any modifications

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
comfortdental

any modifications

Post by comfortdental »

i am getting a pinz this month and am wondering what everyone would recommend as far as aftermarket parts goes. almost like a wish list i can use as a template for future modifications! thank you all for your imput
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale
krick3tt

Re: any modifications

Post by krick3tt »

Before you start modifying it...I recommend that you drive it under various conditions.

Go with some other pinz owners and get a 'hang' of its performance and then make decisions based on your driving style. You might
find that the machine is so well designed that there are few things you may wish to add to improve its performance.
There may be some things to install to increase your comfort but that is such an individual thing that quite probably
no one could really give you a wish list.

Make sure that it is performing well and all fluids and levers and such are working well and as designed.

See what other drivers have and go from there. I have things on mine that after 6 years have increased my
comfort level and some have even been salvaged from my previous Mog, they all fit.

Happy trails

edit: Oh yeah where are you?
Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him:
better take a closer look at the American Indian.---Henry Ford
BobbyD
United States of America

Post by BobbyD »

Depending on what is already on the vehicle...
Basics: Better tail lights, Better head lights, backup light functionality, ear plugs, laminated windshield, towel for checking the oil

Cool stuff: read these threads on the forum...
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =17&t=6335
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =17&t=6333
http://real4x4forums.com/PinzgauerBBS/v ... =17&t=6334

Take the time to go through the forum topics "Owner customizations & accessories" and "Body & Interior". There is a serious amount of information here (don't forget the archives). Also, look over the sponsor's (http://www.expedition-imports.com/) site for both stock and aftermarket parts. The folks on the forum are mighty helpful and have tremendous experience, knowledge and opinions.

Please note that if this forum disappeared.... well, it would be bad (crossing the beams bad), so send a tip (that "paypal" button at the top) to the forum keeper.

Robert

edit: What krick3tt said...
1971 710K S
N2PNZ
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Best addition so far: http://www.tractorsupply.com/agricultur ... en-0291300

Otherwise get yourself some manuals, 10MM allen head sockets, 80w gear oil and a decent 24v to 12v converter. We can keep on going once you get those set. Lots and lots of room to add new toys.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
psychoman

Post by psychoman »

Agree with the above - try it out, make sure it works like its meant to and go from there. Only thing I've really felt the need to do is add a 24/12v dropper to run satnav etc - pretty much anything else is a nice to have and down to personal preference and taste, I guess. Welcome to Pinzgauer ownership, BTW! 8)
It aint what you drive, its the way that you drive it...
VinceAtReal4x4s
Admin
United States of America

Post by VinceAtReal4x4s »

This may not count exactly, but without a doubt, the best aftermarket item is a good set of radial tires. For myself, a 24v Superwinch comes in 2nd, 3rd is a steering wheel wrap of some kind.
"For those who risk, life has a flavor the protected shall never enjoy"

Your donation makes this site possible!

audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

I have a hunch this is the fine gentleman that purchased my 710. If thats the case, my suggestion of the steering knob and a drop down converter are already included. So are radial tires. I also forgot to tell him that it has the super bright bulbs in it. The windshield is already laminated. Anyways...

A back up light would be handy on that one and snag a better rear view mirror. The winch is a stellar idea. I like the one on my 712. I've been designing a winch system using the Harbor Freight 2" receiver Winch Mount. Its portable and capable for both the front and rear of the vehicle. The trick is wiring, its a little more expensive to run 4 gauge and connectors to front and rear, but given the useful nature, well worth it. Plus you get to use it on multiple vehicles!

I vote tunes... A basic little amplifier and a set of cheap Boss speakers from Amazon work fine.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
comfortdental

Post by comfortdental »

im located in new mexico, i live in the mountians so i hope to do some mountain trails, but for now with fires, and such i am forced into sand. would anyone recommend a new set of seats, ive been looking at some corbeau suspension seats with harnesses but im not sure if they will fit. i bought a 74 710 m from thilo kass. it has a brush guard on the front, i also would like to put a custom key in place of the battery shutoff. im not sure about any of this and feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
thank you
1974 710m
Ford excursion For sale
Toyota scionFor sale
edzz
United States of America

Post by edzz »

comfortdental wrote: i also would like to put a custom key in place of the battery shutoff. im not sure about any of this and feedback would be greatly appreciated! :)
thank you
Rather than altering the power cutoff switch I would suggest putting a ignition and or starter interrupt switch under the dash or some such location.
Cum catapultae proscriptae erunt tum soli proscript catapultas habebunt.
StuartL
Great Britain

Post by StuartL »

comfortdental wrote:i also would like to put a custom key in place of the battery shutoff.
I've also looked at doing this (for security reasons). The highest current rating key switches I can find are about 10A, which is nowhere near what's required for the battery isolator. I have wondered about using the key switch to isolate a relay (solenoid in automotive speak, but not technically correct :)) which is switching the high currents. This bothers me slightly in that I'd then have a relay to maintain and I'd have to find somewhere secure to put the relay which I can get to if I need to.

I've also considered using a very high current MOSFET. These are very easy to acquire, quite cheap and not too difficult to protect from electrical noise. The disadvantages are that you need to build a protection circuit around them (easyish) and that they dissipate a lot of heat at very high currents (i.e. 100-300W at starting currents) so need to be heat-sunk somehow, usually by bolting them to the body.

Like Edzz I kinda gave up here and figured that I don't need to isolate all of the electrics. I only need to isolate the ignition and starter circuit and I can rely on the combination of the isolator key and whatever I come up with to solve the security issue.

I haven't yet implemented anything but I've considered putting a key switch inline with the power to the Pertronix Ignitor. This would be trivial to implement and would prevent the engine being started even by bump starting.

I've also considered replacing the ignition switch itself with a key switch. This is a lower current circuit so isn't so much of an issue but the dash isn't exactly a secure place to put wiring and bypassing a key switch would be as easy as pulling some wires and shorting them out.
UK Virtual Assistant services in English: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/
Winter Beater

Post by Winter Beater »

What about an rv battery disconnect directly on the +ve terminal and a good padlock on the battery box ?