24v - 120v Inverter

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
totaljoint

24v - 120v Inverter

Post by totaljoint »

Occasionally it's nice to have 120v power, so I'm considering a 24v invertor.
Will be running power tools, compressor, etc..
Does it make a big difference running a modified sine wave vs. pure sine wave inverter, if no computer electronics will be plugged in?
Anyone have any experience with these for reccomendations?
Thanks,
Ed
yaknowthatguy
United States of America

Re: 24v - 120v Inverter

Post by yaknowthatguy »

if you're looking at small motors and such, modified sine or square wave are probably alright. for electronics, a sine wave inverter is way better.

I have a 1200 watt inverter on my diesel F350 that I got from invertersrus.com. It's been just fine, handled heavy loads, and is built pretty well. It's not nearly as good as a xantrex, but it's also not near as expensive. I'm happy with it. They also supply 24v inverters.

One trick I've used - a small UPS inline with the inverter. The UPS helps to condition the power a bit and probably makes the laptop happier. It's not as perfect as a sine wave, or as a AC-DC-AC UPS..... but again, not nearly the expense either.
712 amb. under construction.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

They are handy! I use it to power my tools while working on the truck. Wish they made one that was 12/24v switchable.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

I have a PowerBright ML1500-24 http://www.powerbright.com/ML1500-24.html that came with my Pinz. Works OK however I’m more likely to use my Honda eu2000i if I need AC power, don’t have to worry about draining the batteries that way and as a bonus I can always use the Honda to charge the truck batteries if needed. If I ever get around to installing a couple more auxiliary batteries I may be more inclined to use the inverter.

For 12 volt gear I have a DC-300 30 amp 24 volt to 12 volt converter http://www.neuron.com.hk/product/dc.html as well as a standalone 100 ah battery (charge it at home before use or with the Honda generator in the field). That way I can run the ham radio gear and some 12 volt light without being concerned about the truck batteries.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
Jimm391730
United States of America

Post by Jimm391730 »

I have a 1500W Samlex modified sine wave inverter that I use to run a small microwave. The microwave "complains" a bit (makes slightly more noise) but otherwise works just fine and has been doing so for 8 years.

The Samlex inverter cost about $300 back when I got it but is a 24V input. I once accidentally reversed the input polarity and blew all 8 automotive blade fuses inside, but replaced the fuses and corrected the polarity and all is well. Seems much more dependable then their 24-12V converters.

BTW, I have a 2000W 12V input inverter that I don't use -- Anyone who needs it, make me an offer.
Jim M.
712W and 710M