seatbelts for rear benches

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
scrambo88

seatbelts for rear benches

Post by scrambo88 »

What would it take to install seat belts in the rear for the bench seats? Would it call for reinforcing the sheet metal? What are your opinions? How much do you think it would cost?
Brian
krick3tt

seat belts

Post by krick3tt »

I would not recommend attaching to sheet metal.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
totaljoint

Post by totaljoint »

I used e-trac. The trac is inexpensive harbor freight) and can be bolted to several vertical supporting posts. Seatbelts with e-trac clips available at Expedition Imports for quite reasonable price.
I also have some cargo clips on mine to secure the motorbike hold-downs as well. E-trac 2x4 clips make for unique cargo/icechest/off road seating options as well.
How secure??, probably as secure as any rear seat belt attachment for a Pinz., and better than the ones that came with it from the factory for back there! :lol:
stevo

Seat belts

Post by stevo »

I also used E-trac, got lap belts from EI (two belts per seat).Works for me.
Cheers, Stevo
No matter where you go, there you are!
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I also used E track but I put 1" square steel tubing behind the E track between the vertical Pinz side ribs to help stiffen the track. I bought aftermarket seatbelts and the E track "D" rings and had a harness maker stitch the belts through the E track connectors from the "D" rings.

The seatbelts come out easily for folding the seats down and the E track works great for tying down cargo when needed.

Do not skimp on the hardware that mounts the E track to the truck, people's lives may depend on the strength of the hardware. I used grade 5 bolts top and bottom of the E track at every vertical rib and put the square tubing behind the rib flanges where possible; with a few other bolts through the tubing between ribs.

JIm M.
712W and 710M
Gear
United States of America

Post by Gear »

Jimm391730 wrote:I also used E track but I put 1" square steel tubing behind the E track between the vertical Pinz side ribs to help stiffen the track. I bought aftermarket seatbelts and the E track "D" rings and had a harness maker stitch the belts through the E track connectors from the "D" rings.

The seatbelts come out easily for folding the seats down and the E track works great for tying down cargo when needed.

Do not skimp on the hardware that mounts the E track to the truck, people's lives may depend on the strength of the hardware. I used grade 5 bolts top and bottom of the E track at every vertical rib and put the square tubing behind the rib flanges where possible; with a few other bolts through the tubing between ribs.

JIm M.
712W and 710M
Hello Jim,
By chance do you have any photographs of your E track installed. I like the idea of the 1" square tubing. Is the E track sold by the foot? I guess I will make a trip over to Harbor Freight tomorrow.

Thanks
Justin Pitcairn

2013 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon w/
Ursa Minor J30 Camper
Instagram @pitcairnoverland
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Gear wrote:Is the E track sold by the foot? I guess I will make a trip over to Harbor Freight tomorrow.

Thanks
5 Ft. Horizontal E-Track Harbor Freight Item # 66726 Manufacturer: Haul-Master

Ed
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Is the E track sold by the foot?
McMaster Carr has 10 foot lengths; I like having one continuous length for ease of installation and the strength. I'll see if I can get some pictures but probably won't be able to until the weekend (too dark when I get home).

Jim M.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I used inexpensive carabiner clips and basic aftermarket seatbelts with a loop at the end ($20 each). The carabiners thread through the holes in the verticle supports of the sheet metal, and the seatbelts to the carabiners
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
Gear
United States of America

Post by Gear »

Thanks to all. I have the seat belts coming from EI and the E track is on the way. Still looking forward to seeing Jim's photographs of the 1" tube attached to the E track.

Thanks again.
Justin Pitcairn

Ursa Minor J30 Camper
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

Here's pics of my E track with the (slightly rusty now) square tubing under the lower edge:

Note that the tubing goes BEHIND the flange of the upright when possible, and is bolted through the upright as well as the E track. I only put the tubing behind the lower edge as any seatbelt force pulls upwards, putting the stress on the bottom edge of the E track. I used nutserts in the tubing and uprights to anchor the grade 5 screws. This is the powder coated track from McMaster Carr. Another view:

And this is how I had the harness maker stitch the seatbelts, we doubled the seatbelt webbing through the latches to prevent wear of the webbing:

Now I see I need to pull the bars out and out and give them a coat of zinc primer and use new screws!
Good luck,

Jim M.
712W and 710M
Gear
United States of America

Post by Gear »

Thanks Jim. The pictures are worth a thousand words. I will post up some photographs of my install as soon as it is done. Still waiting on the E track.
Justin Pitcairn

Ursa Minor J30 Camper
texas pinzgauer

e-track installation details

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Let's see if I have posted these correctly. :o

Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494