CB console

Build projects, things that guys have come up with to make a Pinz better (or worse?) and aftermarket add-ons.
StuartL
Great Britain

CB console

Post by StuartL »

Simple CB console manufactured out of 6mm ply. Has 24v-12v 30A DC-DC converter, Kernow 2100GTL 80-channel CB, two 12v cigarette lighter sockets and two USB ports. The cigarette lighter sockets and USB ports are hidden in the cubby-hole above the CB which has velcro to hold phones etc out of the way. The light in the first photo is a cheapo map reading light bought from Maplin for an extortionate £4 (about $6). It serves as both an interior light in the dark and a light for the CB display which isn't backlit. The console is held at the front by the visor mounting bolts and at the rear by a plate under the antenna mount with a long bolt. You can see the head of the bolt in the photos.

The antenna mount is a 141mm diameter stainless steel disc with five holes cut in it and the 3/8" antenna mount bolted through the middle.

Little bit of wiring to tidy up (you can see the 24v power loose in the second console photo) and the edges could do with sanding and repainting. Otherwise I'm very pleased with it.
UK Virtual Assistant services in English: http://www.seekingserenity.co.uk/
spandit

Re: CB console

Post by spandit »

Looks good - can you hear the CB when the engine's running, though? My installation won't be as neat as that...
--

Robin

Pinzgauer 710K
MegaJolt ignition
(upgrading to MicroSquirt)
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Any idea what that single wingnut is for? I have one as well at that exact location.

I mounted my CB facing forward off of that bolt. Puts the speaker right above my ear and keeps it out of site. I like the idea for the CB ant through the center plate! I wonder if it would leak though.
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
1978 GMC Palm Beach (Hey, its got 6 wheels!!)
StuartL
Great Britain

Post by StuartL »

spandit wrote:Looks good - can you hear the CB when the engine's running, though? My installation won't be as neat as that...
Yes, the photos aren't at the right angle to see it but there's four large-ish holes under the CB to allow the sound free access to the air-space in the cab. I haven't actually had chance to test it while motoring yet but certainly when the volume is up and I turn the squelch off it's deafeningly loud!
audiocontr wrote:Any idea what that single wingnut is for? I have one as well at that exact location.

I mounted my CB facing forward off of that bolt. Puts the speaker right above my ear and keeps it out of site. I like the idea for the CB ant through the center plate! I wonder if it would leak though.
That wingnut appears to be a locking nut, not sure why it's there. Maybe someone else did a CB installation the same way you did?

The antenna mount seems pretty good, there's a rubber disc under the antenna to act as an insulator and seal so I doubt it would leak much if at all. It's also done up as tight as I dared without risking the plastic/rubber integrity.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

Does that rubber seal prevent the ant from grounding though?
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
StuartL
Great Britain

Post by StuartL »

No, the stud mount I've used has the 'live' antenna connection as a 3/8" single pole stud connection. That connection is isolated from the chassis using a plastic shield and the aforementioned rubber insulator. The chassis ground (and my ground plane) is achieved with the bottom half of the stud mount which electrically connects the RG58 shield to the stainless plate. There's no ground connection to the antenna itself, it's just conveniently shaped and tuned springy piece of wire.
audiocontr
United States of America

Post by audiocontr »

yup, understood
1973 712m
1968 Haflinger
1965 Pathfinder
4x4Pinz
United States of America

Post by 4x4Pinz »

If you do have trouble hearing the CB a simple external CB speaker works great mounted just below the head bump guard.
cruzoropeza

Post by cruzoropeza »

Nice!