top rack for my pinz

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

top rack for my pinz

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Well the rack is almost done and should get to the powder coating company, hopefully Monday. Here are some of the test fit pictures I took of it. The clamps are now removed and all the bolts are in, just some final sanding and it is ready.

trying to decide between Tuscan Black or Hammerstone Black??? for a finish.
milesdzyn

Re: top rack for my pinz

Post by milesdzyn »

Looks like a nice lightweight solution, should be easy enough to get on and off.

Is it welded to the back brace or mechanically fastened? Would make for compact storage when not in use if that back brace folded or bolted off.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Yes the back hoop, if you will, is cut into two pieces with a support tube inside to give back the strength lost by the cut. The rack is bolted to the hoop and to the bracket at the front. The whole lot will be able to fit inside the basket when not in use. Just to head off any questions about why not full width, I have plans for a canopy on the side of the rack and did not want it hanging up on those pesky branches. I did manage to get up and walk around on it after it was bolted together, surprisingly stout considering how light it is.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Oooops, should have read your post before i PM'd ya! Sorry about that.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Is the arch mounted into the vertical section of the stock bumper? I see you have a modified rear bumper, but it almost appears like the end sections are stock like.

I'm looking at this design... and thinking of one which could "easily" work on either a 710 or 712. The 712 would look exactly like yours (but longer). Add an additional mounting plate 31" back and you could bolt it to a 710 as well.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have a Yakima rack on my 712. When I purchased it I purchased and extension kit. I am sure that if one was so inclined the same principal could be used to make this rack with an extension kit that would work with a 712. My main concern would be the distance span and it ability to handle the weight without running a second support down to the side rails. In my case I am not looking at putting much more than light camping gear up on top.

Yes I do have one of Tim's rear bumpers along with side rails. The uprights on the rear bumper terminate in the same location as the bumperettes. The hoops will fit both stock and Tim's bumper so that is not an issue.

Now to throw a real twist at you. I am also looking at an idea to make this a sleeping area. As I said before I kept it narrow to accommodate an awning. Lets say the awning is drawn over the truck and not away from the truck and a support hoop was made to carry the center peak, something like a tent. You would have a very versatile set up. I have an idea for a deck that can be removed, stored and reinstalled easily as I don't like expanded metal (far too noisy). Once I get my rack back from powder coating I can play with these options.
milesdzyn

Post by milesdzyn »

4x4Pinz wrote:Now to throw a real twist at you. I am also looking at an idea to make this a sleeping area. As I said before I kept it narrow to accommodate an awning. Lets say the awning is drawn over the truck and not away from the truck and a support hoop was made to carry the center peak, something like a tent. You would have a very versatile set up. I have an idea for a deck that can be removed, stored and reinstalled easily as I don't like expanded metal (far too noisy). Once I get my rack back from powder coating I can play with these options.
Lots of good ideas can't wait to see what you end up with, I really like the dual use of the canopy.

Miles
Lots of Pinz pictures here.......
http://picasaweb.google.com/pinzgauer.depository.1

'73 Pinzgauer 712M
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I had trouble finding people around here that were willing to take money for some sewing projects so I bought a small commercial machine. I have a whole new world ahead of me and lots of ideas I can pull out of the closet. I was able to find a canopy guy that will sell me scraps (15yds and under) of OD green 1000din cordura for the price he gets for mixed scraps. The color is just perfect for the Pinz and is somewhat water repellent. Going to be a fun year for pinz projects for sure.
krick3tt

Post by krick3tt »

I inherited a commercial machine from my Dad and it is amazing what it can do. Only sews a straight stitch
but it will go through several layers of leather. Enjoy your new toy.
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
wudog

Post by wudog »

I'll be the first to buy some of your products Gentlemen.

V/R David
USA, Love it or leave, stop bitching.
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

well the powder coat people got the rack back sooner than expected. Flat black with a small texture to break up any shine that might occur. I just don't like shiny mil trucks.
yeah I noticed I did not have it hooked all the way. I made the ladder so it could be placed anywhere along the side or back of the rack, obviously the cab keeps it from the front :)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I really like this! Nice job on the ladder as well.

Who owns that 712 in the back? The toughing choice im having to make is which truck gets the rack
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

Both trucks are mine. Some of the info on it can be found in this thread
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =18&t=6230

I have a smaller rack on my 712 as the space inside is just not as limited as in the 710. I keep changing my trucks as different needs arise. One of the nicest things about the pinz is it can handle all sorts of remodels/additions without modifying the truck itself. I do try very hard to not change the core truck, that is with a little time I can just take the mods off and have a basic truck. I don't know why I worry about modifying the core truck as I don't think it will ever be a collectible. When I do find it necessary to modify something I buy another piece and keep the originals.