Soft Hard Door Top Hybrid?

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
milesdzyn

Soft Hard Door Top Hybrid?

Post by milesdzyn »

Didn't want to muck up the "Show me your box" thread, but 4x4 Pinz post gave me a notion.
4x4Pinz wrote:the door top without the glass
I to feel that removing the upper door section and having to store them is a hassle. I was wondering if making an insert that was designed after the soft top door sections would work. Some type of a metal frame with fabric wrap and a zippered vinyl window section that could just be zipped in and out. Has anyone done anything like this?

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Re: Soft Hard Door Top Hybrid?

Post by David Dunn »

There were feelers out on that a few years back...I would assume not enough interest to warrant production.
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

David.... I wasn't thinking of the whole top section, just a insert for the glass area. It would be much easier to make and to store when not in use. Well I guess I just talked myself into making a set, now if I just had 30 hrs in a day.

Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
David Dunn
United States of America

Post by David Dunn »

Miles,
take a roll of saran wrap and wrap once around the frame.... no need to clean, just throw away and re-wrap. :lol: :wink:

There are aluminum frame material for making storm windows... depending on how fancy you want to make the inserts
The Trojan Horse... the 1st Pinz used to covertly carry troops into battle .

ATL Pinzgauer XM 718K TUM(HD) 6x6 FFR (aka The Green Grail)
Erik712m

Post by Erik712m »

Miles , search the Yahoo photos believe Tom or as Pinztrek post (heffie) made a set of Velcro windows for the his blue punz and later hafflinger. Not Brian M topbut Looked nice enough. Or go with Dave's Wrap idea :D
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

I just want to be able to stick out more than one arm out the window. Thou if I were riding with some of you guys sticking out just one appendage would be enough :twisted: :lol:

But seriously I just hate the window setup, with the window channels and rain leakage. Removing and replacing the door tops just isn't going to cut it for me. I'll just have to muddle it over in my head for a while but the sliding glass has got to go.

Miles

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Miles
I actually built this box around the ideas that were being thrown around a few years ago. I have not left the glass out as I am one of those who prefers to have the door tops completely off as much as possible. If you notice on my 710 I made a cargo carrier over the cab and on my 712 there is a rack on the rear roof both of which are made to carry the door tops with me at all times.
That being said it would not take much to make an insert that did exactly as you mentioned. The area left behind where the window glass goes is easy to work with. The "manonamule" (sp?) from Tucson built a nice set of uppers that can be zipped down. The frames replace the uppers and are somewhat water tight for those occasional summer rain storms we get here in the desert. Hopefully he will post up some pics of his handy work.
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
texas pinzgauer

Post by texas pinzgauer »

Rather than disassembling the door tops, just try removing them and building a rack such as the one I designed and had a buddy fabricate for me.

http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =18&t=5348

If you need more photos, PM me.

David
Looking for next new (for me) toy
1974 712M - sold
1973 710M - sold

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id ... 3094951494