How did you mount your airhorn? (m series)

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
Mac

How did you mount your airhorn? (m series)

Post by Mac »

I know all of you lucky K series fellows could mount it pretty much anywhere- but where have you mounted an airhorn in your M? I'm trying to figure out where to not only add the trumpets, but the small on demand \ instant compressor as well (needs to stay dry) ....Ideas?? Experiences?

By the way, I'm keeping the standard horn as I love the euro sound! These airhorns are a Martinshorn ripoff (alternating horns are NC legal!) :twisted:
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Re: How did you mount your airhorn? (m series)

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I put the trumpets in the air tunnel and the on demand compressor in the space over the air tunnel behind the locker slave cylinders. I put a momentary on switch on the side of the dash panel so it would have its own switch and not be tied to the original horn for those times when you don't want to be as obnoxious. You can see it in the lower left of the grill.
Attachments
100_3307 (Small).JPG
100_3307 (Small).JPG (66.33 KiB) Viewed 3632 times
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Nice tires!
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
captxmas

Post by captxmas »

I mounted my air horn in the same location with a small compressor behind the drivers seat. Compressor serves the horn and air tools when necessary. 2.5 gallon air tanks works well and compressor gets power from an inverter.
Capt Xmas
Mac

Post by Mac »

4x4, First off- thats sick looking. I love it!

is extra stuff in the air channel not a concern? (restricting flow, etc)

Unrelated questions- how did you mount that hi-lift?
What is in your horn spot? Is that a blackout light? (we can do that???)
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

I have an oil temp gauge in my truck, not a real efficient way to check temps but does give you an idea of what is going on. The temp on the truck does not change a whole lot with the one horn installed. Even a large winch mounted in front of the grill does not effect the air flow enough to change the temperature.

The black out light is located in the factory position and connected to the switch inside the truck. If you look behind the grill you will see where the horn is mounted when a black out light is installed. They are all factory installed mounts, just another good idea by the designers.

The hi lift is mounted using a mount that can be obtained at any 4X shop. I just drilled the holes in the brackets to line up with the factory mounts that would have been used to hold the antenna tubes. There are a number of guys who use this location for their jacks.
Mac

Post by Mac »

Since I have a very large winch mounted high instead of low- the majority of the air comes in under the winch. I decided to mount the horns up instead of down so they would leave most of what airflow is still there, not to mention easier to deal with the air lines.

Thank you 4x4 for the idea on where to put them.
1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP
Mac

Post by Mac »

Just wanted to extend another thank you for giving me the hi-lift mounting spot idea..... If I'm not careful, we could end up with matching pinzs! :? :lol:

1974 710M
1951 M37 for sale
2003 BMW 330i zHP