Rear steps, which ones work best?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
texas pinzgauer

Rear steps, which ones work best?

Post by texas pinzgauer »

My previous 710 came with Thilo's single step model and it worked great. My current 712 came with a full length step (I believe it was from CWR) and the springs are insufficent for the step to stay up without a bungie cord.

Is there a "best" rear step out there that folks have used successfully that's cost effective or has anyone modified the CWR model with additional or beefier springs?

Photos will be useful as always!
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: Rear steps, which ones work best?

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I run Tim's rear bumper with the tire carrier and jerry can holder so I had Tim modify the rear step to be longer and add two additional springs. This keeps the step up high and tight. I believe CWR has added a second set of springs to theirs in the "newer" models. the originals only had the two outer springs and would not always stay up.
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

I don't have a rear step on my 712. I've seen the wide one you posted under the Classified ads, but I don't particularly care for it much.

As previously commented upon, the ones with the single springs always seem to sag down. I've not seen one with double springs, but a guy could always replace the single with a stronger single spring, I'd think.

A problem I saw on the truck I worked on was that it had slightly wider tires, so the wider spare kept the step from folding up properly.

Another issue I'd have is that you cannot use this step if you've got a trailer attached. If it's up, you can't put it down in order to open the door without disconnecting your trailer. If it's down, you can't raise it w/o disconnecting it. What a pain.

It also puts the strain on the bumper bolts, when the step is down.

I've always had the idea for a single narrow step which would fold down sideways, and be attached to two bumper bolts on the pass. side of the truck. I planned on designing it to clear the door, spare, and trailer. I figured with the smaller design, a spring could easily hold it up, and it wouldn't interfere with things. I haven't gotten around to fabbing it up yet, so who knows???

So far, I just carry a plastic milk crate for people to step on.

And then there's the adage I saw on a Jeep once: Lift it up, Fat Chicks can't jump!
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I had tim fab up a single step when I pull the trailer. Just remove the two hinge pins and put the single in place of one of the hinge pins. So far his step has stayed up on my trucks. The biggest difference between cwr step and tims is the way the spring attaches to the mounting bracket. The oval link allows the spring to move up and put more tension holding the step up. I do have the widened rims on my 712 along with tims bumper,jerry can holder and spare tire carrier. I have had a rear step on my 712 since jan of '04 and have not seen any ill effects from the bolts being strained. The step on the other hand has been replaced 4 times. I just can't seem to remember to put the darn thing up. Would be real nice if it were integrated into the doors action but I am not going to hang some goofy electric step on my truck.
I can open my rear door with the larger step in place as long as the truck and trailer are parked on level ground or the trailer is on lower ground than the truck. The step is still unusable with the trailer hooked up so the passengers just use the trailer tongue.

I know one guy who put an RV type accordion step in his bed. When the door is open he swings the step assembly down and it expands to the ground. this limits storage but he only carries passengers so no big deal to him.
stevo

Post by stevo »

I've been considering the Westin Truck Pal tailgate ladder; it's a four step, tri-fold aluminum ladder which bolts onto any flat area (like the rear floor). Their web site says it will fit upto a 38" deck height. Since I just intend to carry passengers (mostly my grand-kids), I'm not concerned about loss of "useable floor space". In fact, I've been working on an idea for a removable hand-rail system for the ladder to help them get in and out.
Cheers, Stevo
No matter where you go, there you are!
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Bob used something like this. Seems to work for him.
Attachments
step.jpg
step.jpg (8.42 KiB) Viewed 5512 times
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

I have the double spring cwr step. Thelo's is better in every way. my step stays up tho and i have no problems with wider tires. Image

If i was to do it again I ask Brian M. to share pics of his mount. Personally i never liked the cwr step. for all the reasons undys posted. also the passenger in the back can't open the door if the step is up.
ElectraPinz

Post by ElectraPinz »

I came up with this design last summer. It has three positions (Normal Tow, Hi Tow and Hi Stow), which are determined by the height of the trailer hitch or terrain conditions. So far, it has worked out fine for me, but I don't do extreme off-roading - just stick to normal Colorado 4-wheel roads.
Attachments
Hitch Step Hi Stow S.jpg
Hitch Step Hi Stow S.jpg (11.67 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
Hitch Step Hi Tow S.jpg
Hitch Step Hi Tow S.jpg (13.66 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
Hitch Step Normal S.jpg
Hitch Step Normal S.jpg (13.77 KiB) Viewed 5193 times
undysworld
Norway

Post by undysworld »

but I don't do extreme off-roading - just stick to normal Colorado 4-wheel roads.
Yeah, right. Wouldn't you be the same guy who's Pinz is about to go a$$ over teakettle into the chasm? You should have written that you don't intentionally do extreme off-roading.

Maybe it was that step...?

Sorry, just ribbing you. I couldn't resist. :lol: :lol:
Twin Pinzies

Post by Twin Pinzies »

I have been using CWR's single (double spring) step for seven years now. The only issue I have had was the springs breaking where they connect. After replacing the original springs (with stronger ones), I have had no problems and should get at least another seven years out of them.
The full size wide step is heavy and seems to struggle staying in the upright position. It's also overkill if you realize that you only step down with ONE foot at a time.
ElectraPinz

Post by ElectraPinz »

Hey Undysworld

Good point!! :?

Actually that step helped save my sorry hide. :)

Ben