclosure mounted high. I'm not running a sub but have always thought about it. If i need more channels, i will install a 2nd circuit board into the box and run 8 channels.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Heed

Post by Heed »

audiocontr:

Any further info on this amp?

I looked at the site, but could only see kits. Do they offer an assembled version?
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Nope, just kits. The BASIC 9 does come assembled as in components on board but you still need a heatsink and connectors. I ordered two and Im waiting on delivery. They will get mounted into a small ammo box.

Total price will wind up being about $300 when finished, 24v, 4x50 watts RMS, 10 amp 12v converter and ipod charger plus gain knobs and wiring. Unit will be water/weather resistant when box is closed.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
Heed

Re: 24v amplifiers for simpler sound

Post by Heed »

Audiocontr:

Any luck on finishing that project??

I'd love to see how you finished that ammo can!
Bob
1990 - Mercedes G-Wagon 250GD

A goal without a plan is just a wish!